Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Footage of calde's incident.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I seem to be completely alone, but I can't even understand why we are appealing.
The guy slides in, not two footed (in my opinion), knocks the ball away before Caldy absolutely hammers him full force on the shin.
It is very, very unfortunately, but Caldy has connected because the other player got there first.
It doesn't matter whether it is accidental or not.
Silly I know, but the rules of the game don't refer to whether you get the ball first or not. Not that I can tell from that footage who got the ball first, Calde could have hit it onto Anthony, and done the damage with the follow-through. But players should be going for that ball, and staying on their feet.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I seem to be completely alone, but I can't even understand why we are appealing.
The guy slides in, not two footed (in my opinion), knocks the ball away before Caldy absolutely hammers him full force on the shin.
It is very, very unfortunately, but Caldy has connected because the other player got there first.
It doesn't matter whether it is accidental or not.

I'll add that I wasn't there, and am simply going on the unclear clip in this thread.

No I completely agree, opposing player nips in with a well judged sliding tackle, Calde thinks he will get there well ahead and is aiming a clearance up the field, is probably completely surprised he hasn't got there. Bad misjudgement by Calde, complete accident, but a bad misjudgement all the same.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
How could Inigo get a red for that, he stays on his feet and goes for a 50/50 ball. It wasn't dangerous at all, the danger was caused by Anthony going to ground.

But it isn't even going for the ball is it? The ball is coming to him. As another poster has said, it is his to play. He stays on his feet and goes to play the ball. If the NC player is going to dive in to try and tackle or block the ball then it is his risk - and he's the one whose feet are off the ground, with limited control. It's never a red card for Calde and should definitely be appealed - the referee last night was a clear reflection of the standard he referees at - League One/Two.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
I actually can't believe so many people think its a tough one.

It's not a red, it's not even a foul by Calderon. The Newport player jumped in with 2 feet and cleared the ball. Got an unfortunate whack and has a horrific injury. There player jumped in with 2 feet before Calderon tried to kick the ball.

So he should of been sent off. If it isn't overturned then football has become shit.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But it isn't even going for the ball is it? The ball is coming to him. As another poster has said, it is his to play. He stays on his feet and goes to play the ball. If the NC player is going to dive in to try and tackle or block the ball then it is his risk - and he's the one whose feet are off the ground, with limited control. It's never a red card for Calde and should definitely be appealed - the referee last night was a clear reflection of the standard he referees at - League One/Two.

Anthony's won the ball in a perfectly reasonable way, okay a still image shows he is momentarily off the ground, but at the point of winning the ball, it is with one leg outstretched. Calderon is late having completely misjudged the fact he was going to be second to the ball.

Complete accident, no intent hence no one had a go at Calde, but for anyone to point the finger at Anthony is completely wrong in my opinion. Calderon got it wrong, whether it's a red is the ref's fault, but I cannot understand anyone saying it's Anthony's own fault, bloodyhell, we may as well ban sliding tackles.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The slow-motion and the stills prove conclusively that the Newport player was the more reckless of the two (off the ground when making the challenge). He gets nothing (well, apart from a broken leg, poor bloke), Calderon gets a red.

It should be overturned, but almost certainly won't be because the FA hate undermining referees.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I wasn't there so I'm going on the youtube clip.

The first one, Casper reacted the way that pretty much every goalkeeper would. The best ones maybe save it but etting it in doesn't make you shit. If it had been saved it would have been a good save.

The second one. What?! Thats in the far corner! Perhaps someone in the defence might have wanted to close down the lad on the ball?

The third one? He's caught out, like our centre half, by the poor pass leaving him stranded. Can't really comment any more on that one as he's not in the picture until he gets rounded by their striker.

As it happens, I'm not a big fan of Ankegren. I think he's a mediocre championship keeper at best. But nothing in that video shows him up as being shit.

I was there, I shudder when I see Casper's playing but you're right about last night

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Every sliding tackle ever made by someone from a running position to a sliding position will in a still image at some point be completely off the ground.

At the point of winning the ball Anthony does so with one leg outstretched in connection with the floor.

As far as I'm concerned, if Anthony was my player I'd be delighted he'd shown that much effort to win a ball. If we start saying that is a bad challenge we may as well ban sliding tackles.

I don't know what Calderon is doing to be honest. He can see the player coming, I have no idea why he doesn't slide himself and win the bloody thing like a defender should, instead he ends up taking a wild swing at the ball and missing. Might not have been a red, but it was poor defending whichever way you look at it at a ball which should have been easily his.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Justin Edinburgh said on Talksport this morning that it was a 50/50 and no malice was intended----just one of those unfortunate tackles.
Will he tell the FA that?

Jimmy Grimble

The reason Calderon takes suck a big swipe at the ball is because their player is going in two footed. It's an evasive action brought on by a terrible tackle which Calderon sees coming. Unfortunate for their player, but he shouldn't be diving into tackles like that (note: I'm NOT saying he deserved to have his leg broken).

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The footage just confirms what I thought at the time. No way was it a red card offence despite the serious injury. If anything their man should have been penalised.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
On an unrelated note, one of the comments on the video in question:

Surf Moor 56 minutes ago
"Great era for football in South Wales. Newport also KO the Brighton Bum Boys."

:ffsparr:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Surf Moor 56 minutes ago

Funnily enough, Ive just been told to f**k off by a Newport fan on Twitter when I mentioned about homophobic abuse which apparently happened last night - seems they are rather touchy when it comes to gays.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Surf Moor 56 minutes ago

Report it then.... its a matter of record,.....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Every sliding tackle ever made by someone from a running position to a sliding position will in a still image at some point be completely off the ground.

At the point of winning the ball Anthony does so with one leg outstretched in connection with the floor.

As far as I'm concerned, if Anthony was my player I'd be delighted he'd shown that much effort to win a ball. If we start saying that is a bad challenge we may as well ban sliding tackles.

I don't know what Calderon is doing to be honest. He can see the player coming, I have no idea why he doesn't slide himself and win the bloody thing like a defender should, instead he ends up taking a wild swing at the ball and missing. Might not have been a red, but it was poor defending whichever way you look at it at a ball which should have been easily his.
Yep,Calde could've stepped aside and not gone for the ball with the words..."Carry ol bean' I won't attempt to stop you with the ball.
It was a 50/50 ball...was'nt quite sure when it happened in front of me but seeing the videos... and the comments from radio on my way homewho said that they had seen the video in slo/mo and it showed Caldes foot down I'm convinced that the card....(which would'nt have been given had not JE blasted the 4th offical who in turn had a word with the ref) should be rescinded...but knowing the FA not wanting to say they have referees who are not top notch,,,little chance....anyway our manager is not Alex Ferguson.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are people on this thread who can't decide after watching the replay ten times - Notters and I, to name two. (I don't think it was a red card but I really can't be sure)

If we can't be 100% about it, why on earth would you expect the referee to state he made a mistake at the time?

Quite. I don't have any evidence to say it wasn't a red. So I will presume the ref got it right.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The slow-motion and the stills prove conclusively that the Newport player was the more reckless of the two (off the ground when making the challenge). He gets nothing (well, apart from a broken leg, poor bloke), Calderon gets a red.

It should be overturned, but almost certainly won't be because the FA hate undermining referees.

More reckless. Are you saying Caldo was reckless or not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here