Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England World Cup Squad?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I still think for a 1 off game which is all he would be needed for in my opinion its worth the risk.
If Cappello " is the one" as most of you seem to think, then i dont know why your all so anti his incluson as Capello clearly wants it to happen.
The more i think about it the more i actually think it makes sense and that Capello will go for it.

It just annoys me How good King could of been, I doubt he would be at Spurs now if he was injury free.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I still think for a 1 off game which is all he would be needed for in my opinion its worth the risk.
If Cappello " is the one" as most of you seem to think, then i dont know why your all so anti his incluson as Capello clearly wants it to happen.
The more i think about it the more i actually think it makes sense and that Capello will go for it.

He won't, not with Rio's injury "situation" too (which is obviously worrying)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Out of the first 15 selections the NSC consensus of squad - with votes - is as follows:

Green 15
Hart 13
James 11

G Johnson 14.5
Brown 12
A Cole 15
Baines 13
Terry 14
Ferdinand 15
Upson 11
Lescott 8

Gerrard 15
Lampard 14
Barry 15
Milner 15
Carrick 15
Beckham 12
Lennon 10.5
Walcott 8.5

Rooney 15
Defoe 15
Crouch 13.5
Heskey 9.5

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Based on NSC's judgement it's pretty clear-cut, and there's really only 2 questions left:

1. Do you take LESCOTT if you already have 2 left-backs, 3 centre-backs AND Wes Brown?
2. Can either Joe Cole (6) or SWP (6.5) sneak in ahead of WALCOTT (8.5)?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Out of the first 15 selections the NSC consensus of squad - with votes - is as follows:

Green 15
Hart 13
James 11

G Johnson 14.5
Brown 12
A Cole 15
Baines 13
Terry 14
Ferdinand 15
Upson 11
Lescott 8

Gerrard 15
Lampard 14
Barry 15
Milner 15
Carrick 15
Beckham 12
Lennon 10.5
Walcott 8.5

Rooney 15
Defoe 15
Crouch 13.5
Heskey 9.5

The original question was 'if everyone was fit', yet only ONE person has mentioned Owen Hargreaves. Madness.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The original question was 'if everyone was fit', yet only ONE person has mentioned Owen Hargreaves. Madness.

I didn't really concentrate on the "if everyone was fit" test. I really rate Hargreaves and would want him in the starting 11 ahead of Barry once we are out of the group stages. The harsh truth is of course that even if he was fit now, he has barely played competitively for 18 months and will be a long way out of touch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hargreaves has been out for so long he's not a factor, particularly with the emergence of James Milner.

I find the Ledley King debate interesting, and as a fan of baseball where pinch hitters and relief pitchers are integral parts of any side I think it's worth taking King to cover the scenario of Terry or Ferdinand being suspended or injured.

Rio's back injury is a real worry - he'll go, but will he physically be ready for 7 matches? Upson's slip last night was a reminder of his vulnerability, and here's a guy Arsenal let go and no Top 7 side seems that anxious to sign up. So is he REALLY that reliable?

It happens quite often that players miss the really big matches through injury or suspension - remember Laurent Blanc missing the final for France? Fortunately, they had someone decent in Frank LeBouef to step in. I know who I'd prefer to be marking Torres in ther Final and it wouldn't be Upson or Lescott.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
hargreaves would be first choice right back if he didnt have the knees of an 80 year old

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Hargreaves has been out for so long he's not a factor, particularly with the emergence of James Milner.

I find the Ledley King debate interesting, and as a fan of baseball where pinch hitters and relief pitchers are integral parts of any side I think it's worth taking King to cover the scenario of Terry or Ferdinand being suspended or injured.

Rio's back injury is a real worry - he'll go, but will he physically be ready for 7 matches? Upson's slip last night was a reminder of his vulnerability, and here's a guy Arsenal let go and no Top 7 side seems that anxious to sign up. So is he REALLY that reliable?

It happens quite often that players miss the really big matches through injury or suspension - remember Laurent Blanc missing the final for France? Fortunately, they had someone decent in Frank LeBouef to step in. I know who I'd prefer to be marking Torres in ther Final and it wouldn't be Upson or Lescott.

Hallelujah ! absolutely spot on.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
hargreaves would be first choice right back if he didnt have the knees of an 80 year old

Another good shout, Id take Hargreaves over Brown as my right back cover if fit and also gives you that added option in midfield.
Shame hes not fit really.

trancing

On our way 2 falmer
Jul 23, 2009
Shoreham By Sea
Green
Hart
James

Rio
Terry
Johnson
Baines
Ashley Cole
Upson
Lescott
Brown ( I would rather have Richards but Capello doesnt rate him )

Lennon
Barry
Lampard
Gerrard
Beckham
Carrick
Milner
J.Cole

Rooney
Defoe
Crouch
Heskey

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would rather put Withdean Wanderer in my squad than have Wes Brown in it.

I can't believe how this bloke is a professional footballer let alone an international !!

I would go for

James
Green
Hart/Robinson

Glenn Johnson
Micah Richards
John Terry
Michael Dawson
Rio Ferdinand
Matthew Upson
Ashley Cole
Leighton Baines

Stevie Gerrard
James Milner
Frank Lampard
Michael Carrick
Gareth Barry
David Beckham
Aaron Lennon
Shaun Wright Phillips

Wayne Rooney
Jermaine Defoe
Peter Crouch
Bobby Zamora

I'd love to be able to put Leadley King in there as in my mind when fit he is the best central defender we have BUT he's hardly ever fit and even if he was he would never be able to games 2, 3 or 4 games in quick succession as you would have to in the World Cup.

Isnt this just a list of English players in the Premiership?

Russell Slade's hat

Mar 16, 2008
Burgess Hill
Hart
Green
Robinson

Terry
Ferdinand
Shawcross
Johnson
Cole
Richard
Warnock
Upson

Lampard
Gerrard
Wright - Phillips
Barry
Milner
Beckham
Lennon
Carrick

Rooney
Defoe
Zamora
Crouch

Would be my Squad, Zamora has proved himself, I also rate Warnock above Baines.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here