Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forfars Bakers In Financial Troubles

Did focus diy ever wage a campaign against the Goldstone or was it Archer & Stanley?

No-one seems to be taking this one. It seems a good question to me, so....??

Forfars is a Cuttress-owned concern - I don't see why, suddenly, they should be distanced from their own business concern just for this, no more than in BB's question.

The retail park that replaced the Goldstone didn't seem to have much problem getting passed :glare:

Last edited:

....and Truffles, incidentally, have EXCELLENT goods. Their Steyning staff have also proven to be friendly and helpful.
I hope they will spread and increase business, so maybe they can hire Forfars better staff once the latter downsize.

Bollocks to all the opponents to a stadium for BHA, and I would no more want to work for THESE opponents than I would try getting a job at The Swan.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
....and Truffles, incidentally, have EXCELLENT goods. Their Steyning staff have also proven to be friendly and helpful.

I agree.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
My girlfriend works in one of them and can't see what the fuss is all about...she did tell me that they're looking to shut the Western Road one, though. Apparently they're also struggling to bring their image into the 21st century.....hmm, sounds like FPC!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Charles Cutress (Tim Cutress's grandfather) bought Forfars bakery from the Forfar family in 1936.

The Cutress family have been millers and bakers in Sussex since the sixteenth century.

Tim's ancestors must be turning in their graves, watching him and THAT woman campaigning against us for all they are worth, while 5 centuries of their family's history goes down the pan.

I don't think I'm alone in wondering why all this 'sympathy for the devil' that's going on. Trying to grey the area between us and the opponents of Falmer Stadium doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I guess it's a bit of "time for conciliation ... magnanimous in victory ..." stuff.

If people are concerned about me turning soft, I apologise. I've mentioned before on NSC that I've known Tim Cutress for years. I used to perform with his band, as it happens. And we are still on speaking terms. But if people feel differently, I'm not going to complain.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I guess it's a bit of "time for conciliation ... magnanimous in victory ..." stuff.

If people are concerned about me turning soft, I apologise. I've mentioned before on NSC that I've known Tim Cutress for years. I used to perform with his band, as it happens. And we are still on speaking terms. But if people feel differently, I'm not going to complain.

So he's thrown in the towel then? Fair do's there's no harm in knowing when your beaten! I appologise for not being sympathetic LB but buisness is buisness and i'd rather invest my time and money in the Albion.

I hope they will spread and increase business, so maybe they can hire Forfars better staff once the latter downsize.

Bollocks to all the opponents to a stadium for BHA, and I would no more want to work for THESE opponents than I would try getting a job at The Swan.

Nice Truffles in Billingshurst too.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country

Perhaps its different if you know the bloke personally Lord B, but I just can't do this. However I will admit it is quite easy to boycott Forfars in Lancashire!

My entire political and retail decision making outlook has been based for the past 10 years on whether or not politicians or owners of companies shafted us at the Goldstone or oppose Falmer. I won't vote Lib Dem up here because of LDC even though I expect none of the Lib Dems up here have even heard of Falmer!. And if someone who is anti Falmer owns a company I WON'T willingly give them my money. I'm not sure I could even be civil to them. The thing is after we win (he says optimistically) I still intend to punish them; they deserve it because this has caused us all so much grief .

Is it going to make any difference? No. Does it make me feel better? Too effing right!

Incidentally is the fact that La Cuttress is now a member of LDC going to mean she is in as influential a position as Neighbour and Pepper were? In wich case they may be pursuing this blindly for a while yet (earlier optimism in this post dissipating as he types).

Col P

Feb 13, 2006
Been thinking about this we could end up with a 22,000 seater stadium with 7,000loyal fans inside and the rest of Sussex left outside not wanting to invest for fear of recrimination should they voice any not shared by the majority of fans on here we are well on course to getting our stadium and in the not to distant future we will need the money of local business men and women to build our club we will need the support of local politicians for future planning issues and we will need the support of the good folk of Sussex to come and pay to watch our club I feel we need to be a bit magnamonious in victory, we may well have won the war and is it not time to start thinking about winning the peace
I do not know this family but a season holder is a season holder he payee's his money to watch lets hope he continues to do so into the future :albion2:

Been thinking about this we could end up with a 22,000 seater stadium with 7,000loyal fans inside and the rest of Sussex left outside not wanting to invest for fear of recrimination should they voice any not shared by the majority of fans on here we are well on course to getting our stadium and in the not to distant future we will need the money of local business men and women to build our club we will need the support of local politicians for future planning issues and we will need the support of the good folk of Sussex to come and pay to watch our club I feel we need to be a bit magnamonious in victory, we may well have won the war and is it not time to start thinking about winning the peace
I do not know this family but a season holder is a season holder he payee's his money to watch lets hope he continues to do so into the future :albion2:

you could be right and maybe there will be people outside the place not sure that theyll be fans that wont go in out of some objection though this place will bring so much to the city it can't be sniffed at the local business people will benefit as will the town with the added facilities for the university right there and more revenue as well both for the club and for the local merchants who will lose anyway you have to wonder how can it be in any way negative for anyone all the political implications are really on the side of building it the rest of the country and really the world have facilities that are a plus for the towns that have them it helps put them on the map as well what if we were to host a tournament in this country where the new brighton stadium could be used to hold some of the functions theres also music events and corporate meetings if they make a decent venue with a class restaurant in it and a meeting hall the interest could even make other places in brighton get chosen for their proximity to the falmer stadium facility that would be a positive thing too and i can't visualize anything that could not be a plus all round. :falmer:

:jester:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I too have known the Cuttress Family (Matthew and Tim) for years. I still talk aboyt football with Tim, I just dont talk about the stadium. His wife has pinned her colours to the mast and he thinks she is right. I think they are both wrong and we have gone over this ground so many times that there is nothing new in it.

The blue and white gingerbread for the Bring Home the Albion campaign came as an idea by the campaign that Tim agreed to support. That support coupled with the support of Harveys was a key part in getting us home - without which any other debate, Falmer or otherwise would have been academic.

So whilst I disagree strongly with him and vehemently with his wife - the point is that he has my sympathy. After all, like us, he is now being screwed by a second Lib Dem politician.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Its time for me to come clean. I work for Forfars, At the main depot in Moulsecoomb. Ive been ther for 4 years. They have allways been a pro albion organisation apart from the falmer issue. I know the cutress family almost presonally, and alot of them are actually Pro-Falmer. Ive got to watch what I say coz I know that some of them read this board.

Tis "financial Trouble" is news to me. Who is the scorce? I'd be intersted to know.

*Phones in Sick*

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Just out of interest..................if the decision on the stadium is a "NO".........will Melanie Cutress be magnanimous in victory and set about finding us a new ground and want to build bridges with the Albion supporters...?
Or will she drink champagne, celebrate her success and go to bed at night thinking...." great, that,s got rid of the great unwashed".

Col P

Feb 13, 2006
Just out of interest..................if the decision on the stadium is a "NO".........will Melanie Cutress be magnanimous in victory ]

intresting but with all the omens in our favour I feel a mute point as we are going to get our stadium at falmer the point I was trying to make was simply build bridges

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I'm all for "shaking hands" at the end of a fair fight but Falmer PC have used the most outrageous arguements. I will never forget the venom in Mrs Cutress's voice when she read out the Falmer PC's legal advisor's statement on the last day of the last Inquiry.

The statement was along the line of Brighton fans should be prepared to "suffer" (yes that word was used) for the good of Falmer Village . The Albion was a third rate club and should have no ambition and be prepared to drop out of the football league. Now I cannot see if you are an Albion supporter how you can say that.

So, sorry but I won't be cosying up to Tim and Melanie .

That's it though. I do not wish any harm to the residents of Falmer and hope in the end they will accept that the Stadium is no more of a problem than 2 universities; a four lane highway; a major traffic interchange with it's present traffic jams; Stanmer park with it's pop concerts and a railway station.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'll be quite happy to build bridges, forgive and forget once the August deadline for appeals and objections is past.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'll be quite happy to build bridges, forgive and forget once the August deadline for appeals and objections is past.

Would you build those same bridges with Archer & Stanley when we move into Falmer Yorkie? Is it time to forgive and forget what they done to us?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Would you build those same bridges with Archer & Stanley when we move into Falmer Yorkie? Is it time to forgive and forget what they done to us?

No. They're not still season ticket holders and what they did is still having repercussions now.
It isn't the same scenario. I have forgiven (but not going into that) but cannot forget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here