Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Marriage - The Vote

The vote is for the creation of Gay Marriage...

• Total voters

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The problem is that "civil partnership" is not marriage, it is set aside as being something special for gay people because they can't have marriage. It creates, for lack of a better term, a class system. Gay couples aren't married like straight people, just "civil partners". Allowing prejudices to persist because "their union isn't like a proper marriage".

Marriage is older than record. It isn't intrinsically linked to any religion, and each religion has their own rules and rituals. Legalising gay marriage is not interfering with religion, refusing to legalise it on religious grounds is religion interfering with law.

I'm not sure if that's your own considered opinion or you've copied it from elsewhere, but I think it's an excellent & succinct appraisal of why the current situation should be ammended.

I'd like to add that all couples should be able to have a Civil Partnership if they so wish. Equality means just that, regardless of the practical or personal problems that inevitably come about in its persuit. It's gonna be a long old process, mind...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If they wish to change the name from Civil Partnership, then fine. But it must not have anything to do with the Church.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a cornerstone of this legislation is that no-one will be FORCED to perform these ceremonies, they will simply come into existence for those individuals or groups who wish to have/perform them.

If a Christian sect choose not to, then no problem.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Very clearly more about you if you vote no. Gay people wanting to get married is not detrimental in any way to anyone else. You would have to be an arse hole of grand proportions to vote no, or a homophobe.

This. I've seen plenty of this tagline, and I think it hits the nail on the head - 'If you don't like gay marriage, don't marry a member of your own sex'. The religious arguments are all complete bunkum IMHO - there's shed loads of stuff in most religious texts which we now think of as completely antiquated viewpoints that we no longer subscribe to, so to make an argument that 'my book says no' is very narrow-minded.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I dont particularly agree with gay marriage , but what I am firmly against is gay adoption,or parenting through surrogacy, i dont think it should be allowed at all.

D

Deleted member 22389

Would a vote against make you homophobic?

Definitely not. I class somebody as homophobic if they go around bashing people up because of their sexuality. I don't class somebody as homophobic if they don't agree with Gay Marriage. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just hope we don't go down this stupid name calling route. For example being called a racist, bigot and xenophobic because you don't agree with immigration.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I personally think its wrong for 2 members of the same sex to marry. I also think it is wrong for gay couples to adopt. I am not homophobic and have many gay friends and even family members who know my views. I am not religous, this is just a personal opinion.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure if that's your own considered opinion or you've copied it from elsewhere, but I think it's an excellent & succinct appraisal of why the current situation should be ammended.

I'd like to add that all couples should be able to have a Civil Partnership if they so wish. Equality means just that, regardless of the practical or personal problems that inevitably come about in its persuit. It's gonna be a long old process, mind...

My own considered opinion, based on comments from people when 'civil partnerships' were legalised and my own belief in equality.

I'm all for civil partnerships too. I gather some people view marriage as an outdated idea of ownership, that whole love honour and obey thing, asking father's permission before proposals and so on, and that they may feel more comfortable with a civil union and so agree they should be available for anyone who wants them.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Try this one.

If you believe in God, you will believe that he made man and woman. You will further believe that the reason for marriage is to create a holy union to be blessed with children.

Whilst I can understand the need for some pairs of blokes or women to show their devotion for one another in a civil partnership, surely what they do has nothing to do with the intentions of a Christian marriage?

Try this one.

The bible also says you shouldn't covert they neighbours wife, and the union of marriage should NEVER be broken, and yet the church has over many years managed to reconcile divorce, adultery, sex before marriage etc. etc. etc. You're quote regarding a holy union is basically broken by pretty much everyone who does not go to the alter a virgin!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I dont particularly agree with gay marriage , but what I am firmly against is gay adoption,or parenting through surrogacy, i dont think it should be allowed at all.

why? Two of my best friends, married Lesbians have a surrogate child and they are fantastic parents. I doubt you would know though as you write swathes of things off without any life experience.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Sorry, to clarify your point, do you mean any parenting through surrogacy or just gay parenting?

It shouldn't be allowed on what basis?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here