Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] English manager

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Since the start of football - in 1992/93, obviously - the following numbers of trophies have been won by English managers...

Premier League / Premiership - 0
FA Cup - 2 (Royle 95, Redknapp 08)
League Cup - 4 (Atkinson 94, Evans 95, Little 96, McLaren 04)

But our current aim isn't to win a trophy, it is to get promoted, and if you look at the stats for managers who have won promotion from our division to the top flight since 92/3, I would guess you'll find that 95%+ have been British managers. I'm not saying that I'd find the prospect of Hughton, Adkins, Warnock or Mackay managing the Albion particularly exciting, but the current fashion of appointing foreign managers has, without doubt, resulted in very little success in our current division.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But our current aim isn't to win a trophy, it is to get promoted, and if you look at the stats for managers who have won promotion from our division to the top flight since 92/3, I would guess you'll find that 95%+ have been British managers. I'm not saying that I'd find the prospect of Hughton, Adkins, Warnock or Mackay managing the Albion particularly exciting, but the current fashion of appointing foreign managers has, without doubt, resulted in very little success in our current division.

What percentage of managers in this division since 1992 have been foreign ??? 2% , 3% ???

How can you draw any statistically valid conclusion from this sample size ?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Ignoring the fact that 95% of the managers have been British(so of course the vast majority of promoted managers have been British.) Someone did the stats the last time this ridculous point came up and there was nothing in it.

Also, take last season in isolation 50% of the teams that finished in the top 4 had a foreign manager, yet less than 10% of the teams in the division had a foreign manager.

And of course you could have made the same point about the First Division/Premier League in the mid 90's. Currently, excluding Ferguson, who's the last manager that isn't a foreigner to have won the Premier League.

Things move on.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Current trend?

How many non-British managers are there in the Championship at present? Four.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Since the start of football - in 1992/93, obviously - the following numbers of trophies have been won by English managers...

Premier League / Premiership - 0
FA Cup - 2 (Royle 95, Redknapp 08)
League Cup - 4 (Atkinson 94, Evans 95, Little 96, McLaren 04)

That's a brilliant statistic when it comes to dealing with the top flight, the pinnacle of the English game. Unfortunately, we're not in the top flight so you'd be better off looking at managers to have got out of the second tier. Since 1992/93, the non-English managers to do it are:

Champions - (Tigana 01, Worthington 04, Keane 07, Mowbray 08, Mackay 13)

Runners up - (Souness 01, McLeish 09, Di Matteo 10, Lambert 11)

Play off Winners - (O'Neill 96, Burley 00, Davies 07, Coyle 09, Rodgers 11)

14 of the 62 sides to have won promotion to the Premier League have been non-English. Remove the non-British element and it drops to just two out of 62. Now obviously there have been far less foreign managers in the Championship, with the craze only taking over in the last few seasons but that is still a pretty damning statistic

Aug 23, 2011

Hughton is Irish (well he played for them) so debatably British. Also of the last 12 managers to get promotion to the premier league 11 were British (including Hughton). Of those 11, 7 lost their jobs by the end of the following season and 1 other (Holloway) didn't keep them up. The only survivors were Rodgers (left Swansea for Liverpool), Allardyce and Bruce (only halfway through a season after promotion). This doesn't actually prove a lot but could be argued that the "tried and tested" route sin't very successful in the long term

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's a brilliant statistic when it comes to dealing with the top flight, the pinnacle of the English game. Unfortunately, we're not in the top flight so you'd be better off looking at managers to have got out of the second tier. Since 1992/93, the non-English managers to do it are:

Champions - (Tigana 01, Worthington 04, Keane 07, Mowbray 08, Mackay 13)

Runners up - (Souness 01, McLeish 09, Di Matteo 10, Lambert 11)

Play off Winners - (O'Neill 96, Burley 00, Davies 07, Coyle 09, Rodgers 11)

14 of the 62 sides to have won promotion to the Premier League have been non-English. Remove the non-British element and it drops to just two out of 62. Now obviously there have been far less foreign managers in the Championship, with the craze only taking over in the last few seasons but that is still a pretty damning statistic

You've argued the point yourself - the relative number of 'foreign' managers in the Championship is miniscule.

It's not damning at all - it's on a par.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
You've argued the point yourself - the relative number of 'foreign' managers in the Championship is miniscule.

It's not damning at all - it's on a par.

In other words, let's see how many non-English managers have achieved promotion as a proportion of the total number of non-English managers to have managed in that time period, versus that same stat for English managers. That would be a better comparison.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In other words, let's see how many non-English managers have achieved promotion as a proportion of the total number of non-English managers to have managed in that time period, versus that same stat for English managers. That would be a better comparison.

As stated above, 'foreign' managers have been a much more recent thing in the Championship than in the Premiership. To compare it to as far back as 1992 (even though I compared the relative crapness of 'English' manager since then - the Scots seem to make better managers) is unrealistic as there were none back then.

There's only four now.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
. Now obviously there have been far less foreign managers in the Championship, with the craze only taking over in the last few seasons but that is still a pretty damning statistic

Well, no it's not, is it?

Since 2004-5 (when the championship was formed) There have been (i counted) 16 managers from outside of UK and Ireland out of (I make it) 253 to have managed in this league or 6%

I've included just the chamionship era as you stated this is a relatively new concept (foreign manager in the 2nd tier).

In no way can any sort of statistical analysis or trend be made when only 6% of the managers were foreign.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's "loose" not "lose"
Oh. I thought lose was past tense, and loose is future tense, eg: sometimes we lose, and I imagine next game we're loose too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here