Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Graham Potter OUT

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine how easy it is being spence these past three years. "Supporting" a bottom half team who will lose more than they win. And at EVERY possible juncture, saying "we'll lose I told you so I was right".

Being a doom-monger is the easiest thing in the world. You just say it will all go to shit, then you disappear into insignificance when it doesn't.

Under Potter we have started playing a brand of football which is exciting and will create chances. We missed out on points in two key games because of one idiot and one lapse of concentration in the 90th minute. We lost 4-0 to the best team in the world (and played well), we dominated Newcastle away, had a goal disallowed and one millimeters away and we've just lost to a Chelsea side who were very good and we had key players out.

Villa I'm not even mentioning, we don't and have never given a stuff about the league cup.

We are NOT suffering because of the incompetence of a manager. He was incredible in Sweden and very good in the Championship. His tactics are progressive and positive. I think we need a couple of additions, but I see us honestly transforming into a real Premier League side under Potter rather than another also-ran.

But if we lose next week I'll **** all that and jump on the "he's a disgrace and has got to go" bandwagon. That seems like the easiest thing for my tiny little brain to go with.
It's the disappearing that gets right on my tits.

If you're going to be 'that' poster then fine, crack on, but have the courage of your convictions and certainly have the stones to show your face when wrong.

Having what on the club all summer I see TSB cropping up again, after a month or off.

It's such a palace shitehouse move and one that would have my finger hovering over the ban button far more than any toxic bollox that's written.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
To early to call.

Massive injury list and did Potter have any say in Knockhaert, Andone, Locadia moving out. We could certainly do with them at the moment. I would think this was decided by Ashworth so he needs to take the blame.

When is the next goal coming ?

Saturday, one in each half, with no reply from Spurs, and by 3pm Spence will be eating humble pie...……..(along with several others)

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
[MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] IN! But cool your jets, man.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We’ve had bad luck and only a short period for Potter to assess who’s “got it” and who hasn’t. He’s made decisions, given the youngsters a chance and only time will tell if it’s been worth it.

My concern is that there’s a group of managers/coaches in the PL who seem to think that playing out from the back is a rule change rather than a choice. Were they sent a different email?

Our 4 main CHs, Dunk, Duffy, Webster and Burn learned their football when CHs were picked for size, heading ability, strength and tackling. They didn’t grow up playing short one twos with their keeper, passing the ball across the 6 yard box, or inviting opponents to close them down and passing their way out of trouble.

When in doubt, kick it out was the mantra !!

I’m all for progress and enjoy good passing and keeping the ball. I also hate conceding soft goals when we don’t score many.

There, got that off my chest

I completely agree . . . It should be a string on the bow, not a way of life. To be fair we did more than enough fannying around in defence last season and the season before. Duffy gifted Huddersfield a goal with a schoolboy pass at home . . . it's just we've turned pro at it this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it is a little early to be talking of sacking Graham Potter BUT the current situation and lack of points cannot be allowed to continue for too long. I think that we look poor in defence and not looking likely to score and that is the recipe for failure. He needs to get a grip very soon. I am not convinced by his 2 big buys as I am not sure that they are better than we had.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agreed. Have an opinion, that’s good. If you’re not offering an opinion you shouldn’t really be contributing to a forum. But stand by it come what may.

I thought Hughton had lost the plot last November. I knew he had to go and we were only going in one direction. 3 wins in 23 later and I was right.

On the other hand, I genuinely thought England would lose the Ashes 4-0 or 5-0 and I posted that at the start. I was embarrassingly wrong.

It doesn’t matter, it’s just a forum.

I hope a number of the posters take note of that.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I feel more positive and excited about the Albion than at anytime in their Premier League stay.
It's likely that any 3 teams from Brighton, Palace, Watford, Newcastle, Burnley, Southampton, Villa, Norwich and Sheffield Utd could go down.
Luck will play a huge part and only a few points will separate the survivors from the relegated sides.
So even if we play well and get around 38 points we still have about a 33% chance of going down.
Therefore we might as well have some fun on the way and try and be positive in our approach to games.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A fair bit of bullying on this thread. I don't agree with the OP, but he has only expressed an opinion and backed it up with reasoning.

It's not actually unreasonable to hold the opinion that the manager carries the can for his team scoring one goal in five league matches after he'd made the decision to bin off statistically one of our two most dangerous wingers (Knocky) and then moved on two of only three recognised strikers from last season. He's also made the decision to keep Ali J, arguably the shittest player we've had in the Premier League.

