Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giving up my season ticket.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Been a real mixed bag for me, and I'm really on the fence. I'm a Season Ticket holder but for clarity I haven't been going to Ye Goldestone since 1783 like some on here.

Got my ST when we were in the Championship and absolutely loved going. It felt like real football (although watching the PL teams on MoTD after that highlighted the gulf in standards) and it was great to see us winning.

Then to the Premier League, struggling to stay up every season. It was a bit soul destroying, but I kept the faith. Love coming on here, love the inside track on everything, and love the general camaraderie and piss-taking. Really makes me feel 'part' of the Albion and enhances the whole feeling of being a fan.

Then COVID.

I truly missed going to games as I loved the whole match day experience. I barely watched any of the 'behind closed doors' games on TV. They felt soulless and empty and I lost my Albion Mojo quite a bit.

Then it was back again, and it really was great to be back. The checking of COVID passes and so on at the gate was dogshit in my experiences which worried me - but I stayed COVID free myself. I'm very sensible whilst not being paranoid.

To now... and my circumstances have changed again. I'm winding up my current business. 70% of my business was to Europe and thanks to Brexit, all the red tape, duties and taxes involved for the buyer - this 70% of my business is down 92%. They've just given up on the UK. It's now cheaper and much easier to just buy in their own country - so here I am. The UK market is tiny and I'm just offloading my residual stock at break-even or a loss. Once this is all gone it will actually be cheaper for me to be unemployed and not have a business. For a man who has been self-employed since 19 years old (I'm 51 now) it's a real blow.

Thankfully I've lived like a Hermit-Monk for the last 2 years and have retained a small amount of money in the bank, so I'm closely looking at a new avenue of business far away from what I do now. This will take all of my time, and as I can't really plan around kick-off times and days any more it'll make it nigh on impossible to get to games.

I've had to put my last 5 pairs of home-game tickets on the exchange, and only 2 of these have sold. That's quite a 'hit' - and I simply cannot afford it.

So.... with a heavy heart, I think this season will be my last as a STH. Personal circumstances, along with a bit of a loss of love for the game now we're in the cut-throat PL, mixed with regret as we are in the promised land and I should be grateful, mixed with the fact this is the best BHAFC team and manager possibly ever, mixed with I have to get on with my life and make a new business work so I can at least retire with more than a state pension.

I don't think I've ever written a longer post on here - but this is a decision I wrestle with every day lately.

A decent post, thanks for sharing. I hope things work out for the best for you. UTA.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No wonder some of you lot want to go back to non league football [emoji23] is that El-Abd at 1:30?

[tweet]1478353638472966146[/tweet]

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No wonder some of you lot want to go back to non league football [emoji23] is that El-Abd at 1:30?

I think Attila has made a similar point but given how Albion games often land TV wise, international breaks etc (and this isn't new - its been like this since the Championship) then its not either/or with following a non league club. Its quite easy to fit in support for Worthing or Lewes or Bognor pretty regularly with Albion home games. (although thats no good for those looking to save money/time i grant you)

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The club must be getting very nervous about the potential loss of season ticket holders.

The fact that our home game with Chelsea is on general sale and members can buy two extra tickets each, and Aston Villa is also on general sale with members able to buy 4 extra tickets each. Particularly with the Villa game being a 3pm Saturday kick off and not on TV.
Both fixtures are attractive and I think would previously sold out.

If it is as it appears and next season there are tickets available to members for most games, the potential for a high number of non-renewals must be huge.
I should think the club will be very keen to get as many people renewed as possible before the increased domestic energy bills start being delivered in April, and also the extra NI contributions.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The club must be getting very nervous about the potential loss of season ticket holders.

The fact that our home game with Chelsea is on general sale and members can buy two extra tickets each, and Aston Villa is also on general sale with members able to buy 4 extra tickets each. Particularly with the Villa game being a 3pm Saturday kick off and not on TV.
Both fixtures are attractive and I think would previously sold out.

If it is as it appears and next season there are tickets available to members for most games, the potential for a high number of non-renewals must be huge.
I should think the club will be very keen to get as many people renewed as possible before the increased domestic energy bills start being delivered in April, and also the extra NI contributions.

Very interested to see what Mr #AlwaysRight says at the upcoming fan’s forum…..

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I'm sure he'll have a lot to say. ! and i'm sure season ticket renewals and how to ensure they remain historically high is top of his todo list. - as with any club at the moment given economic issues/Covid etc - But not sure that Chelsea/Villa ticket sales tell us much. Villa is more than a month away. Chelsea is a hastily arranged midweek game which might still sell out. And anyway most games this season have sold out or nearly sold out. Even Brentford was close to a sell out.
Most games in 18/19 and 19/20 did sell out but normally very close to matchday so this isn't v.unusual and its hard to compare anyway given the increased capacity.

