Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] FlyBe in trouble? (BBC report)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There you go. No wonder the Tories want to prop up the airline. I hope those northern idiots who were charmed by Boris take note.

I've provided warnings about people bringing tired old political shit onto threads, derailing them.

And it doesn't get much more shit than this.

As widely reported over the past few days, Flybe's ownership is:

Virgin Atlantic 30%
Stobart 30%
Cyrus Capital Partners 40%

Jeremy Hosking's company have not had any involvement in Flybe since the purchase by the above a year ago, a move which Hosking both campaigned and voted against.

el punal

Not trying to single you out and give you a hard time. I just think we've (all) got to start looking at the way we do things (including me).. As a footie example, I'd even go for regional leagues. I'm just about old enough to remember the old Third Division (South), not to mention the floodlight ban in the Winter of Discontent in the 1970s.

Old codgers are we! Not so sure about being too aware of Div.3 (South) me being too young at the time. I do remember the bad old days of the 70s - the three day week, energy crisis, floodlight ban, petrol shortages, strikes ad infinitum. I particularly remember those Albion matches that were affected, those games played at 2.00 pm on weekdays, well one anyway! Losing 4-0 to Walton and Hersham in an FA Cup replay!!

The other memorable occasion was going to watch West Ham play Hereford in a cup replay at Upton Park. It was, again, a 2.00 pm kick-off on a Monday (my day off). I caught the train from Brighton, tube from Victoria to Upton Park, exit on to Green Street to find the road seething with fans trying to get to the ground. I somehow squeezed my way through and was one of the last people to get in before they shut the turnstiles. The crowd was 42,000 with with 15,000 locked out - mostly Hereford fans, and it was still nowhere near kick-off time. West Ham won 3-0 by the way.

P.S. Didn’t we play Hereford on a Sunday afternoon because of the floodlight ban? I remember they wouldn’t allow an entrance fee so the Albion resorted to fans paying for a club membership scheme to gain admission. :mad:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've provided warnings about people bringing tired old political shit onto threads, derailing them.

Virgin Atlantic 30%
Stobart 30%

Jeremy Hosking's company have not had any involvement in Flybe since the purchase by the above a year ago, a move which Hosking both campaigned and voted against.

Thanks for pointing this out. You're welcome to remove posts if you think it's all twaddle.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks for pointing this out. You're welcome to remove posts if you think it's all twaddle.

I'm simply tired of all the political shit.

Whilst you don't hide your political allegiance, and there's no reason why you should, I think of you as fair.

However, by posting an old/stale article here, it has been immediately seized by one of the usual suspects who is too lazy to do any research, as they just want their views to be reinforced, and why let the facts get in the way of that?

Your post only caught my eye as the ownership of Flybe has been covered in the news numerous times this week and at no point has Hosking's investment vehicle been mentioned.

The news has also been full of people in remote parts of the UK who seem to have some reliance on Flybe to travel at reasonable cost in a time-efficient manner. For this to be so readily dismissed, in the name of cheap (but incorrect) political point-scoring, by someone who flies numerous times a year between Germany and the UK is breathtaking.

(If you want to have a go at Jeremy Hosking, pick him up for being one of Steve Parish's gang-of-four. He remains a Palace shareholder I believe.)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Old codgers are we! Not so sure about being too aware of Div.3 (South) me being too young at the time. I do remember the bad old days of the 70s - the three day week, energy crisis, floodlight ban, petrol shortages, strikes ad infinitum. I particularly remember those Albion matches that were affected, those games played at 2.00 pm on weekdays, well one anyway! Losing 4-0 to Walton and Hersham in an FA Cup replay!!

The other memorable occasion was going to watch West Ham play Hereford in a cup replay at Upton Park. It was, again, a 2.00 pm kick-off on a Monday (my day off). I caught the train from Brighton, tube from Victoria to Upton Park, exit on to Green Street to find the road seething with fans trying to get to the ground. I somehow squeezed my way through and was one of the last people to get in before they shut the turnstiles. The crowd was 42,000 with with 15,000 locked out - mostly Hereford fans, and it was still nowhere near kick-off time. West Ham won 3-0 by the way.

P.S. Didn’t we play Hereford on a Sunday afternoon because of the floodlight ban? I remember they wouldn’t allow an entrance fee so the Albion resorted to fans paying for a club membership scheme to gain admission. :mad:

Am conscious that we are drifting away from the subject of the thread into memory lane (I'm never far from it at the best of times). I lived away from the area for most of the 70s and 80s so I defer to you. But I do remember a shocking home loss to Leatherhead c.1972-3.
But to link the old codger theme to the green one, having 3 grandkids does focus the mind on the state that the planet we leave behind us.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm simply tired of all the political shit.

Whilst you don't hide your political allegiance, and there's no reason why you should, I think of you as fair.

However, by posting an old/stale article here, it has been immediately seized by one of the usual suspects who is too lazy to do any research, as they just want their views to be reinforced, and why let the facts get in the way of that?

Your post only caught my eye as the ownership of Flybe has been covered in the news numerous times this week and at no point has Hosking's investment vehicle been mentioned.

The news has also been full of people in remote parts of the UK who seem to have some reliance on Flybe to travel at reasonable cost in a time-efficient manner. For this to be so readily dismissed, in the name of cheap (but incorrect) political point-scoring, by someone who flies numerous times a year between Germany and the UK is breathtaking.

(If you want to have a go at Jeremy Hosking, pick him up for being one of Steve Parish's gang-of-four. He remains a Palace shareholder I believe.)

Bozza as I said yesterday its a post truth, post shame world now. But NSC can be the place for truth and justice!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

We playedt two home games on Sunday afternoons in 1973/74: Rochdale and Hereford and, you're right, the club couldn't charge admission. I believe it was admission by programme but could be wrong.

I was delighted as I had a Saturday job so generally only went to evening games - Sunday games were a bonus.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

My Uncle Billy Meadows was playing up front for Hereford that afternoon. Managed to get the whole class to be allowed to listen to it on the radio during the Music class.

He died just before Christmas RIP. Good looking chap, not blood Uncle, of course! Broken nose 3 times and lost his teeth. Old fashioned centre forward.

https://www.talkingbull.org/hereford-hero-33-billy-meadows/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Virgin Atlantic 30%
Stobart 30%

Point taken. But the principle is unchanged as at least one of those current owners is a Tory donor. I’ll leave it there.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Point taken. But the principle is unchanged as at least one of those current owners is a Tory donor. I’ll leave it there.

Is it the one who allows his driver’s to put the names of the girls they have murdered on the side of their cabs?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51117885
everyone is against the solution. i can understand the other air lines, but bit rich of the massively subsidised rail industry to chip in.

The railways haven’t got a leg to stand on.

If the tickets were not two or three times more than the flights on offer there is less of a need to save the airline.

I personally think it’s just a giant assist strip.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
https://www.clevel.co.uk/flight-carbon-calculator/

5.54 tonnes Econ - Lon - Syd
22.16 tonnes 1st Class - London - Syd

Though some airlines estimate 6 times for 1st, I guess some 1st class seats take up more room than others.

Other than chartering a private jet, its hard to find a single act of consumer behaviour that f**ks the planet more.

So if everyone stopped flying first class, the carbon footprint of each flight would reduce? Seems unlikely.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
My Uncle Billy Meadows was playing up front for Hereford that afternoon. Managed to get the whole class to be allowed to listen to it on the radio during the Music class.

He died just before Christmas RIP. Good looking chap, not blood Uncle, of course! Broken nose 3 times and lost his teeth. Old fashioned centre forward.

https://www.talkingbull.org/hereford-hero-33-billy-meadows/

I raised a glass to Billy Meadows (and other absent friends) in December in the company of Ricky George, who told some wonderful stories about their time together at Hereford, especially under the management of the legend that was John Charles. Way off topic of course, but that was a fun occasion which should have been recorded.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So if everyone stopped flying first class, the carbon footprint of each flight would reduce? Seems unlikely.

If everyone stopped flying first class on a particular route, you’d need less flights on that route.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Correct, the carbon footprint of the flight remains the same.

In fact, if no one flew first class, then each passenger's carbon footprint would go UP since there'd be a whole load of empty (fully-reclinable) seats on the plane. Each passenger's individual carbon footprint would only go down if each aircraft removed all premium seats and replaced them with their standard economy offering.

Imagine flying in The Residence on Ethiad? You'll be weighing in considerably higher than 6* an economy passenger...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtlF-6TnMuo

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If everyone stopped flying first class on a particular route, you’d need less flights on that route.

Or different aircraft.

It just seems odd to me that it can be different for passengers in other parts of the plane. I need to read up on it, as I feel the need to understand!

Edit:
OK. That didn’t take long. It’s just based on the floor space in the plane taken up by each passenger, which is an arbitrary measure rather than any scientific calculation.

It might work for making first class passengers pay more in offsetting (which is probably a good thing), but it fails my logic test!

Last edited:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Not trying to single you out and give you a hard time. I just think we've (all) got to start looking at the way we do things (including me).. As a footie example, I'd even go for regional leagues. I'm just about old enough to remember the old Third Division (South), not to mention the floodlight ban in the Winter of Discontent in the 1970s.

Fair play. If you want to sacrifice, then go for it.

Just don’t demand others do.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
But she's not targeting individuals who fly "too much" , she's attacking the system that allows us too. No hypocrisy at all.

I go to a conference in Europe every year and get the train there. Wouldn't fly back if it wasn't such a hassle to get the train back.

That would be one flight ticked off.

So she is against freedom and personal choice?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here