[Football] Giving up my season ticket.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Been a real mixed bag for me, and I'm really on the fence. I'm a Season Ticket holder but for clarity I haven't been going to Ye Goldestone since 1783 like some on here.

Got my ST when we were in the Championship and absolutely loved going. It felt like real football (although watching the PL teams on MoTD after that highlighted the gulf in standards) and it was great to see us winning.

Then to the Premier League, struggling to stay up every season. It was a bit soul destroying, but I kept the faith. Love coming on here, love the inside track on everything, and love the general camaraderie and piss-taking. Really makes me feel 'part' of the Albion and enhances the whole feeling of being a fan.

Then COVID.

I truly missed going to games as I loved the whole match day experience. I barely watched any of the 'behind closed doors' games on TV. They felt soulless and empty and I lost my Albion Mojo quite a bit.

Then it was back again, and it really was great to be back. The checking of COVID passes and so on at the gate was dogshit in my experiences which worried me - but I stayed COVID free myself. I'm very sensible whilst not being paranoid.

To now... and my circumstances have changed again. I'm winding up my current business. 70% of my business was to Europe and thanks to Brexit, all the red tape, duties and taxes involved for the buyer - this 70% of my business is down 92%. They've just given up on the UK. It's now cheaper and much easier to just buy in their own country - so here I am. The UK market is tiny and I'm just offloading my residual stock at break-even or a loss. Once this is all gone it will actually be cheaper for me to be unemployed and not have a business. For a man who has been self-employed since 19 years old (I'm 51 now) it's a real blow.

Thankfully I've lived like a Hermit-Monk for the last 2 years and have retained a small amount of money in the bank, so I'm closely looking at a new avenue of business far away from what I do now. This will take all of my time, and as I can't really plan around kick-off times and days any more it'll make it nigh on impossible to get to games.

I've had to put my last 5 pairs of home-game tickets on the exchange, and only 2 of these have sold. That's quite a 'hit' - and I simply cannot afford it.

So.... with a heavy heart, I think this season will be my last as a STH. Personal circumstances, along with a bit of a loss of love for the game now we're in the cut-throat PL, mixed with regret as we are in the promised land and I should be grateful, mixed with the fact this is the best BHAFC team and manager possibly ever, mixed with I have to get on with my life and make a new business work so I can at least retire with more than a state pension.

I don't think I've ever written a longer post on here - but this is a decision I wrestle with every day lately.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Been a real mixed bag for me, and I'm really on the fence. I'm a Season Ticket holder but for clarity I haven't been going to Ye Goldestone since 1783 like some on here.

Got my ST when we were in the Championship and absolutely loved going. It felt like real football (although watching the PL teams on MoTD after that highlighted the gulf in standards) and it was great to see us winning.

Then to the Premier League, struggling to stay up every season. It was a bit soul destroying, but I kept the faith. Love coming on here, love the inside track on everything, and love the general camaraderie and piss-taking. Really makes me feel 'part' of the Albion and enhances the whole feeling of being a fan.

Then COVID.

I truly missed going to games as I loved the whole match day experience. I barely watched any of the 'behind closed doors' games on TV. They felt soulless and empty and I lost my Albion Mojo quite a bit.

Then it was back again, and it really was great to be back. The checking of COVID passes and so on at the gate was dogshit in my experiences which worried me - but I stayed COVID free myself. I'm very sensible whilst not being paranoid.

To now... and my circumstances have changed again. I'm winding up my current business. 70% of my business was to Europe and thanks to Brexit, all the red tape, duties and taxes involved for the buyer - this 70% of my business is down 92%. They've just given up on the UK. It's now cheaper and much easier to just buy in their own country - so here I am. The UK market is tiny and I'm just offloading my residual stock at break-even or a loss. Once this is all gone it will actually be cheaper for me to be unemployed and not have a business. For a man who has been self-employed since 19 years old (I'm 51 now) it's a real blow.

Thankfully I've lived like a Hermit-Monk for the last 2 years and have retained a small amount of money in the bank, so I'm closely looking at a new avenue of business far away from what I do now. This will take all of my time, and as I can't really plan around kick-off times and days any more it'll make it nigh on impossible to get to games.

I've had to put my last 5 pairs of home-game tickets on the exchange, and only 2 of these have sold. That's quite a 'hit' - and I simply cannot afford it.

