Gay Marriage - The Vote

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The vote is for the creation of Gay Marriage...

• Total voters

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You get to be a princess for a day and have a big party with lots of presents.

This sort of backs up my opinion on the point of a non-religious marriage. Women want the dream wedding day, and men agree to it because they're getting nagged and/or have insecurities about their relationship. Anyone who thinks that marriage makes a relationship more secure than that of a co-habiting couple is sadly deluded.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In that case may I apologise for any doubt that was inferred in my original reply; and congratulate you on your intelligence and humanity. :thumbsup:

It's fine. It's not you were saying the opinion was invalid just because it was parroted from somewhere else, you were agreeing with it anyway.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have friends who smoke and drink alcohol. I don't agree with them doing it but we won't fall out over it. Its just something that sits uncomfortable with me.

Yes, but smoking and drinking can affect their health and yours. In what way does a gay coupel raising a child have a detrimental effect?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The problem is that "civil partnership" is not marriage, it is set aside as being something special for gay people because they can't have marriage. It creates, for lack of a better term, a class system. Gay couples aren't married like straight people, just "civil partners". Allowing prejudices to persist because "their union isn't like a proper marriage".

So legally there is no difference between being married and civil partners? They literally just want the right to say they are married?

Out of interest do people who have civil partnerships refer to one another as husband/wife or just partner?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Then you would class me as homophobic as well, I understand that gays are born that way , most of them are happy to be that way and good luck to them, I feel that civil partnerships are a good thing , I dont think they should be discriminated against job wise.
If either of my sons turned out to be gay , then no way on earth would i turn my back on them ( no pun intended :lolol:) , I would be gutted , but I love them unconditionally, and its my job as a parent to support them through life, come what may, but no way on earth would I be comfortable watching physical displays of affection between my sons and another man, the same goes for men who are nothing to do with me, i've seen men holding hands , kissing etc and to be frank, it turns my stomach, as I suspect it does a lot of blokes on here, they're just too scared of the homophobic name calling to admit it.

By definition, yes, it is homophobic. It is irrational disgust/fear of homosexuality.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm married, and I'm not religious... and neither was the civil wedding ceremony my wife and I had.

So what I am basically saying is, marriage is not the sole preserve of religious bodies.

As for gay marriage... I don't care enough to form an opinion, gay couples who are in a civil partnership have the same rights as married couples, so the only argument is about the language used.

I think the point is that Christian, God believing gay couples are not allowed to get married in their church they probably attend every week, sometimes preached to by gay clergy. There is a fundamental hypocrisy in not letting people enter into a union of marriage in a place of their choice like other couples are allowed to.

I was married in a civil ceremony, but I did of course have a choice. It's about a lot more than language, this is about belief and equality.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I abstained purely on the fact that I don't really care - on one hand I don't really put much faith in marriage as an institution (yes I am married) and on the other they should suffer like the rest of us married men :)

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Plenty of same-sex marriages out there which are 'not right.'

Anyway, aside from the morals of this issue it is the usual issues starting to eat at the Tory party. Europe a few weeks ago and now gay marriage, when will they ever learn, when will they ever modernise?

Maybe because we don't want them to become like the Greens you voted for down there? Hopefully, this will be the end of "Call me Dave" and we will get a real conservative leader instead of some bleeding heart pinko.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
but no way on earth would I be comfortable watching physical displays of affection between my sons and another man, the same goes for men who are nothing to do with me, i've seen men holding hands , kissing etc and to be frank, it turns my stomach, as I suspect it does a lot of blokes on here, they're just too scared of the homophobic name calling to admit it.

You're protesting a bit too much here; too many specifics. Is there something you want to tell us...ducky? :lol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Then you would class me as homophobic as well, I understand that gays are born that way , most of them are happy to be that way and good luck to them, I feel that civil partnerships are a good thing , I dont think they should be discriminated against job wise.
If either of my sons turned out to be gay , then no way on earth would i turn my back on them ( no pun intended :lolol:) , I would be gutted , but I love them unconditionally, and its my job as a parent to support them through life, come what may, but no way on earth would I be comfortable watching physical displays of affection between my sons and another man, the same goes for men who are nothing to do with me, i've seen men holding hands , kissing etc and to be frank, it turns my stomach, as I suspect it does a lot of blokes on here, they're just too scared of the homophobic name calling to admit it.

Can I ask why you don't agree with gays raising children?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Sorry, to clarify your point, do you mean any parenting through surrogacy or just gay parenting?

It shouldn't be allowed on what basis?
just gay parenting through surrogacy.

It shouldnt be allowed because i feel that children learn behaviour and life skills through both mother and father, we are playing with fire , going against nature to be perfectly honest.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Btw, it's enlightening to see who is for & against the vote on here.

Not. :lolol:

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. Anyone who thinks that marriage makes a relationship more secure than that of a co-habiting couple is sadly deluded.

Put me in the deluded camp then. If couples choose not to marry, that's fine. Whatever suits the individuals.

For me personally, and even more so for my wife, marriage = a pledge of full commitment. That's not to say we were not committed to each other in the 6 years we were together before we wed, but it is different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports