Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Marriage - The Vote

The vote is for the creation of Gay Marriage...

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Then you would class me as homophobic as well, I understand that gays are born that way , most of them are happy to be that way and good luck to them, I feel that civil partnerships are a good thing , I dont think they should be discriminated against job wise.
If either of my sons turned out to be gay , then no way on earth would i turn my back on them ( no pun intended :lolol:) , I would be gutted , but I love them unconditionally, and its my job as a parent to support them through life, come what may, but no way on earth would I be comfortable watching physical displays of affection between my sons and another man, the same goes for men who are nothing to do with me, i've seen men holding hands , kissing etc and to be frank, it turns my stomach, as I suspect it does a lot of blokes on here, they're just too scared of the homophobic name calling to admit it.

I think I've seen you on telly!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So legally there is no difference between being married and civil partners? They literally just want the right to say they are married?

Out of interest do people who have civil partnerships refer to one another as husband/wife or just partner?

It looks like it's more about mopping up the last of the legal discrepancies...

Is there a legal difference between the two?

The Civil Partnership Act 2004 gave same-sex couples the rights and responsibilities similar to those in a civil marriage. Civil partners are entitled to the same property rights, the same exemptions on inheritance tax, social security and pension benefits as married couples. They also have the same ability to get parental responsibility for a partner's children as well as reasonable maintenance, tenancy rights, insurance and next-of-kin rights in hospital and with doctors. There is a process similar to divorce for dissolving a civil partnership.

So why don't they have the same status under English law?

In 2006, Sir Mark Potter, president of the high court family division, told an academic lesbian couple that they faced an "insurmountable hurdle" in trying to have a same-sex marriage recognised in English law. He said marriage was regarded as an "age-old institution" that was "by longstanding definition and acceptance" a formal relationship between a man and a woman primarily designed for producing and rearing children. The couple, Celia Kitzinger and Sue Wilkinson, who were married in Canada and spent their life savings on the court battle, said they were deeply disappointed saying they had been "stripped" of their marriage.

Any practical differences in the ceremonies?

Until now it has been banned for civil partnership ceremonies to include religious readings, music or symbols and forbidden for them to take place in religious venues, regardless of the views of the building's owners. In Scotland, which has its own legislation, some church parishes offer blessing ceremonies for same-sex couples.

Any other practical differences?

Civil partners of male peers or knights do not receive a courtesy title to which the spouse of a peer or knight would be entitled.

How many civil partnerships are there?

More than 18,000 civil partnerships were formed in 2006, the first year they were legal in Britain. Since then 6,000 to 8,000 a year have been performed.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Yes, but smoking and drinking can affect their health and yours. In what way does a gay coupel raising a child have a detrimental effect?

I just believe that a child would have a better upbringing under the guidence of a man and woman. I know to some this will seem ignorant but is just an opinion. Not trying to offend anyone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
love it, I can also tell the future, because I have a feeling i'll be labelled a hypocrite.

and a stereotype.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Marriage should be a religious ceremony only, and religion should have no place in politics & law.

It should be down to the church whether they accept homosexual marriages, but the law should obviously continue civil partnerships.

You are aware of civil i.e. Registry Office marriages I take it? Been around for quite a while..

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Thanks for that and now read the rest of Romans and come back to me later.

No thanks. More disgraceful quotes from liviticus.

"If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So legally there is no difference between being married and civil partners? They literally just want the right to say they are married?

Out of interest do people who have civil partnerships refer to one another as husband/wife or just partner?

Apparently, religious readings are forbidden in civil partnership civil ceremonies. Gay marriage v civil partnership: what's the difference? | World news | The Guardian (EDIT: TLO just posted that Q&A above)

I think it's a personal preference whether they say 'husband/wife' or 'partner', much like with straight marriages.

But I don't think you can so easily dismiss the importance of being able to put your relationship on the same level as everyone else's, it can be hard for people who aren't in that position to understand how much it affects you to be told you're not allowed the same as others, to be told you're different and have to sit at that other (metaphorical) table. It is more than just a name.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
love it, I can also tell the future, because I have a feeling i'll be labelled a hypocrite.

So essentially, your objection to male homosexuality is that it doesn't turn you on?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Maybe because we don't want them to become like the Greens you voted for down there? Hopefully, this will be the end of "Call me Dave" and we will get a real conservative leader instead of some bleeding heart pinko.

What has voting Greens in got to do with Gay issues?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Put me in the deluded camp then. If couples choose not to marry, that's fine. Whatever suits the individuals.

For me personally, and even more so for my wife, marriage = a pledge of full commitment. That's not to say we were not committed to each other in the 6 years we were together before we wed, but it is different.

I too am sadly deluded, much like you hans

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Marriage should be a religious ceremony only, and religion should have no place in politics & law.

It should be down to the church whether they accept homosexual marriages, but the law should obviously continue civil partnerships.

does this get an award for the most contradictions in only two sentances? on the second point, we have a situation where a church cannot currently accept a homosexual marriage even if they wanted to (and some do).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I just believe that a child would have a better upbringing under the guidence of a man and woman. I know to some this will seem ignorant but is just an opinion. Not trying to offend anyone.

No problem at all having that opinion. As long as yo urealise it's incorrect.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
You can't say that you aren't homophobic and then say that.

How the f*** does saying that i am uncomfortable with it make me homophobic? Im uncomfortable with the rate of immigration in this country. I suppose that makes me a racist. Clueless

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here