Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Footage of calde's incident.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
If Calderon jumps out of the tackle - the Newport player would wipe him out and its a red for Newport. Its an error by the ref although he was put under pressure by the leg break and the speed of the incident in real time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Haha no chance of that I'm never one to pull out. I meant if someone is sliding towards u try not to slide in too otherwise it can get v nasty and dangerous, so your guess is totally wrong. I didn't read all your posts on it but Calde didn't really do anything wrong he would've been looking mainly at the ball and was expecting them to both get there at same time. Their guy goes in more dangerously dangerouslythan calde, surely u can see that?

What Calderon did wrong was not defend well - which is what I've said all along, he lost the ball and had it stayed in, was out of position with a player outside him. You're jumping down people's throats, apparently not bothering to consider what they've said.

So if your argument is based on Calderon not sliding in because he sees the other player already doing that, why does he take such a big swing at the ball? That's what I can't work out, it is a really odd way to go in, normally you would be going into that with your leg already out to get to the ball first, you're not looking to hoof it clear, just win the ball. As Herr also said above, what is the huge swipe Calderon takes for? Its not evasive action, he's not favourite to get their first? It's a poor challenge that's what it is.

I've not once said I thought it was a red card. Can I be clear on that, I've only criticised it as not good defending....

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Have a bit of compassion, I suspect he's probably going to miss the next 40 games or so as it is...

This. It could unfortunately be much than the next 40 games. For what it's worth it doesn t look like a red card to me but its insignificant in light of the serious injury to Anthony. Calde will be back soon enough to play will Anthony?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What Calderon did wrong was not defend well - which is what I've said all along, he lost the ball and had it stayed in, was out of position with a player outside him. You're jumping down people's throats, apparently not bothering to consider what they've said.

So if your argument is based on Calderon not sliding in because he sees the other player already doing that, why does he take such a big swing at the ball? That's what I can't work out, it is a really odd way to go in, normally you would be going into that with your leg already out to get to the ball first, you're not looking to hoof it clear, just win the ball. As Herr also said above, what is the huge swipe Calderon takes for? Its not evasive action, he's not favourite to get their first? It's a poor challenge that's what it is.

I've not once said I thought it was a red card. Can I be clear on that, I've only criticised it as not good defending....

Ok fine but I read it as insinuating it was a red but certainly wasn't jumping down your throat ;)

Fact is, everyone can see it wasn't a red. Most think it wasn't a foul. Most think their guy was more dangerous than calde. Nothing more to discuss on it really...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ok fine but I read it as insinuating it was a red but certainly wasn't jumping down your throat ;)

Fact is, everyone can see it wasn't a red. Most think it wasn't a foul. Most think their guy was more dangerous than calde. Nothing more to discuss on it really...

Too true, it's not worth falling out over unlike say square crisps vs nik naks for example...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I have just watched the highlights on player and caught the frame as they contact Calde is totally upright and the other guy is nearly on the floor with his leg bent.
IMHO
not a red
not a foul by Calde
might be a foul by the other guy
the camera is some way away and the reaction of the Albion bench was total disbelief as is mine

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just seen it in better quality on Tele. Must say the Newport guy just goes in fully. Can't see how Calde has done anything wrong tho...

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
The problem is that Calde doesn't touch the ball. One way of describing the facts are that he has run in and kicked the bloke and broken his leg in two places.
I know there are a few extenuating circumstances, but the basic facts don't help his cause.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It wasn't a red live. It wasn't a red according to their manager. It wasn't a red according to our manager. It wasn't a red on that grainy image. It wasn't a red according to BBC Sussex. It wasn't a red according to BBC Wales. It wasn't a red judging by their players non-reactions (I was there. None of them appealed: they just looked concerned). It very clearly wasn't a red card.
I think that covers it.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
No chance it will get overturned, IMO. Too contentious to needlessly undermine the ref. I should say that I don't think it was a sending off either, but if the appeal process is there to overturn absolute howlers, then it won't be used here. There just isn't enough evidence to change the decision.

Bounce.....couldn't help myself.

Jimmy Grimble

I'm not entirely sure how you know all of this. I have watched the footage repeatedly and I cannot come to a definitive decision that Caldo was not using excessive force and/or was not being reckless. I therefore cannot criticise the ref as I just don't know. If you have figured out all of Calderon's intentions and actions from that crappy clip then you are a much better person than me. Personally, contesting the card will be futile and I prefer it if we just move on.

And going back to your original comment I still struggle to understand your belief that the huge "swipe" is evasive action.

I don't 'know' all of this, it's just how I interpreted it from seeing it live and on that clip. Seems like the FA interpreted it the same as well :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here