[Football] Giving up my season ticket.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Gave mine up this year mainly to focus on family for next few years (2 kids under 4) but main factors were money (not value as its excellent), travel time, constant dicking about with fixtures and KO times.

It’s been a wrench of course it has but I’ve missed catching up/hanging out with my group more than the football so I’ll try to supplement it with a couple of away days a season before I come back in maybe 5/6 years.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Clearly post lockdown season , there’s been real problems with both atmosphere and filling seats , even if sold. Hard to tell if that’s a long term problem. My view is that it’s probably temporary but too early to say. If you stop going then the habit can go …

This is a genuine problem, I think. I've got a North Stand season ticket but have barely been in the last year. Even when I've got no plans sometimes I now feel like I can't be arsed to go. How the hell did that happen? I used to be bang up for Halifax away on a Tuesday night at the bottom of the league.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My mum finally gave up her season ticket this year, partly because of the fixture chaos and constant time changes which made getting there and back highly inconvenient, but mostly because she is 88 and her knees finally didn't like the stairs all the way to the West Stand Upper. All that money spent on comfy seats but NO lift.

@BarberOut

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My mum finally gave up her season ticket this year, partly because of the fixture chaos and constant time changes which made getting there and back highly inconvenient, but mostly because she is 88 and her knees finally didn't like the stairs all the way to the West Stand Upper. All that money spent on comfy seats but NO lift.

@BarberOut

Couldn’t she move to ESU where there is a lift?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

@BarberOut

I moved my Dad to the East Stand Upper from the WSU for same reason. He’s 84 and not that mobile . They do have a lift you can use over there. And club made it very easy, Although for various other health reasons he’s sadly hardly been this year.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
This is a genuine problem, I think. I've got a North Stand season ticket but have barely been in the last year. Even when I've got no plans sometimes I now feel like I can't be arsed to go. How the hell did that happen? I used to be bang up for Halifax away on a Tuesday night at the bottom of the league.

Post COVID Can't be Arsed Syndrome.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Personally think it’s time to ditch all the pre match nonsense now at the Amex fan zone especially, a recent game can’t remember which a natural atmosphere was building nicely pre kick off they then blasted loud music which completely killed it. When Brentford are on the box it’s cringy as f..k pre kick off we aren’t much better.

Why do the Brentford fans sing a Beatles song? Looks like a stadium full of bobble hat, replica shirt over jumper wearing happy clappers. :D

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why do the Brentford fans sing a Beatles song? Looks like a stadium full of bobble hat, replica shirt over jumper wearing happy clappers. :D
I have had a flat for years opposite their new stadium all the local yummy mummies and jumper round the shoulders dads are now suddenly mad Brentford fans :lolol:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
MIne's going at the end of the season.

Son not around any more to come with me and the fees around ticket transfers mean I'd be going on my own most of the time.

This, coupled with the constant chopping and changing of fixtures and the parking issues mean everything is just being made that bit more difficult on a number of levels.

3PM kick offs on a Saturday afternoon at the Nye Camp are a lot more attractive for me these days.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Can understand lots of deserters but you all really need to appreciate what you have. Being furniture in the Prem is a major privilege

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Could never give up on the Albion but hate what modern football has become. Irresistible force, immovable object. When Southwick FC finally collapsed after more than a decade of disgusting neglect and I was asked to help with a new club I realised I could have my cake and eat it with the Albion and AFC Southwick, and I can celebrate our beautiful football for the wonder it is while channeling my energies into doing something for my little local club. Frustration all gone, win-win. That's my recommendation. It's not an either-or.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Could never give up on the Albion but hate what modern football has become. Irresistible force, immovable object. When Southwick FC finally collapsed after more than a decade of disgusting neglect and I was asked to help with a new club I realised I could have my cake and eat it with the Albion and AFC Southwick, and I can celebrate our beautiful football for the wonder it is while channeling my energies into doing something for my little local club. Frustration all gone, win-win. That's my recommendation. It's not an either-or.

respect mate .....was pleased to see over 2000 punters at woodside road at the weekend......great scenes.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Fair enough if you can afford the money and time to do that.

Wasn't that the same when the Amex opened?

We can laugh at other clubs tho because we built a much bigger 30,000 seat glasshouse

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
respect mate .....was pleased to see over 2000 punters at woodside road at the weekend......great scenes.

I wanted to go to that but couldn’t make it…’gutted

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People give up their season tickets all the time. About a 1000 don’t renew every year. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. It’s not cheap and it’s a big time commitment for most - it will probably be a tough decision but based on multiple reasons . My Dad night have to give up his next season for example because he’s not very well and one of my sons is reconsidering because he no longer lives in Sussex. And then there will be those that have lost jobs, new kids or kids now at university, and done who have just fallen out of love with their PL, Albion and the whole bottle top, flaskless experience or perhaps it’s TV scheduling, petro dollar owners and the partnerships with gambling or even crypto they turn fans off.

But by far the biggest majority - it’s still 90% plus - do renew. And all of the 1901 have now renewed in full for 3 x 5 year terms. And Albion have a LOT of season ticket holders - more than the clubs around them.

And it’s that story I wish got heard more on NSC - most people do renew. And for lots of reasons - the club has thousands of new season ticket holders every year - who are often kids and still as much fans as much as Goldstone or Gillingham veterans.

Clearly post lockdown season , there’s been real problems with both atmosphere and filling seats , even if sold. Hard to tell if that’s a long term problem. My view is that it’s probably temporary but too early to say. If you stop going then the habit can go …

But let’s reflect more in threads like this that aside from the very valid worries and concerns (and obviously that’s going to attract most of the posts and argument on NSC) - that the vast majority of Albion fans renew season tickets, attend matches, are thinking of going to more games not less and very much intend to keep doing so.

Good post.

“ If you stop going then the habit can go” - Personally, I have found the opposite. I am gutted I can’t get to games at present and I’m itching to get back.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Can fully understand that . To take an interest in non league it does help if one has an affinity to club you watch. I used to watch Whitehawk several times a season but now I live in Hassocks do the same at Burgess Hill. Interesting on here to see so many saying what a great experience it is and better than going to Albion. Of course much cheaper and if you are local easier to get to. However taking the good and bad nothing like going to Albion in any division.
I have many good memories of playing against Southwick in County League and do hope they can get back home and up the leagues. Of course there are exceptions but what puts me off a lot with Sussex non league football is how there is very little loyalty and wholesale changes each season. I am also surprised for there ability what some players are paid. Players at end of season seem to leave on mass either chasing money or following a manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports