Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fraternising with the white working class

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
Generally the only people who care what "class" they are in are the middle classes.

I can't agree with this. The only people I hear blathering on about class are those who say that they are working class. As far as I'm concerned people are just people. Although if I really had to say what class defines the person in the next row to me, the person who bellows Ref you're an f'ing C in the ears of children sitting in front of him, then it is probably working class. That's what he'd say anyway.

Some of the working class do have a massive issue with the middle class. Spot on.

The C and F word was not aloud with my ma in ear shot, massive disrespect in my dads eyes.

Still try not to, but its hard when the F word is used quite alot by me.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Apart from highlighting the need for an app that capitalises a lone i or i',this post indicates to me that your everyday life is somewhat closeted. Do you not chat to working class folks in pubs, on the railways or to staff in shops? One of of the enlightening experiences of the culture shock of moving from Worthing to Mansfield in 1979 was the ease with which I was assimilated into the pub culture. Nearly all my drinking buddies were either mineworkers or other manual trades and I discovered a comradery that was lacking down South. I find that I am comfortable in either class, but however much you may disagree, it is true that our club needs both classes. We'd have no new stadium without middle class involvement in the tortuous process of securing it, and be unable to fill it without the working classes who also provide most of the atmosphere in addition to a substantial proportion of the revenue.

I hate this crap !!
Implying that all pubs in the south are full of upper/ middle class is bollocks.
What pubs were using in WORTHING of all places ?

All the pubs I drink In in Brighton are full of working class people in manual jobs & comradery does not lack down south at all unless it was wine bars you'd been drinking in while down here.
I tell ya what. Next time you're visiting the Amex come for a drink in the hikers & see how many upper class people that lack comradery you find.... Better still tell them about your experiences up north & how we're all office dwellers that lack comradery

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I tend to find if you stick to talking about football you will be OK!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
When I go to a football match I don't see working class,middle or upper class people, I just see football supporters going to watch a match with a common purpose, to support their team. What has class got to do with any of it? We're ALL different.

Sep 1, 2011
i know, i know. but football has a far broader support now. it's just when i'm confronted with shaven-headed, two earing-wearing types, who laugh like hyenas after stomping on balloons, i don't know where to look.

Is there a certain way to laugh then?

Go play polo Jeremy old chap

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I doubt a feeling of loneliness or discomfort in a large crowd is down to a determined sense of class solidarity. I know lots of lower middle class people, one of whom is probably I, but that doesn't mean i have anything in common with them or often much to say in their direction. Ok i am afraid of those with certain breeds of dog that could rip my neck to shreds, but one man's bulldog is another man's mastiff. And i think the socially repulsive and general vulgarians to be around are not always the "working class". Sometimes i must jog to work through the city and i both fear and am disgusted by those ill-mannered sorts most.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was amused on the radio the other day when they were talking about this subject and they were asking people what class they thought they belonged to and one girl they asked (who was on income support) said she was middle class. They asked why she thought that and she replied "well i've never worked in my life so i can't be working class"

That is both hilarious and tragic.

And I also agree with Southern Sid. Well, there has to be a first time for everything!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Paragon Test

Most footballers are artisans. Working class are roof tilers etc. The way out is to become an artisan property developer (like Matt Oakley apparently, allegedly from hearsay) a footballer or popular musician. The middle class dogsbody becomes a clerk or a bureaucrat. He might become the chief bureaucrat. Some people say that the world is made up out of guards, artisans, rationals and idealists. Which one are you?

Try the paragon test
take the PLSI

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There really are no classes any more. Only Old money and new money. Having lots of money does not give you class.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
f***ing weird - can't say I've ever been to a football match and worried about what class of life people come from

Very true, my only worries are things like, will it be cold, can I park my car somewhere safe or am I going to get to half-time and wish I was somewhere else. Years ago the concerns were more linked to personal safety, or in the case of a game at Anderlecht, whether I was going to get trampled to death.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
:sick:only way i can reply to this post is
if you dont like the ordinary fans at the amex f*** OFF to the Henley Regatta or to Winsor for the polo we wont miss u

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
:sick:only way i can reply to this post is
if you dont like the ordinary fans at the amex f*** OFF to the Henley Regatta or to Winsor for the polo we wont miss u

you've missed my point. i'm not having a go at anyone, or saying that anyone is better than anyone else. i'm just saying i'm surprised how different people are from one another, and i think it's a shame.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Tim-Nice-But-Dim-2.jpg

Bloody nice chap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here