So.... with a heavy heart, I think this season will be my last as a STH. Personal circumstances, along with a bit of a loss of love for the game now we're in the cut-throat PL, mixed with regret as we are in the promised land and I should be grateful, mixed with the fact this is the best BHAFC team and manager possibly ever, mixed with I have to get on with my life and make a new business work so I can at least retire with more than a state pension.

I don't think I've ever written a longer post on here - but this is a decision I wrestle with every day lately.

Thanks for sharing. Hope things get better and your new business venture blossoms. It's been a horrendous couple of years, what with Covid and Brexit.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Can fully understand that . To take an interest in non league it does help if one has an affinity to club you watch. I used to watch Whitehawk several times a season but now I live in Hassocks do the same at Burgess Hill. Interesting on here to see so many saying what a great experience it is and better than going to Albion. Of course much cheaper and if you are local easier to get to. However taking the good and bad nothing like going to Albion in any division.
I have many good memories of playing against Southwick in County League and do hope they can get back home and up the leagues. Of course there are exceptions but what puts me off a lot with Sussex non league football is how there is very little loyalty and wholesale changes each season. I am also surprised for there ability what some players are paid. Players at end of season seem to leave on mass either chasing money or following a manager.

I often go to Whitehawk if Albion are away. Recall one season few years ago they had over 100 different players play for them through the season! Like you say there’s little loyalty (either way it must be said) and a lot are just nonleague journeymen.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is a genuine problem, I think. I've got a North Stand season ticket but have barely been in the last year. Even when I've got no plans sometimes I now feel like I can't be arsed to go. How the hell did that happen? I used to be bang up for Halifax away on a Tuesday night at the bottom of the league.

The same for me. The pandemic shutdown halted my enthusiasm for making the effort for a 4 hour trip out. Rarely winning at home exacerbated that feeling. I don’t think my match-day thoughts are unique, the atmosphere on packed park n rides after a loss/draw, are deadly quiet.

I got lazy. I loved wall to wall TV football during the BCD football period.

I’ve never gone for the booze, I prefer cozy pubs and restaurants, to standing in a breeze block concourse with a plastic beaker.

I don’t blame Potter at all, he has the makings of a fantastic coach and man-manager. It’s more an EPL thing.

I suspect that the pandemic has accelerated a very early changing of the guard. Folk who would’ve loyally ploughed on until their twilight years, now giving up ST’s in their 50’s and 60’s. Question, perhaps this happened at Arsenal circa 15 years ago when they upped ST prices and sanitised the football experience?

Seats to be taken up by 20 year olds going for the football, grub and pints.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Then COVID.

Poignant post. I hope everything works out for you business-wise, and whatever you decide to do re: going to games, you stick around on here.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Can fully understand that . To take an interest in non league it does help if one has an affinity to club you watch. I used to watch Whitehawk several times a season but now I live in Hassocks do the same at Burgess Hill. Interesting on here to see so many saying what a great experience it is and better than going to Albion. Of course much cheaper and if you are local easier to get to. However taking the good and bad nothing like going to Albion in any division.
I have many good memories of playing against Southwick in County League and do hope they can get back home and up the leagues. Of course there are exceptions but what puts me off a lot with Sussex non league football is how there is very little loyalty and wholesale changes each season. I am also surprised for there ability what some players are paid. Players at end of season seem to leave on mass either chasing money or following a manager.

I think the reason for this is that to be able to play at that standard of football you need to be committed enough to play every single weekend, and turn up to almost every training session, and play away games (even county league games can be two hours away) midweek. It’s really hard to do all that with a lot of fairly well paid jobs, as your employer tends to want a slice of your life for that, and leaving early a couple of times a week to go and play football often won’t be permitted.

I’ve never been good enough to pay at that level, but I work with someone who is (ex Brighton, played for Worthing / Lewes etc) and he’s ended up giving it up because it’s just too hard to make it work in the kind of job he does. Most of the players in the teams he played for were builders / scaffolders / labourers etc who could knock off at 4pm without a problem. As those guys don’t tend to earn as much money from their day jobs, the cash they get paid for playing football is really important to them, so they go where there money is. Which is completely understandable.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Won’t be giving up my ST…but at some stage over the next few years I will try and migrate to a cheaper part of the stadium …it’ll be a sad day as I’ve got to know some of the people around me and chatting to them and at ht to Simmo is a valuable part of my Albion experience…..but finances will have a major say

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
PM sent x

I’ve taken our usual table, see you at 8:30.

