Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] FlyBe in trouble? (BBC report)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest, who are all these people flying from Newquay to Heathrow all the time?

There’s gonna be some pissed off second-homers when this service stops.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Out of interest, who are all these people flying from Newquay to Heathrow all the time?

I've done it a few times. We had a finishing house in Newquay and I used to go there to pass page proofs

For some reason, there are a lot of production companies/printers in Cornwell - I once worked on a magazine that was printed in St Ives

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I smell a right wing blogger as the source of this.

So you've downgraded Caroline from First to Business, are we still talking New York or was it someplace else? How often is regular, every week, every month?

Behave! It is a well known fact that La Lucas is a major shareholder in a plastics factory, has her own helicopter and likes nothing better than flying over to Aussie (first class) and starting fires.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Very wealthy people who have 2nd homes in Cornwall and well paid jobs in London? Not sure we need to subsidise their regular commute to work?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I've often thought that perhaps we could have a system of individual carbon credits. Every year on the 1st of Jan every adult gets say 100,000 credits. Every time* you buy something not only do you pay the financial price, you have to pay its carbon price as well with your Credits. There would be a Carbon Exchange (like the ticket exchange). If you don't think you'll use up all your credits (because you're struggling on benefits in a one-bed flat) you can put the surplus on the Exchange. If you're a frequent long-haul flyer who also centrally-heats a big house and drives a thirsty car you'll probably run out by May, so you can buy the extra Credits you need via the Exchange. Has the added benefit of re-distributing wealth straight from rich to poor without the cost friction drag of going via the government.

*There might have to be a certain cut-off. We could start with flights and fuel and work from there.

Probably been thought of (and dismissed) before, but I still like the concept.

Something similar was nearly introduced for local authorities and businesses about 10 years ago. however the government changed it after the financial crash and the Carbon Reduction Commitment effectively became merely an extra tax paid on gas and electricity consumption. Also the trading concept was hideously complicated and would have ended up like betting on the stock exchange with potential for reasonable profits but also huge losses.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/crc-energy-efficiency-scheme

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Guess what - people need to do stuff. I have to travel to Edinburgh quite a lot - I can fly it in 3.5 hours from leaving my house to landing in Edinburgh, or get the train for over 7 hours and twice as expensive.

Not quite the same but on the JV show today a topic was Flybe-v-Green and Newquay to Newcastle 55 mins flight time where a car/train 7/8 hours take away the car option so its train i would imagine plenty of diesel mileage and unless any electric train uses either solar or wind power generated electric the power required to drive the train will be fossil fuel generated,so which is the worse carbon footprint ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not quite the same but on the JV show today a topic was Flybe-v-Green and Newquay to Newcastle 55 mins flight time where a car/train 7/8 hours take away the car option so its train i would imagine plenty of diesel mileage and unless any electric train uses either solar or wind power generated electric the power required to drive the train will be fossil fuel generated,so which is the worse carbon footprint ?

Air travel emissions for one standard class seat are actually similar to there being is one person in a car, but if there were 2 people they'd be double the car and so on.

Its long haul travel when things get ugly. So if a family of 4 flew return from London to Sydney it would be 21,000 x 4, so equivalent to driving a car 84,000 miles, about 7 years driving. If all went first class you'd need to drive until about the year 2050...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Air travel emissions for one standard class seat are actually similar to there being is one person in a car, but if there were 2 people they'd be double the car and so on.

Its long haul travel when things get ugly. So if a family of 4 flew return from London to Sydney it would be 21,000 x 4, so equivalent to driving a car 84,000 miles, about 7 years driving. If all went first class you'd need to drive until about the year 2050...

You’d change your tune if you’ve ever flown Qatar Airways business class to Australia on an A380 with an on board bar ;-)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You’d change your tune if you’ve ever flown Qatar Airways business class to Australia on an A380 with an on board bar ;-)

bet it beats driving there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Looks like they’ll be helped by the government.

Good news all round.

Absolutely, I am sure Monarch and Thomas Cook will look into this and ask why were we not helped out ?

Expect a court case coming up

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Absolutely, I am sure Monarch and Thomas Cook will look into this and ask why were we not helped out ?

Probably owing to legislation in relation to scheduled services from remote areas.

The funny thing is, every green party official out there has been calling for this firm to collapse without realising that even if they had, someone would come along quite quickly to take their place.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013

Both different cases to Flybe - Monarch and particularly Cooks were so deep in the mire financially, it would have been the Government throwing good money after bad.

Flybe are a predominantly domestic regional carrier who are key to one part of the Conservative's Manifesto to develop and improve domestic regional connectivity.

Flybe's owners do have a fair point about Air Passenger Duty on Domestic flights and from what I understand it's a Government agreement to defer APD payments, which no doubt will be overhauled in the March budget for domestic flights, so not a true bail out. Flybe's owners are injecting more capital btw.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here