Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Farewell to Gary Hart in Sussex

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Thanks for all those great memories Harty; & here's hoping that there's a good life waiting on t'other side of football. :clap2:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
He embodies everything that's good about football. Wish there were more like him.

I think he and Paul Reid between them must have played every position except keeper. God, the squads in those days were cellotaped together....

Somewhere or other I have a photo of him playing in goal in a friendly against Crowborough, and saving a penalty. Michel Kuipers was playing up front.

Harty is a top bloke, with a lovely family. My best wishes go to all of them.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
All the best OGH - thanks for the memories ....

Perhaps a word from you with Kemy about self motivation before you went may have helped kick-start his on pitch attitude?

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Got to meet him a couple of months ago in a bar in town, after the Leicester game. A great guy. His mates from Eastbourne gave him some stick for the attention he was getting!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
A real porfessional who gave his all and a nice man to boot. Wish him well for the future.

Barker and Hart was the first striker partnership we had when the the turnaround started so we owe both of them a lot.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I can't remember if he's on the legends wall behind the west stand. If not, surely he's a great candidate. I wonder if we'll ever have a player who plays that number of times for us again?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
If he packs it in altogether it would be nice if the club offered him some sort of role at the club.

Agreed.

Club legend who's late season performances, and goals almost single-handedly kept us up in his last season.

Played in almost every position for us, never gave less than his absolute best, and looked pretty good anywhere on the pitch.

Thanks OGH.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
All of the above really. You got the feeling that playing for Brighton wasn't just a job for Gary.

Good luck OGH

:clap:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Super pro & club legend. Good luck OGH. :clap2:

I remember when we were buying our current car (2nd hand). We'd already picked out our potential buy but the salesman had to show me another. "Do you like football?" he asked. "Albion season ticket holder" I replied. "Are you interested in this one? It's Gary Hart's old one" he told me. While this would have been an excellent claim to fame I had to decline. If he'd driven it like he played it would have been absolutely knackered.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Super pro & club legend. Good luck OGH. :clap2:

I remember when we were buying our current car (2nd hand). We'd already picked out our potential buy but the salesman had to show me another. "Do you like football?" he asked. "Albion season ticket holder" I replied. "Are you interested in this one? It's Gary Hart's old one" he told me. While this would have been an excellent claim to fame I had to decline. If he'd driven it like he played it would have been absolutely knackered.

Listen to the Roar show and he tells you about a classic car him and Kerry had which caught fire.

Wise decision on your part I'd say.

I think it is worth putting up his Wikipedia entry to remind people of the legend - I am sure most of it is true but I think the last sentence may be a matter for personal judgment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Hart_(footballer)

(That is Gary Hart, footballer, not the American politician or wrestler of the same name)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
How many players have we ever had that nobody has a bad word to say against and who is equally revered on and off the pitch? Deserved legend status :albion:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
He's one of those rare players that pretty much everyone loved. Always gave everything on the pitch and never shirked anything.

Scored some cracking goals as well. And I'm sure I can remember him going in goal for one game. Played very well too, but I can't remember which game it was.

Very best of luck for the future, OGH. And thanks for all the memories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here