Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] FlyBe in trouble? (BBC report)

Jul 7, 2003
Over the last few years I've use FlyBe quite a few times for work and Albion watching,

Originally it was Gatwick to Newcastle as it was much quicker than the train but then they gave they route up to easyJet who in turn canned the route. More recently Southampton to Manchester quite a few times as it is quicker than the train and was often much cheaper. However, since the takeover last year, the cheap tickets have been harder to come by.

As for the question about Newquay, if you are based in the South East and have business in Cornwall or Devon, flying is much more cost effective than rail or road as you are often saving the cost of a hotel, expenses and more time out of the office.

el punal

How about this for starters?

Ocean temperatures hit record high as rate of heating accelerates

Yes, alright, I’ve got a conscience about global warming and the environment. Just to let you know that I use public transport (bus and train) to watch all my Albion matches home and away. The only exception is when kick off times are at stupid o’clock and means that a car is the only option available to get there and back.

As for air travel? Again based on the fact that it was the only mode of transport available at the time. Still, my conscience is salved every time I hear that well worn P.A. announcement from Southern stating “that this train will terminate at Barnham due to . . . . ”

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As for the question about Newquay, if you are based in the South East and have business in Cornwall or Devon, flying is much more cost effective than rail or road as you are often saving the cost of a hotel, expenses and more time out of the office.

Which is why they could charge more for the flight and it would still be the best choice.

I flew Newquay to Gatwick a couple of times when I lived down there and it’s so much more efficient than most flights at the Newquay end that it was far more enjoyable than driving or the train. I’ve also flown for work a few times and being able to do a day trip to Belfast and Edinburgh and still put in a full day is a great benefit, rather than spend all day on a train (or worse, in a car).

I’d support an increased tax on frequent fliers, as it would reduce the trips to just necessary ones rather than just going because you always do on a Tuesday, for instance. I’m already applying that to train travel and working from home more regularly in order to cut my travel down.

My car has only done 1200 miles since October. I used to do that every month!

There’s lots of ways we are able to reduce travel nowadays and perhaps FlyBe have been slow to react to lower than forecast passenger numbers. Or perhaps they’re just financially incompetent. Either way, raising their prices and reducing flights is probably what they need to do rather than seek help from the government.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yes, alright, I’ve got a conscience about global warming and the environment. Just to let you know that I use public transport (bus and train) to watch all my Albion matches home and away. The only exception is when kick off times are at stupid o’clock and means that a car is the only option available to get there and back.

As for air travel? Again based on the fact that it was the only mode of transport available at the time. Still, my conscience is salved every time I hear that well worn P.A. announcement from Southern stating “that this train will terminate at Barnham due to . . . . ”

Not trying to single you out and give you a hard time. I just think we've (all) got to start looking at the way we do things (including me).. As a footie example, I'd even go for regional leagues. I'm just about old enough to remember the old Third Division (South), not to mention the floodlight ban in the Winter of Discontent in the 1970s.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Its long haul travel when things get ugly. So if a family of 4 flew return from London to Sydney it would be 21,000 x 4, so equivalent to driving a car 84,000 miles, about 7 years driving. If all went first class you'd need to drive until about the year 2050...

Really? So in economy you would leave a carbon footprint similar in size as if driving for 7 years, but in 1st class it would be more over 4 times that period. Could you please show us the maths on that?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really? So in economy you would leave a carbon footprint similar in size as if driving for 7 years, but in 1st class it would be more over 4 times that period. Could you please show us the maths on that?

Scroll back to yesterday and you will see an explanation for why first class will be more. Whilst we can argue if it’s 4, 5 or 6 times more, the principle is the same.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Which is why they could charge more for the flight and it would still be the best choice.

I flew Newquay to Gatwick a couple of times when I lived down there and it’s so much more efficient than most flights at the Newquay end that it was far more enjoyable than driving or the train. I’ve also flown for work a few times and being able to do a day trip to Belfast and Edinburgh and still put in a full day is a great benefit, rather than spend all day on a train (or worse, in a car).

I’d support an increased tax on frequent fliers, as it would reduce the trips to just necessary ones rather than just going because you always do on a Tuesday, for instance. I’m already applying that to train travel and working from home more regularly in order to cut my travel down.

My car has only done 1200 miles since October. I used to do that every month!

There’s lots of ways we are able to reduce travel nowadays and perhaps FlyBe have been slow to react to lower than forecast passenger numbers. Or perhaps they’re just financially incompetent. Either way, raising their prices and reducing flights is probably what they need to do rather than seek help from the government.

I’m no financial expert but it’s looking more and more like they’re incompetent.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
How about this for starters?

Ocean temperatures hit record high as rate of heating accelerates

Ban football, or at least ban away fans. All these journeys to 'support your team' are completely unnecessary. Even public transport has a carbon footprint.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Scroll back to yesterday and you will see an explanation for why first class will be more. Whilst we can argue if it’s 4, 5 or 6 times more, the principle is the same.

the principle is flawed as it treats first class in isolation. the headline numbers for passenger/mile/CO2 count for the capacity of long haul including the proportion of first class.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Contrary to others my experience of Flybe (who I like) is that they are much more expensive than other airlines on European routes. I used to fly with them from Gatwick or Southampton to Bergerac but found they became so much more expensive than other airlines to the same area that I switched from using them even though it was a little inconvenient to go to Toulouse or Bordeaux from LGW or LHR. I am talking double the price here at the time.

They were also really anal about hand baggage weights and if my hand baggage was 11 kilos they’d make me lose a kilo to my hold baggage. I haven’t come across another airline like that. Only did it once though as it was both embarrassing and irritating to have to do this at check in.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I’ve tended to use Flybe a fair bit over the years for domestic flights. Combination of work, kids at uni in Manchester and Edinburgh and family.

What has really put me off recently is both the higher prices (unless you don’t have much of a timetable) and also that you have to pay to drop someone off at Southampton Airport. We were fined just before Christmas after my partner dropped me off on the approach rd. I had no cases, just a shoulder bag and the whole process took about 10 seconds.

Tend to use easyJet more now anyway but it doesn’t seem to me that the financial interests of airports and carriers are very well aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I wonder if this fella had a word with Sajid Javid at any point.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/c...in-donors-and-3-8-million-in-donations-501223

Earlier this month, City financier Jeremy Hosking, a major investor in the Flybe airline, switched his support for the Conservatives giving £200,000 to the Brexit Party after becoming disillusioned with the Tories’ failure to deliver Brexit. Mr Hosking donated £350,000 to the Conservative candidates during the 2017 general election campaign. He also handed over £1.7m to the largely Conservative-backed Vote Leave campaign during the 2016 EU referendum.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the principle is flawed as it treats first class in isolation. the headline numbers for passenger/mile/CO2 count for the capacity of long haul including the proportion of first class.

The idea a first class punter’s share of a plane’s CO2 emissions is more makes perfect sense to me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

https://www.clevel.co.uk/flight-carbon-calculator/

5.54 tonnes Econ - Lon - Syd
22.16 tonnes 1st Class - London - Syd

Though some airlines estimate 6 times for 1st, I guess some 1st class seats take up more room than others.

Other than chartering a private jet, its hard to find a single act of consumer behaviour that f**ks the planet more.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There you go. No wonder the Tories want to prop up the airline. I hope those northern idiots who were charmed by Boris take note.

I think it was more a case of running scared of the naive nutter Corbyn than being charmed by Boris.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So what's is going to cost us to keep them these clowns afloat? More than Megs & Arry?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here