[Football] Graham Potter OUT

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Imagine how easy it is being spence these past three years. "Supporting" a bottom half team who will lose more than they win. And at EVERY possible juncture, saying "we'll lose I told you so I was right".

Being a doom-monger is the easiest thing in the world. You just say it will all go to shit, then you disappear into insignificance when it doesn't.

Under Potter we have started playing a brand of football which is exciting and will create chances. We missed out on points in two key games because of one idiot and one lapse of concentration in the 90th minute. We lost 4-0 to the best team in the world (and played well), we dominated Newcastle away, had a goal disallowed and one millimeters away and we've just lost to a Chelsea side who were very good and we had key players out.

Villa I'm not even mentioning, we don't and have never given a stuff about the league cup.

We are NOT suffering because of the incompetence of a manager. He was incredible in Sweden and very good in the Championship. His tactics are progressive and positive. I think we need a couple of additions, but I see us honestly transforming into a real Premier League side under Potter rather than another also-ran.

But if we lose next week I'll **** all that and jump on the "he's a disgrace and has got to go" bandwagon. That seems like the easiest thing for my tiny little brain to go with.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Whilst I am miles away from the Potter out camp and enjoy the way we play, I do think that this may well be the season we drop back to the championship. The manager hasn't got the attacking players needed to win enough games in my opinion. If the decision to sack the manager in the summer was taken because the football was turgid and boring I can totally understand that, but if it was because those in charge thought we should have been free scoring and exciting and it was all down to Hughton that we weren't, I think that decision may prove to be incorrect.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
If I recall, when Potter took over Swansea it took them a good dozen games before they started seeing the benefits of his playing style.
So I'm not that surprised that we're struggling as it will take time.

It's a huge shift from one playing style to the other and if we go down then I can still see Potter here. Why? As has been said Bloom has got this long term vision of us playing a particular attractive style whilst giving youth a chance. It could take a couple of years before we see what Potterball is really about, but patience is going to be key here.

Based on what I've seen so far, I don't think we'll end up in the bottom 3 this season as it looks like there are worse teams out there who are really struggling.

I also think we will lose to Spurs but I'm looking to the Villa and Everton games to see what progress we've made with (hopefully) a near enough full strength side (bar Izzy).

Once key players are back I can see us picking up more than enough points to survive.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Christ on a bike .....

You could excuse the OP if he were a twelve year old lad who has only seen the club over the last couple of seasons, and even then I'd question his / her judgement.

We are gaining points and we're not going to get many against the likes of Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool, but we will against Norwich, Sheff Utd, Newcastle etc, yes maybe a draw or two along the way but we only need 36 points for safety. #Potterball is going to take more than five games to be come embedded and to compare Potter's style of play to Hyppia is laughable.

I've enjoyed watching the Albion at so many of its different levels over the years and I believe this is going to be seen as a golden era, it'll take time but it'll click.

#keepthefaith #upthealbion #potterball

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
This thread is an absolute shambles.

Is there reason to be a little worried/concerned? I would say maybe yes, just because we haven't picked up the points our performances have deserved and in some winnable fixtures.

But every single game this season bar away trips to Chelsea and Man City (obviously no disgrace), we have been the better team. We should have beaten West Ham, Burnley and Newcastle comfortably on the balance of play, and we largely matched Southampton playing with 10-men for an hour. Have people completely forgotten about the majority of the fixtures we've played this season?

I do agree that Spurs this weekend is a big match. Imagine the confidence boost a win would do for the team, against a Spurs team who have really struggled away from home recently. Based on performances alone, I don't think a win is completely out of the question... But let's get real here. How we do against the champions of England, the Europa League winners and the champions league finalists of last year is not going to define whether we stay up or not this season. Against the teams we should be looking to beat, we have been the better team in every game. That, surely, has to count for something? I personally think we'll start picking up victories very soon, hopefully before Trossards return. If not, I think he could make a massive difference.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The defending under him has been nothing but shambolic. He is the new Hyypia. Get this clown out now. The warning signs were there weeks ago. You made a massive mistake Bloom appointing him so hold your hands up and admit you got it wrong. Sack him.