(Of course if there continues to be a lot of empty (season ticket) seats for these matches then that will be a concern. )

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm sure he'll have a lot to say. ! and i'm sure season ticket renewals and how to ensure they remain historically high is top of his todo list. - as with any club at the moment given economic issues/Covid etc - But not sure that Chelsea/Villa ticket sales tell us much. Villa is more than a month away. Chelsea is a hastily arranged midweek game which might still sell out. And anyway most games this season have sold out or nearly sold out. Even Brentford was close to a sell out.
Most games in 18/19 and 19/20 did sell out but normally very close to matchday so this isn't v.unusual and its hard to compare anyway given the increased capacity.

(Of course if there continues to be a lot of empty (season ticket) seats for these matches then that will be a concern. )

Very awkward at the moment……the Covid situation, allied to games being rearranged as a result means the club will be struggling to have much conclusive data on what might or might not happen, which makes any decision-making very difficult. The absolute swathes of empty seats at every game (despite them being ‘sold out’) has to be a huge concern both in terms of revenue and potential ST renewals as so many are simply not turning up (or sharing their tickets).

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I forgot to cancel my ST last year, although have now moved back to sussex. Through a mixture of wanting to spend more time with the kids, terrible KO times and general availability of PAYG tickets, I'm minded to cancel next season. I'd love to take my 5 YO daughter, who wants to go, but since we moved back in late august there has not been one suitable kick off time.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

I really dont think it matters what comes up at forum They will be informing what will be in place next season not asking for advice as to what should be. I am totally against sharing scheme for those that miss odd game but on the night as one of life's first class communicators PB will come over well. Lets face it he even convinced Bozza the present scheme is good.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Very awkward at the moment……the Covid situation, allied to games being rearranged as a result means the club will be struggling to have much conclusive data on what might or might not happen, which makes any decision-making very difficult. The absolute swathes of empty seats at every game (despite them being ‘sold out’) has to be a huge concern both in terms of revenue and potential ST renewals as so many are simply not turning up (or sharing their tickets).

A concern most certainly, but huge? I'm not so sure. As you say these are strange times and Covid has a massive influence on what is happening at the moment.

At the end of the day though we all know that it isn't us fans who provide the main source of revenue for the club, but the billions that they make from t.v. rights and other media outlets every year. There is no sign of that ever drying up!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I really dont think it matters what comes up at forum They will be informing what will be in place next season not asking for advice as to what should be. I am totally against sharing scheme for those that miss odd game but on the night as one of life's first class communicators PB will come over well. Lets face it he even convinced Bozza the present scheme is good.

Do you think then that this forum should have the power of decision making ? Isn’t that what club officials are paid to do ? I would be very uncomfortable with a bunch of activists at a forum speaking on my behalf and claiming my support for their views.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I fear there may be a price increase on the horizon, as there has been in many industries for goods and services.

Hoping the ticket sharing is relaxed somewhat, we'll see.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Do you think then that this forum should have the power of decision making ? Isn’t that what club officials are paid to do ? I would be very uncomfortable with a bunch of activists at a forum speaking on my behalf and claiming my support for their views.

Isn't he talking about the online Fans' Forum the club are doing later this month. No decisions will be made there. If you are in support of any schemes get yourself a ticket and ask to speak so the club are aware.

Last edited:

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
I fear there may be a price increase on the horizon, as there has been in many industries for goods and services.

Hoping the ticket sharing is relaxed somewhat, we'll see.
Price increase will see thousands give up their season ticket.(final straw for many)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Isn't he talking about the online Fans' Forum the club are doing later this month. No decisions will be there. If you are in support of any schemes get yourself a ticket and ask to speak so the club are aware.

I’m not sure what he is referring to, you are probably right. I don’t want to speak but am just making the point that club policy isn’t set by fans and if it were then there would have to be a better way of gaging opinion than listening to people speak at a fans forum.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seeing as the renewal process usually starts around the end of March it will be interesting to see the numbers. Reckon there will be usual high % of renewals but maybe not as high as previous years.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I’m not sure what he is referring to, you are probably right. I don’t want to speak but am just making the point that club policy isn’t set by fans and if it were then there would have to be a better way of gaging opinion than listening to people speak at a fans forum.

I VERY much doubt Barber would base any changes on what was said at the Fans Forum.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

No not at all. and apart from the PR can't really see point of forums. Club has loads of talented people with the experience to make decisions. I have no doubt the club will be aware of the negativity about the scheme and am sure in the interest of retaining ST holders it will be rectified. Lets see

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
PREMIER LEAGUE football is better on TV. Every other level 1000x better being in person at the ground. Very plastic and bland. Would still probably rather go than not since it’s our only option for our team right now plus looking like that won’t change any time soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here