So I don't agree with him for moaning about our defensive mistakes, I think that is the way we should expect to play (and everybody makes mistakes), but there are a couple of reasons I'm still well and truly on board with Potter:
1) I like his football philospohy - we play out from the back and he is giving kids a chance
2) He has actually been bitterly unlucky #1. Trossard is integral to this side (and I suspect Izquierdo will be too). I want to see what happens when they're both back.
3) He has actually been bitterly unlucky #2. We were worth 3 points against Burnley. And West Ham. And I suspect we'd have got something from Soton if Andone hadn't been a nob. And he's even addressed that by shipping him out.

I think when it clicks, we'll be fine. It's far too early to worry. Burnley looked in trouble last Christmas and look what happened to them.

If someone expresses an opinion and others either express their opinion or say it's way to soon to make such statements how is that bullying. Has bullying become the new term for people don't agree with me?*.

*BTW if you don't agree with this statement you're the bully!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If someone expresses an opinion and others either express their opinion or say it's way to soon to make such statements how is that bullying. Has bullying become the new term for people don't agree with me?*.

*BTW if you don't agree with this statement you're the bully!

Er, that isn't bullying, so I wasn't referring to people doing that.

Obviously.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its fairly obvious the OP is an attention-seeking WUM. Declaring that a manager should be sacked after SEVEN games in charge is weapons grade bell-endery. He richly deserves all the derision, flack and bullying raining down on him on this thread.

He asked for it.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
To early to call.

Massive injury list and did Potter have any say in Knockhaert, Andone, Locadia moving out. We could certainly do with them at the moment. I would think this was decided by Ashworth so he needs to take the blame.

When is the next goal coming ?

Harry Kane on Saturday :down:

boik

I agree with the basis of your argument.

The problem is, we didn’t win against Burnley, Southampton or West Ham - and those are exactly the games we need to. We haven’t scored enough goals and are in a broadly similar position to last season when we were heavily reliant on two strikers, one of whom is Glenn Murray. Trossard is good, but it’s not like we’ve got Ronaldo coming back.

The football is better and I think we are still feeling our way a bit, but we need to start scoring, and quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are the not sort of games we NEED to win, but they are the sort of games you expect to win. I'm sure no-one said we NEEDED to win against Utd, but you could say that as it turned out, we did.

That's the beauty of football, you get unexpected defeats, but also unexpected wins.

I think GP has built a good foundation, with a still fairly limited squad. He's starting to find out who is up to the task and who isn't, and the players will learn to play the system more intelligently. I'm still optimistic.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They are the not sort of games we NEED to win, but they are the sort of games you expect to win. I'm sure no-one said we NEEDED to win against Utd, but you could say that as it turned out, we did.

That's the beauty of football, you get unexpected defeats, but also unexpected wins.

I think GP has built a good foundation, with a still fairly limited squad. He's starting to find out who is up to the task and who isn't, and the players will learn to play the system more intelligently. I'm still optimistic.

I disagree. Those are exactly the games we needed to win, because when you're playing the teams who are expected to be in the lower half of the table, any points you DENY them are every bit as important as the points you gain. A win against Newcastle or Naarch would be more valuable to us than a win against Arsenal or Chelsea.

Given our dismal record against the teams down there around us last season, I'm still astonished we somehow managed to stay up. We won't be that lucky again.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

I disagree too.

You can't rely on the unexpected to stay up. The fact that three winnable games against beatable opposition passed us by increases the pressure on us having to get a result against the likes of Spurs on Saturday. I would've been much more relaxed about this weekend in the knowledge we had built up a decent points total with more teams below us.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Today and v Burnley the squad looks thin. The young lads have stepped up and Alzate based on what I’ve seen is good enough to start. But recruitment wise we have not given Potter enough tools to work with.
Personally I think he has been tasked to bring along the young players and move the expensive signings that have not worked out. He is doing a good job with what he has. I actually find myself agreeing with an [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] post on this in the regards he has been left short of quality especially the type of players he needs to play this way.

You, sir, are an excellent judge of character.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think Potter has been handed the same quality issues that Hughton had to live with the past two years.

Without doubt the quality issue is most certainly true. But I continue to question the wisdom of letting Hemed and Knocky go and the more baffling decision recently to bin off Andone (and to a far lesser degree Locadia who clearly was never good enough to play in the PL anyway) after the season was already underway.

I console myself that it is far more entertaining to watch us get nothing from games this season than to watch us get nothing from games last year.

In terms of goals / points Potter is no better than Hughton. But his style of play is far more enjoyable and entertaining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here