stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Where is your evidence?

She said it herself on Andrew Marr one Sunday morning.

[tweet]1193476267296858112[/tweet]

(I'm not piling here on Lucas here - I just opened this thread at this point and could answer your question)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
She said it herself on Andrew Marr one Sunday morning.

[tweet]1193476267296858112[/tweet]

(I'm not piling here on Lucas here - I just opened this thread at this point and could answer your question)

She said "she flies ocassionally to the US", not regularly by first class.

I know since 13th Dec we're in a post truth, post shame world. But NSC should do better, lets call out the lies not try and inflate them with half truths?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
First test for Boris's commitment on reducing carbon emissions...

Government floating the idea of bailing out Flybe in waiving UK air passenger duty going forward.

If they do this they need to up general APD on International flights to compensate for the loss.

Either that or let em go bust...

stark choice will face governments in coming years, jobs or environment.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
She said "she flies ocassionally to the US", not regularly by first class.

I know since 13th Dec we're in a post truth, post shame world. But NSC should do better, lets call out the lies not try and inflate them with half truths?

That's a bit OTT.

I'd missed the "first class" bit. I was merely highlighting she'd said she flies to the US. You can argue the toss on what "regularly" means, but choose someone else to do it with, please. As I say - I just opened the thread and (tried to) respond to a question.

I'm neither anti-Lucas nor anti-flying.

As Marr said in that snippet - we all have to make choices, and I'm not going to berate anyone for visiting a loved one where air is the only viable means of transport.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That's a bit OTT.

I'd missed the "first class" bit. I was merely highlighting she'd said she flies to the US. You can argue the toss on what "regularly" means, but choose someone else to do it with, please. As I say - I just opened the thread and (tried to) respond to a question.

I'm neither anti-Lucas nor anti-flying.

As Marr said in that snippet - we all have to make choices, and I'm not going to berate anyone for visiting a loved one where air is the only viable means of transport.

Even if we argue the toss about what regular is, the accusation that Lucas flies "first class" is completely false

Emissions from 1st class are 6 times that of economy, there is no way Lucas would do that.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Good. I live in the flight path to Southend Airport (laughingly billed asLondon Southend international) and ****ing Flybe are by far the noisiest buggers passing within yards of my chimney. I have been known to stand in my back garden shouting “I hope you bloody well crash” at them. It seems to have worked...at least at financial level.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Even if we argue the toss about what regular is, the accusation that Lucas flies "first class" is completely false

Emissions from 1st class are 6 times that of economy, there is no way Lucas would do that.

where on earth does that come from? the plane consumes x amount and that is distributed among the passengers, regardless of travel class.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
where on earth does that come from? the plane consumes x amount and that is distributed among the passengers, regardless of travel class.

I suspect the maths is that a first class seat takes up approximately six times the space of an economy seat, ie six people could in theory fly in the place of one first class passenger.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

First class people have more facilities and space and therefore more weight.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I suspect the maths is that a first class seat takes up approximately six times the space of an economy seat, ie six people could in theory fly in the place of one first class passenger.

seems such a contrivance is the case.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes. She flies to New York regularly in first class to see her son.

Well how else is she supposed to get to New York, swim?, flying across the pond really is the only practial option, and if she has the funds and wishes to travel First Class, that's up her to her.

FlyBe on the other hand operates mainly domestically, and l'm sure that in many instances there are alternative ways to travel, train etc.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
seems such a contrivance is the case.

Not at all, if business and first class travel was taxed out of existence we could significantly reduced the emissions from long haul aviation. We'd need fewer flights to get people around.

Private jets are the worst of all, for the really selfish people...

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Well how else is she supposed to get to New York, swim?, flying across the pond really is the only practial option, and if she has the funds and wishes to travel First Class, that's up her to her.

FlyBe on the other hand operates mainly domestically, and l'm sure that in many instances there are alternative ways to travel, train etc.

nqapqzq-imgur.gif

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not at all, if business and first class travel was taxed out of existence we could significantly reduced the emissions from long haul aviation. We'd need fewer flights to get people around.

Taxes are already pretty high on premium class seats.

Airline pricing is bonkers. Look at these BA direct Heathrow -> San Francisco return flights I was looking at for the upcoming Feb half-term...

Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 10.59.58.png

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Private jets are for the really selfish people...

you are assuming that all flights are at 100% capacity and overlooking that high fares on business and first class cross-subsidise air travel. they are built into the cost and capacity models. following the logic of 6x emissions for a first class, a 50% full flight is using twice the emissions, so everyone should pay twice the tax. except the lower weight means less emissions, so is that better? all the head line aggregate sums based on passenger per mile go out the window. we could have some fun and apply to rail too and find first class is say 4x more, now make comparison between first class rail and flying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here