Terrible defending and no goals. Every match we all over over the place at the back it's fecking disgraceful.

POTTER OUT

And yet the shambolic defending has conceded less goals than in the same games last year, and the five (not no) goals we have scored, is two better than the three we managed in these games last year.

Here are the per game averages from the seven games we have played this season and the same games from last season. (Excuse the shambolic table setting)

Season - 2018 - 2019
Goal Scored - 0.43 - 0.71
Goals Against - 1.57 - 1.43
Shots For - 8.57 - 11.00
Shots Against - 17.86 - 12.43
Shots For OT - 2.14 - 3.14
Shots Against OT - 4.86 - 4.14
Possession - 42.00 - 55.29
Points - 6 - 6

Goals scored, goals against, shots for, shots against, shots on target, shots on target conceded and possession are all better in 2019. Points gained are identical. I'll repeat the question that you ignored when I asked it in another thread:

These are the things that have got better, what has got worse?

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
To early to call.

Massive injury list and did Potter have any say in Knockhaert, Andone, Locadia moving out. We could certainly do with them at the moment. I would think this was decided by Ashworth so he needs to take the blame.

When is the next goal coming ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
To early to call.

Massive injury list and did Potter have any say in Knockhaert, Andone, Locadia moving out. We could certainly do with them at the moment. I would think this was decided by Ashworth so he needs to take the blame.

When is the next goal coming ?

No need to blame anyone, we have better players in the squad to replace. Injuries is just bad luck

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To early to call.

What's to blame? I'm happier with Maupay, Alzate and Connolly than those three.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
This thread is an absolute shambles.

Is there reason to be a little worried/concerned? I would say maybe yes, just because we haven't picked up the points our performances have deserved and in some winnable fixtures.

But every single game this season bar away trips to Chelsea and Man City (obviously no disgrace), we have been the better team. We should have beaten West Ham, Burnley and Newcastle comfortably on the balance of play, and we largely matched Southampton playing with 10-men for an hour. Have people completely forgotten about the majority of the fixtures we've played this season?

I do agree that Spurs this weekend is a big match. Imagine the confidence boost a win would do for the team, against a Spurs team who have really struggled away from home recently. Based on performances alone, I don't think a win is completely out of the question... But let's get real here. How we do against the champions of England, the Europa League winners and the champions league finalists of last year is not going to define whether we stay up or not this season. Against the teams we should be looking to beat, we have been the better team in every game. That, surely, has to count for something? I personally think we'll start picking up victories very soon, hopefully before Trossards return. If not, I think he could make a massive difference.

I agree with the basis of your argument.

The problem is, we didn’t win against Burnley, Southampton or West Ham - and those are exactly the games we need to. We haven’t scored enough goals and are in a broadly similar position to last season when we were heavily reliant on two strikers, one of whom is Glenn Murray. Trossard is good, but it’s not like we’ve got Ronaldo coming back.

The football is better and I think we are still feeling our way a bit, but we need to start scoring, and quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The defending under him has been nothing but shambolic. He is the new Hyypia. Get this clown out now. The warning signs were there weeks ago. You made a massive mistake Bloom appointing him so hold your hands up and admit you got it wrong. Sack him.

Terrible defending and no goals. Every match we all over over the place at the back it's fecking disgraceful.

POTTER OUT

spence OUT

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
spence OUT

Um, I think he is OUT, in fact.

And yet the shambolic defending has conceded less goals than in the same games last year, and the five (not no) goals we have scored, is two better than the three we managed in these games last year.

