Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fraternising with the white working class

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
the amex provides me with my only opportunity to engage with the working class, and it never fails to amaze me how uncomfortable i am in their presence. it is tragic that marx was right, and that you identify with class more than you do race, religion or nationality.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
the amex provides me with my only opportunity to engage with the working class, and it never fails to amaze me how uncomfortable i am in their presence. it is tragic that marx was right, and that you identify with class more than you do race, religion or nationality.

Your going to the working mans game. what did you expect?

You must be on a wind up.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Your going to the working mans game. what did you expect?

i know, i know. but football has a far broader support now. it's just when i'm confronted with shaven-headed, two earing-wearing types, who laugh like hyenas after stomping on balloons, i don't know where to look.

simon101

and smith MUST score
Aug 4, 2009
lewes
come and join us in the 1901 club ...................... you will find a much better, quieter kind of chap there

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

You are in the wrong stand. Should be in the East?

Don't let class confuse you. There are plenty of "upper class twats" to prove that wrong. It is culture. They go to rugger.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
i know, i know. but football has a far broader support now. it's just when i'm confronted with shaven-headed, two earing-wearing types, who laugh like hyenas after stomping on balloons, i don't know where to look.

IMO its the middle class who have identity issues.

they've jumped ship on the classless sociey lie (there's actually more division between the classes or rather rich and poor than ever).
We knew where we were with the upper class. Our society was reliant on upper class finance and discipline, but also working class cooperation through labour. We had common bonds, one of which was the island mentality, our heritage and common culture, symbolised by patriotism.
After the working class migrated to the towns we gradually improved our conditions, education (I think we have regressed 100 years educationally in the last 20 years) and our standing etc etc and for twenty years immediately after WWII we actually usurped the upper class, working class culture was the dominant culture in Britain
The fuckers who are destroying our country are white and middle class, they are people who didn't have an established identity other than Artisans, following the war and the explosion in their numbers, they have had to establish an identity of their own, but it isn't based on our pre-existing culture because that is what they are trying to topple, as a result they actually identify more with their peers on the Continent than they do the other classes in the UK
Was reading something the other month about alternative comedy, that Arthur Smith, he described the takeover of the comedy clubs (and the vilification of working class comedians) in the 80s as a civil war, which I found very interesting to be honest. You ever noticed how they've moved up a social scale now, instead of 'Sun Reader' it's now 'Daily Mail Reader' who they mock?

Don't go then ya big tart, and there is me thinking softy Walter was a character in the beano.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk, whilst taking a dump.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
i agree with some of this.

yeah, i'm not having a go at anyone, it just amazes me when i go to games and meet people i have nothing in common with (except the albion, of course). i agree that this is borne out of the increasing disparity between the rich and poor, and i lament it. i don't want to feel like there are parts of society from which i am isolated because that presumably means they feel the same way.

i don't like the idea of class identity though, and don't blame the white middle class for 'destroying our country'. i'm not a big fan of nationalism, but if it usurps class identity, then i'll take it. i'd rather feel british, and share that culture with the people around me at the football, than have to recede to the comfort of the independent and fresh basil for warmth.

do you have a link for the arthur smith article?

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Don't go then ya big tart, and there is me thinking softy Walter was a character in the beano.

this is what i mean. someone who thinks a roadsign with 'twat' in it is funny, and makes a point of referencing posting whilst on the toilet. i just don't get it.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Blimey. Southern Sid in intelligent post shocker. I wonder where he copied and pasted it from. :thumbsup:

Apart from highlighting the need for an app that capitalises a lone i or i',this post indicates to me that your everyday life is somewhat closeted. Do you not chat to working class folks in pubs, on the railways or to staff in shops? One of of the enlightening experiences of the culture shock of moving from Worthing to Mansfield in 1979 was the ease with which I was assimilated into the pub culture. Nearly all my drinking buddies were either mineworkers or other manual trades and I discovered a comradery that was lacking down South. I find that I am comfortable in either class, but however much you may disagree, it is true that our club needs both classes. We'd have no new stadium without middle class involvement in the tortuous process of securing it, and be unable to fill it without the working classes who also provide most of the atmosphere in addition to a substantial proportion of the revenue.

Aug 23, 2011
Generally the only people who care what "class" they are in are the middle classes. I was amused on the radio the other day when they were talking about this subject and they were asking people what class they thought they belonged to and one girl they asked (who was on income support) said she was middle class. They asked why she thought that and she replied "well i've never worked in my life so i can't be working class"

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Generally the only people who care what "class" they are in are the middle classes.

I can't agree with this. The only people I hear blathering on about class are those who say that they are working class. As far as I'm concerned people are just people. Although if I really had to say what class defines the person in the next row to me, the person who bellows Ref you're an f'ing C in the ears of children sitting in front of him, then it is probably working class. That's what he'd say anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here