Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Footage of calde's incident.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Because goals often go in over his head and flapping arms and hit the middle of the net 5 feet off the ground, if he stood upright on the goal line he may stopped all 3....

I wasn't there so I'm going on the youtube clip.

The first one, Casper reacted the way that pretty much every goalkeeper would. The best ones maybe save it but etting it in doesn't make you shit. If it had been saved it would have been a good save.

The second one. What?! Thats in the far corner! Perhaps someone in the defence might have wanted to close down the lad on the ball?

The third one? He's caught out, like our centre half, by the poor pass leaving him stranded. Can't really comment any more on that one as he's not in the picture until he gets rounded by their striker.

As it happens, I'm not a big fan of Ankegren. I think he's a mediocre championship keeper at best. But nothing in that video shows him up as being shit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One thing we can all agree on is that is not a red card, if that does not get overturned then it shows once again what a bunch of muppets run the once brilliant but ever declining game of football.
No chance it will get overturned, IMO. Too contentious to needlessly undermine the ref. I should say that I don't think it was a sending off either, but if the appeal process is there to overturn absolute howlers, then it won't be used here. There just isn't enough evidence to change the decision.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wasn't there so I'm going on the youtube clip.

The first one, Casper reacted the way that pretty much every goalkeeper would. The best ones maybe save it but etting it in doesn't make you shit. If it had been saved it would have been a good save.

The second one. What?! Thats in the far corner! Perhaps someone in the defence might have wanted to close down the lad on the ball?

The third one? He's caught out, like our centre half, by the poor pass leaving him stranded. Can't really comment any more on that one as he's not in the picture until he gets rounded by their striker.

As it happens, I'm not a big fan of Ankegren. I think he's a mediocre championship keeper at best. But nothing in that video shows him up as being shit.
Agree with all of this. I tend to ignore the Ankegren/Brez bashing as it is tiresome. They are 2nd/3rd string keepers for a reason.

And yes I agree that he is mediocre at this level now because he's getting on a bit, but that wasn't always the case. People forget he was integral to a side that ruined league 1 only 2-3 years ago.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No chance it will get overturned, IMO. Too contentious to needlessly undermine the ref. I should say that I don't think it was a sending off either, but if the appeal process is there to overturn absolute howlers, then it won't be used here. There just isn't enough evidence to change the decision.

The ref could admit he got it wrong and all would be ok. Chances of that happening? Not very good. If he doesn't agree it should be rescinded there is no chance whatsoever of the FA withdrawing the red card. You need to be a top 6 Premier League club to get those decisions.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Need to see it in good quality and slo motion to be 100% sure, but from this still it looks like the guy is totally off the ground and Calde has his left foot planted. If Calde's foot was a foot closer, it would have been him with a broken leg instead.

View attachment 45616

His left foot was planted but he struck with his right. We need to see if that was on or over the ball.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agree with all of this. I tend to ignore the Ankegren/Brez bashing as it is tiresome. They are 2nd/3rd string keepers for a reason.

And yes I agree that he is mediocre at this level now because he's getting on a bit, but that wasn't always the case. People forget he was integral to a side that ruined league 1 only 2-3 years ago.

Agree 100%.

We wouldn't be happy if Casper was first choice, but the abuse he gets is OTT, and people put their prejudices against him before what happens on the pitch as it suits their agenda.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Don't think it was a red, but if the ref doesn't rescind, there is no chance of the FA overturning.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The ref could admit he got it wrong and all would be ok. Chances of that happening? Not very good. If he doesn't agree it should be rescinded there is no chance whatsoever of the FA withdrawing the red card. You need to be a top 6 Premier League club to get those decisions.
There are people on this thread who can't decide after watching the replay ten times - Notters and I, to name two. (I don't think it was a red card but I really can't be sure)

If we can't be 100% about it, why on earth would you expect the referee to state he made a mistake at the time?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I can't see the red card being rescinded as the panel will judge it as dangerous play from both players and increase Calde's ban to 4 games as the ref's decision was appealled.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I seem to be completely alone, but I can't even understand why we are appealing.
The guy slides in, not two footed (in my opinion), knocks the ball away before Caldy absolutely hammers him full force on the shin.
It is very, very unfortunately, but Caldy has connected because the other player got there first.
It doesn't matter whether it is accidental or not.

I'll add that I wasn't there, and am simply going on the unclear clip in this thread.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Looks like a complete 50/50 ball, no malice from either player, just going for the ball how it used to attacked in that situation.

Just goes to show even the Spaniards are hard *******s! :mad: lol

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Looking at it, it's a 50/50 ball and just the force of the tackle buckles the poor lad's leg.

I don't think it'll be overturned but it'd be good to see it done as it's just unfortunate, not reckless.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There are people on this thread who can't decide after watching the replay ten times - Notters and I, to name two. (I don't think it was a red card but I really can't be sure)

If we can't be 100% about it, why on earth would you expect the referee to state he made a mistake at the time?

If the ref wasn't sure, which he wasn't as he had to check with the 4th official, he COULD change his mind. As I said the chances are not good but if there is any doubt and there seems to be quite a bit it shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility. I am resigned to him standing by his decision though.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Waste of time appealing in my opinion. That's never going to get overturned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here