Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Footage of calde's incident.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Calde stayed on his feet, studs were down and he went for the ball. How can that be a red card in any way, shape or form?
That's how I see it. If anything, their player slides in with studs showing which, these days, frequently means a red card.
I think that w@nker Edinburgh may have helped get Calde that card.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Agree but it will be pointless appealing :(
The fact it was clearly never a red card for Calde is exactly why the club should appeal. If it doesn't get overturned what the hell is the point in an appeal process? Referee cocks up, video evidence supports this, FA say the penalty stands plus an extra game for daring to appeal. Referee carries on as normal, player and club get screwed for 3 or 4 games. Sounds fair and reasonable.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well, that footage kinda confirms what I thought. Newport got a free kick because Calde kicked their player, though clearly from the footage it appears unintentional. The referee can only have given him a straight red card if he thought that that kick constituted serious foul play or violent conduct, or that excessive force was used... erm, right...

Makes you wonder why more players aren't sent off!

http://www.thefa.com -fouls and misconduct

Last edited:

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Can't see it being overturned. Looking at the Youtube clip Calde was late and the way his right leg swung at the ball (and missed) will be seen as reckless/serious foul play and he will be said to have used excessive force that endangered the safety of the player - and a broken leg is probably a good argument to prove the point!

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Slow motion

That should not be a red card. They both meet the ball at the same time and the only player to go in with a foot up was the Newport player.

That footage highlights something else as well, Calde has got some pace.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Never a red, the Newport player went in 2 footed but because Calde accidentally made contact, he was given the red. Had the Newport player not got injured, then I strongly suspect then he would have got the red.

The ref bottled it and didn't want to give a red card to an injured player, even though they committed serious foul play with intent. Of course the FA will uphold the ban though as they are clueless.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Third goal was shit goalkeeping from Ankergren. Granted his team-mates didn't exactly help him, but if you come off youre line as a keeper, you don't stop, and if you feel like you should, that's where you make your challenge, not just stand there like a really shit zookeeper watching a rhino bolt out his cage and run past him.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
calde was still on his feet, if anything the red should have gone the oher way!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Can't see it being overturned. Looking at the Youtube clip Calde was late and the way his right leg swung at the ball (and missed) will be seen as reckless/serious foul play and he will be said to have used excessive force that endangered the safety of the player - and a broken leg is probably a good argument to prove the point!

Dreadful post. He was only slightly late because the other guy jumped in with both feet illegally, but faster than he would making a normal tackle

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Do they only increase the ban if it is considered a 'frivolous' appeal...?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
That should not be a red card. They both meet the ball at the same time and the only player to go in with a foot up was the Newport player.

Another screen grab of this doesn't seen to show this being the case. Although the speed of the incident and even the slow mo version someone added shows just how close it was in real time (hoping the image has uploaded)

Attachments

• Calde 2.bmp
    365.5 KB · Views: 324

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I do wonder if the club will appeal this, in the cold light of day and having time to review it and reflect.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If it was a red card for Calde it should have been one for their player too.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
People need to learn how to go into a 50/50 challenge. If you poke the ball away early then you get kicked, it's as simple as that. The same thing happened in the Ryan Shawcross and Aaron Ramsey tackle, it's the combined force that does it.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Dreadful post. He was only slightly late because the other guy jumped in with both feet illegally, but faster than he would making a normal tackle

I think you missed my point - that is how I think the FA will interpret it. I don't think they will say he was slightly late so it doesn't matter, they will just interpret it as late and that the Newport player ended up with a broken leg so the red card will be upheld. I don't know if they have to come to a view on whether the Newport player was out of control and that in any way impacted on how Calderon went into the tackle but knowing the FA they will probably want to avoid making a decision on that aspect if they can avoid it.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

That slow mo is exceptionally conclusive. Calde aims for the ball, swings for the ball and stays on his feet for the challenge whilst their player dives in. Probably not a foul for either side but, even without blue tinted specs on, that is never, ever a red for Calde. I still expect the FA to bottle it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here