Here are the per game averages from the seven games we have played this season and the same games from last season. (Excuse the shambolic table setting)

Season - 2018 - 2019
Goal Scored - 0.43 - 0.71
Goals Against - 1.57 - 1.43
Shots For - 8.57 - 11.00
Shots Against - 17.86 - 12.43
Shots For OT - 2.14 - 3.14
Shots Against OT - 4.86 - 4.14
Possession - 42.00 - 55.29
Points - 6 - 6

Goals scored, goals against, shots for, shots against, shots on target, shots on target conceded and possession are all better in 2019. Points gained are identical. I'll repeat the question that you ignored when I asked it in another thread:

These are the things that have got better, what has got worse?

Good post.........this is a Monty Python sketch in the making.

What has Graham Potter ever done for us ??

Well, there's the better defensive record

Yeah, OK, but apart from that.............

......and more goals

OK, I'll give you the better defence and more goals, but what has Graham Potter ever done for us ?

There's much better possession............and more shots.............

etc

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A fair bit of bullying on this thread. I don't agree with the OP, but he has only expressed an opinion and backed it up with reasoning.

It's not actually unreasonable to hold the opinion that the manager carries the can for his team scoring one goal in five league matches after he'd made the decision to bin off statistically one of our two most dangerous wingers (Knocky) and then moved on two of only three recognised strikers from last season. He's also made the decision to keep Ali J, arguably the shittest player we've had in the Premier League.

So I don't agree with him for moaning about our defensive mistakes, I think that is the way we should expect to play (and everybody makes mistakes), but there are a couple of reasons I'm still well and truly on board with Potter:
1) I like his football philospohy - we play out from the back and he is giving kids a chance
2) He has actually been bitterly unlucky #1. Trossard is integral to this side (and I suspect Izquierdo will be too). I want to see what happens when they're both back.
3) He has actually been bitterly unlucky #2. We were worth 3 points against Burnley. And West Ham. And I suspect we'd have got something from Soton if Andone hadn't been a nob. And he's even addressed that by shipping him out.

I think when it clicks, we'll be fine. It's far too early to worry. Burnley looked in trouble last Christmas and look what happened to them.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If I recall, when Potter took over Swansea it took them a good dozen games before they started seeing the benefits of his playing style.
So I'm not that surprised that we're struggling as it will take time.

It's a huge shift from one playing style to the other and if we go down then I can still see Potter here. Why? As has been said Bloom has got this long term vision of us playing a particular attractive style whilst giving youth a chance. It could take a couple of years before we see what Potterball is really about, but patience is going to be key here.

Based on what I've seen so far, I don't think we'll end up in the bottom 3 this season as it looks like there are worse teams out there who are really struggling.

I also think we will lose to Spurs but I'm looking to the Villa and Everton games to see what progress we've made with (hopefully) a near enough full strength side (bar Izzy).

Once key players are back I can see us picking up more than enough points to survive.

Pretty much agree with the 12 game timeline during transition although it is easier picking a playing style in the lower leagues rather than the Prem. Bournemouth are a good example of practising their craft in League 1 and continuing it to the Prem, which means once you have the whole squad playing a certain way, only the new players have to adapt to the style rather than the whole squad.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No need to blame anyone, we have better players in the squad to replace. Injuries is just bad luck

We’ve had bad luck and only a short period for Potter to assess who’s “got it” and who hasn’t. He’s made decisions, given the youngsters a chance and only time will tell if it’s been worth it.

My concern is that there’s a group of managers/coaches in the PL who seem to think that playing out from the back is a rule change rather than a choice. Were they sent a different email?

Our 4 main CHs, Dunk, Duffy, Webster and Burn learned their football when CHs were picked for size, heading ability, strength and tackling. They didn’t grow up playing short one twos with their keeper, passing the ball across the 6 yard box, or inviting opponents to close them down and passing their way out of trouble.

When in doubt, kick it out was the mantra !!

I’m all for progress and enjoy good passing and keeping the ball. I also hate conceding soft goals when we don’t score many.

There, got that off my chest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports