Farewell to Gary Hart in Sussex

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
How many players have we ever had that nobody has a bad word to say against and who is equally revered on and off the pitch? Deserved legend status :albion:

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
One of the only players since the Goldstone days that my dad never moaned about. A very rare occurrence. Therefore legend status.
Always thought he was a great role model for kids. If you give your all that's all we ask for, talent can be nurtured.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can we start a petition to get him up on the legends/special moments (pfft) wall outside the ground? Harty HAS to be there.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Super pro & club legend. Good luck OGH. :clap2:

I remember when we were buying our current car (2nd hand). We'd already picked out our potential buy but the salesman had to show me another. "Do you like football?" he asked. "Albion season ticket holder" I replied. "Are you interested in this one? It's Gary Hart's old one" he told me. While this would have been an excellent claim to fame I had to decline. If he'd driven it like he played it would have been absolutely knackered.

Wise move. My dad bought a car off an ex-Albion player and it was permanently crocked after about three months

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How many players have we ever had that nobody has a bad word to say against and who is equally revered on and off the pitch? Deserved legend status :albion:

Can't say people were quite so charitable towards the end of his career - "... hasn't scored for four years", "... old, slow", "... work rate alone shouldn't get him into the team" etc.

Nothing a bit of perspective couldn't cure though.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My son (& wife!) will be gutted if OGH has moved back home. Gary's been coaching him the last few months and my boy has blossomed since he took him under his wing. He has a real connection with the kids & always gave them so much encouragement....great guy.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
OGH - BHAFC Legend. Lets not forget most of us had written him off in 2004 after he broke his leg at Peterborough two seasons earlier and had lost his pace down the wing.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
We played Crowborough in a post season friendly .... I seem to recall it was a charity game arranged by Paul Rogers ...it would have been 2001 just after we'd won the second division .... anyway I took my then girlfriend now my wife along .... OGH (and I can't remember why) ended up in goal and sported MK's keepers shirt (did MK play outfield?) ... anyway at the end of the game Gary posed for a photo with my good lady (still got the photo) .... I said to her afterwards "I bet he stank" .... "No" she replied "he smelt gorgeous" ... when I next saw him he revealed that Joop was the secret to his success ... Good Luck Gary ....some lovely memories from the video footage on page one of this thread .... Legend !

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Can't say people were quite so charitable towards the end of his career - "... hasn't scored for four years", "... old, slow", "... work rate alone shouldn't get him into the team" etc.

Nothing a bit of perspective couldn't cure though.

Listen - we were all aware of OGH's limitations, they were often discussed on here, and I suspect he would admit to them as well. But that takes nothing away from an appreciation for his contribution to our Club when his enthusiasm, commitment and skill were a welcome contrast to much that was going on.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
373 Albion appearances, according to Wikipedia.

As far as I can see, only Peter O'Sullivan, Des Tennant, Glen Wilson and Norman Gall have ever made more appearances from the Albion, all members of the 400 appearance club. Amazing stuff from the £1000 man.

Just under £3 an appearance, value for money!

To put that in to context, CMS would have to play over 800,000 games for us to match that and you could argue he's just a rich mans Hart who brings the same positives to the team.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
My first favourite player at the Albion after I had finally started going to Albion games. A proper heads down and get on with it professional, the likes of which you see rarely these days. I'm quite happy to see the word legend bandied about on this thread, it is thoroughly deserved.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Some of the goals on that YouTube clip are beautifully taken. He was more talented than perhaps people give him credit for and certainly a fantastic pro.

Fans really relate to players like that. Gary seemed to love playing for us, never forgot how lucky he was, and made the most of his ability. Good on him and I hope he finds a role within the game.

Absolutely this. Despite watching OGH throughout his time with the club, it wasn't until l saw that youtube clip that l realised the quality of some of the goals he scored for us. Well done Gary, you gave your all for the cause, and no one can do better than that. Good luck for the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports