Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Footage of calde's incident.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Thanks for uploading. When I first saw it (from about 25 yards away in the West) my first though was that it was an unfortunate accident going for a 50/50 ball, my boy thought that the Newport player had gone in "studs up" and had committed a foul. We were both gobsmacked when the red got shown.
Having watched it several times, I still think it was a 50/50 ball and it looks like the Newport lad did have his studs showing. I remain convinced that it's not even a yellow.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's certainly clumsy by Calderon as he takes a massive swing at the ball like he's going to clear it into the 3rd tier of the stand, when in fact he is 2nd to the ball. Had he gone in without swinging his leg, he'd have probably won the ball. Maybe not warranting a red, but it wasn't a great challenge by any stretch. Can't see it being overturned personally.

Also can't see that the Newport lad has done a lot wrong, it's not 2 footed and he wins the ball.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think the appeal process should only be used to clear up absolute howlers, not every decision people don't agree with, otherwise it will just undermine referees at every turn. There is some human error in football. There will be debatable decisions.

Do I think it was a red? No. Am I THAT sure that it wasn't? Not enough to appeal. It is borderline. Ask a Newport County fan and they will probably be saying it was reckless and deserved a red.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've now seen this live, on the you tube and just now on BBC South East. The Newport player dives in. Calde is on his feet. The ball is 50/50 chance between them. It's not a red in a million years.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. The club SHOULD appeal.
2. Neither player has done anything wrong and no cards are warranted.
3. No players around the incident protested or reacted like it was a foul. They ALWAYS do this when the foul is a straight red.
4. The ref has sent him off in the heat of the moment.
5. Had this happened in the 70s both teams would have happily played on.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Calde stayed on his feet, studs were down and he went for the ball. How can that be a red card in any way, shape or form?

Well you can thank the law-makers for changing the rules on challenges that are deemed to result in a possible/actual injury to another player: whether the tackle was made with malicious intent or not. Had Calde been the player who had come off worse in that 50:50 incident, the Ref (via the 4th Official) would probably have sent off the Newport lad instead. It's an absolute bloody farce.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It was excessive force in order to break the players leg. The newport player also had both feet off the ground and that was dangerous.

This isn't an example of excessive force, for what it's worth. I'll confidently guess that the red card, agree it or not, was for what the linesman (and Edinburgh, the 4th official) deemed to be serious foul play.

The fact that a player ends up with a broken leg does not mean excessive force was used- that sort of thing can sometimes happen from a tackle that isn't even a foul.

An example of "excessive force" would be where a simple, straightforward block tackle would suffice, but a player absolutely launches into it, putting an unwitting opponent at risk. That's clearly not the case here as both players are competing for the same, reachable, ball.

I still don't think he should have walked, but that said, we have no chance with the cronies at the FA on this one.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The ref simply BOTTLED it on the basis of the fact that the Newport player was injured. The ref is a ****.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I was flicking between radio Sussex and radio Wales last night and both said it looked a 50:50 and that it was not a red card in their opinions.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
It's certainly clumsy by Calderon as he takes a massive swing at the ball like he's going to clear it into the 3rd tier of the stand, when in fact he is 2nd to the ball. Had he gone in without swinging his leg, he'd have probably won the ball. Maybe not warranting a red, but it wasn't a great challenge by any stretch. Can't see it being overturned personally.

Also can't see that the Newport lad has done a lot wrong, it's not 2 footed and he wins the ball.

But would have left himself open for a red as it would have looked like he made no attempt to get the Ball.

Half of that force wasn't generated by Calde though.

Good point.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I think the appeal process should only be used to clear up absolute howlers, not every decision people don't agree with, otherwise it will just undermine referees at every turn. There is some human error in football. There will be debatable decisions.

Do I think it was a red? No. Am I THAT sure that it wasn't? Not enough to appeal. It is borderline. Ask a Newport County fan and they will probably be saying it was reckless and deserved a red.

The sooner they introduce DRS into football the better IMHO!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But would have left himself open for a red as it would have looked like he made no attempt to get the Ball.

Calderon basically made a massive misjudgement, he clearly felt he was going to get there well ahead of his opponent and have ample time to make a clearance. There was no intent, but it was clumsy, late, and a foul in my book. Had he slid in like the other player to win it, I doubt either would have got hurt, Calderon would have probably won it, and the other player would have been the one late and getting a card.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cannot see the FA overturning the decision. Personally I thought both players should have been red carded.
How could Inigo get a red for that, he stays on his feet and goes for a 50/50 ball. It wasn't dangerous at all, the danger was caused by Anthony going to ground.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
When I saw it live it wasn't a red, having now reviewed the video ten times it still isn't a red. No intent, not dangerous play, he was just trying to play the ball. Also the other guy has slid in studs up slightly off the ground.

If they don't overturn this one they will never over turn any red cars.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here