8ABA6822-1A65-49A8-BE3A-E33632DFDB0D.png

Please keep this off the Main Board, too many neanderthals.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The same for me. The pandemic shutdown halted my enthusiasm for making the effort for a 4 hour trip out. Rarely winning at home exacerbated that feeling. I don’t think my match-day thoughts are unique, the atmosphere on packed park n rides after a loss/draw, are deadly quiet.

I got lazy. I loved wall to wall TV football during the BCD football period.

I’ve never gone for the booze, I prefer cozy pubs and restaurants, to standing in a breeze block concourse with a plastic beaker.

I don’t blame Potter at all, he has the makings of a fantastic coach and man-manager. It’s more an EPL thing.

I suspect that the pandemic has accelerated a very early changing of the guard. Folk who would’ve loyally ploughed on until their twilight years, now giving up ST’s in their 50’s and 60’s. Question, perhaps this happened at Arsenal circa 15 years ago when they upped ST prices and sanitised the football experience?

Seats to be taken up by 20 year olds going for the football, grub and pints.

It’s interesting isn’t it….in over 50 years of going I’ve only ever drunk alcohol once ..Simmo led me astray :facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Won’t be giving up my ST…but at some stage over the next few years I will try and migrate to a cheaper part of the stadium …it’ll be a sad day as I’ve got to know some of the people around me and chatting to them and at ht to Simmo is a valuable part of my Albion experience…..but finances will have a major say

I assume you've already claimed your discount for that :wink:

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Could never give up on the Albion but hate what modern football has become. Irresistible force, immovable object. When Southwick FC finally collapsed after more than a decade of disgusting neglect and I was asked to help with a new club I realised I could have my cake and eat it with the Albion and AFC Southwick, and I can celebrate our beautiful football for the wonder it is while channeling my energies into doing something for my little local club. Frustration all gone, win-win. That's my recommendation. It's not an either-or.

Top it off, my 16 year old son just signed a loan deal with Southwick until the end of the season today. :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I will not be giving up ST but would have no interest in early rounds of European games

Find it hard to believe that anyone that has been with the club since the depths of 92nd place would not be interested in our first away trip in Europe, be it the Europa conference away in eastern Europe somewhere. It could be the one and only time we play a European club competition for the next 121 years.

Really ???

Why not ?

Spending what would be like a mini holiday with some of the people on here would be enough to put me off going. :moo: :D

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Gave up this season for a number of reasons. I first went in 1953 and had hoped to get to 70 years watching the team but reluctantly decided now was the right time to stop.

I had been in the 1901 club but just couldn't really commit to another 5 years being already heading towards 80. I had suggested to the club that it would have been good if they could have offered perhaps 1 or 2 years at a slightly higher price but they didn't think they wanted to do that so I called it a day.

Although I think Potter has assembled our best side ever it's just not enough now and like many I have just fallen out of love with the EPL. It's now just a closed shop at the top with little chance for the rest of the sides. Contrast that with the championship where at least every team had a chance of beating everybody else and is much more a genuine competition. I also resented being treated as a customer rather than a fan plus all the other niggles documented by others. Just doesn't seem right anymore.

I still watch the games on TV and may try for the odd ticket for cup games but these days I get more enjoyment watching my grandsons playing for their junior teams.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gave up this season for a number of reasons. I first went in 1953 and had hoped to get to 70 years watching the team but reluctantly decided now was the right time to stop.

I had been in the 1901 club but just couldn't really commit to another 5 years being already heading towards 80. I had suggested to the club that it would have been good if they could have offered perhaps 1 or 2 years at a slightly higher price but they didn't think they wanted to do that so I called it a day.

Although I think Potter has assembled our best side ever it's just not enough now and like many I have just fallen out of love with the EPL. It's now just a closed shop at the top with little chance for the rest of the sides. Contrast that with the championship where at least every team had a chance of beating everybody else and is much more a genuine competition. I also resented being treated as a customer rather than a fan plus all the other niggles documented by others. Just doesn't seem right anymore.

I still watch the games on TV and may try for the odd ticket for cup games but these days I get more enjoyment watching my grandsons playing for their junior teams.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

What a shame that your sensible idea was unacceptable, after almost a lifetime of support.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Then COVID.

All the best with your new venture mate , keep your chin up , i hope you can find a new niche that cant be ****ed up by bureaucracy .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports