Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Marriage - The Vote

The vote is for the creation of Gay Marriage...

• Total voters

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I can never see the point of marriage anyway unless it's for your religious beliefs. Anyone give me a reason?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Try this one.

If you believe in God, you will believe that he made man and woman. You will further believe that the reason for marriage is to create a holy union to be blessed with children.

Whilst I can understand the need for some pairs of blokes or women to show their devotion for one another in a civil
partnership, surely what they do has nothing to do with the intentions of a Christian marriage?

Im with this guy

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Try this one.

If you believe in God, you will believe that he made man and woman. You will further believe that the reason for marriage is to create a holy union to be blessed with children.

Whilst I can understand the need for some pairs of blokes or women to show their devotion for one another in a civil partnership, surely what they do has nothing to do with the intentions of a Christian marriage?

Marriage isn't a religious thing though.

A heterosexual couple can have a registry office wedding, by that name, free of any religious context whatsoever, and enjoy the legal benefits and standing of marriage, yet a homosexual couple cannot. That is wrong.

I totally agree with the right of religious groups not to conduct gay marriages on their premises if it goes against their belief systems, however it is not their right or business to interfere with or influence anything which goes on beyond the aforesaid premises.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The problem is that "civil partnership" is not marriage, it is set aside as being something special for gay people because they can't have marriage. It creates, for lack of a better term, a class system. Gay couples aren't married like straight people, just "civil partners". Allowing prejudices to persist because "their union isn't like a proper marriage".

Marriage is older than record. It isn't intrinsically linked to any religion, and each religion has their own rules and rituals. Legalising gay marriage is not interfering with religion, refusing to legalise it on religious grounds is religion interfering with law.

What the f*** are you banging on about. It is about the state (law) trying to impose something on the Church. If the state wish to let gays get married, then they should only be able to allow a civil wedding to be legislated for.

Call me Dave has no mandate to push this through, and he is out of order trying.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Try this one.

Whilst I can understand the need for some pairs of blokes or women to show their devotion for one another in a civil partnership, surely what they do has nothing to do with the intentions of a Christian marriage?

Are all marriages (in this country - and I use that for the purposes of this argument) Christian? No.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Marriage isn't a religious thing though.

A heterosexual couple can have a registry office wedding, by that name, free of any religious context whatsoever, and enjoy the legal benefits and standing thereof, yet a homosexual couple cannot. That is wrong.

I totally agree with the right of religious groups not to conduct gay marriages on their premises if it goes against their belief systems, however it is not their right or business to interfere with or influence anything which goes on beyond the aforesaid premises.

I agree, my comments are only intended to be about church weddings.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
The gift of marriage brings husband and wife together
in the delight and tenderness of sexual union
and joyful commitment to the end of their lives.

It is given as the foundation of family life
in which children are [born and] nurtured
and in which each member of the family,in good times and in bad,
may find strength, companionship and comfort,
and grow to maturity in love.

So I guess this would have to be rewritten. Somebody will be busy.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Very clearly more about you if you vote no. Gay people wanting to get married is not detrimental in any way to anyone else. You would have to be an arse hole of grand proportions to vote no, or a homophobe.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What the f*** are you banging on about. It is about the state (law) trying to impose something on the Church. If the state wish to let gays get married, then they should only be able to allow a civil wedding to be legislated for.

Call me Dave has no mandate to push this through, and he is out of order trying.

No. It is about the state legalising gay marriage, not forcing churches to conduct them.

What assurances have been provided for religious organisations?

Mrs Miller has promised a "quadruple lock" for religious groups who oppose gay marriage, involving:

• No religious organisation or individual minister being compelled to marry same-sex couples or to permit this to happen on their premises
  • Making it unlawful for religious organisations or their ministers to marry same-sex couples unless their organisation's governing body has expressly opted in to provisions for doing so
  • Amending the 2010 Equality Act to ensure no discrimination claim can be brought against religious organisations or individual ministers for refusing to marry a same-sex couple
  • The legislation explicitly stating that it will be illegal for the Church of England and the Church in Wales to marry same-sex couples
BBC News - QA: Gay marriage

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I've not followed it that closely - I've generally been too busy laughing at the 'no' bigots trying to justify their position.

However, my limited understanding, is that no church will be forced to host same-sex marriages if they want to, so this has absolutely nothing to do with making impositions upon the church as every church in the land could say 'no thanks'. However, the change in law would allow same-sex couples to get married at any of the thousands of other places that can are permitted to host weddings nowadays. Like the Amex, for example.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here