England World Cup Squad?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Even when fit, ledley king is possibly the most OVER RATED player i've ever come across. He's just an average centre back, nothing worse nothing better.

I can only assume you've never seen a fully fit Leadley King then. He is one of the best central defenders I have ever seen when he is fully fit - problem is that he hasn't been fully fit for a long time.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
rooney and defoe CANT play together. there is no focal point for the attack and with no big bastard to worry about, defences concentrate more on rooney which means he is less of a goal threat

you need to take those two (defoe as back up to rooney) and two target men as the four strikers - id go with heskey and crouch

taking zamora would be akin to sven taking walcott in 2006

The reason for taking Zamora would be that I think he could play alongside any of the other strikers whereas some others would perhaps only be suited to one of the strikers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No point in talking about Zamora. If he ever had a chance, it disappeared when Capello announced his squad for the Egypt match.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
James

Gerrard
Joe Cole
Barry
Carrick
Milner
Lennon
N'Zogbia
Morrison
Walcott

A creative thought, and sorry to burst your bubble, but I suspect Monsieur N'Zogbia might struggle with the words to God Save The Queen, if you catch my drift. La Marseillaise, on the other hand...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Because of the nature of injuries and suspensions nearly every player in a World Cup winning squad will play at least some part of some game...you can carry no pasengers.

How do you not know that in the first game Rio gets injured for the tournament and Terry gets sent off and gets a subsequent three match ban. How can you possibly have in your squad a man whom can play one game in 14 days. Also with King's record of being unfit. How can you be sure he is going to be fit for the one (or more) games that you need him to be? Because of his record that he has to be patched up for nearly every game in all probability he won't be.

Still this is all conjecture, as thank goodness you are not the England manager. I also see you picked Carragher as well, you obviously didn't notice him getting roasted at the back for Liverpool in the Champions League earlier on this season and a man who has clearly lost at least a yard of pace.

Thank goodness we have Capello in charge and not you, Carragher/King central defensive partnership :lolol:

Every player will play some part you say...exactly my point King would be required for 2 games at most if we have suspensions or injuries....IF.

You dont play football on iffs and buts...what if Rooney gets injured...what if blah blah blah

My squad was chosen on if everyone was available which isnt the case i know.
However if Carragher was availiable i would pick him in my squad for sure..hes been immaculate for many a season, i dont see Jagielka, Shawcross, Dawson, Lescott etc playing in Champions league football....you honestly think they would cope better ?.....bollox

Id rather have someone at a world cup i know i can rely on at centre half with 50 odd caps to his name than a player who didnt, simlilar thoughts with Ledley King.
Both are light years ahead of our current back ups at centre half.

And if Capello had the opportunity to pick them even now they would both be certs to be on the plane.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Every player will play some part you say...exactly my point King would be required for 2 games at most if we have suspensions or injuries....IF.

You dont play football on iffs and buts...what if Rooney gets injured...what if blah blah blah

However if Carragher was availiable i would pick him in my squad for sure..hes been immaculate for many a season, i dont see Jagielka, Shawcross, Dawson, Lescott etc playing in Champions league football....you honestly think they would cope better ?.....bollox

Id rather have someone at a world cup i know i can rely on at centre half with 50 odd caps to his name than a player who didnt, simlilar thoughts with Ledley King.

And if Capello had the opportunity to pick them even now they would both be certs to be on the plane.

King has Been spurs best CB this season and is half fit.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
King has Been spurs best CB this season and is half fit.

Exactly. And Capello practically begged him to play a while back even naming him in his squad.

I still think he might even ask him again nearer the time to be honest.
And we know he has also asked Carragher.

Why has he done this....because he knows the pair of them are far better than the current back up we have.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

No you are wrong. It is almost certain with the nature of the intensity of a tournament such as the World Cup that players will get injured and or suspended. The people you have to replace them cannot then be a massive liability as to whether they will be fit or not as you would by taking King. Every player that you choose should be available for every game (you could possibly make an exception with your star player a la Rooney 06, Beckham 02) but not with a squad player which King would definitely be.

Have you seen how poor Carragher has been this season, he makes John Terry look like greased lightning. Do you watch the game of football at all?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Exactly. And Capello practically begged him to play a while back even naming him in his squad.

I still think he might even ask him again nearer the time to be honest.
And we know he has also asked Carragher.

Why has he done this....because he knows the pair of them are far better than the current back up we have.

I think he will go to the world cup, I think he should.

I recall Harry having a massive bust up with The FA about King being called up.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
No you are wrong. It is almost certain with the nature of the intensity of a tournament such as the World Cup that players will get injured and or suspended. The people you have to replace them cannot then be a massive liability as to whether they will be fit or not as you would by taking King. Every player that you choose should be available for every game (you could possibly make an exception with your star player a la Rooney 06, Beckham 02) but not with a squad player which King would definitely be.

Have you seen how poor Carragher has been this season, he makes John Terry look like greased lightning. Do you watch the game of football at all?

Id like to see how much game time a 3rd and 4th choice england centre half actually got at a world cup in previous tournaments.
Id put my money on not much....no more than 2 games.

Lets face it if the likes of Upson and Jagielka for example have to play a significant amount of games at the World Cup we know were screwed. At least with either Carragher or King you stand half a chance.

We know now that form and playing regular for your club side really dosent matter like Capello said it did or Walcott wouldnt have started last night.

Id still take King and Carragher without hesitation if available

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think he will go to the world cup, I think he should.

I recall Harry having a massive bust up with The FA about King being called up.

He did have a falling out i remember, I think it was because he was actually playing every saturday at the time and they wanted him to train all week and then play midweek too, which we know isnt possible.

If you asked Redknapp if he would say taking him to the world cup as cover was a good idea i dont think he would have any objections.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He did have a falling out i remember, I think it was because he was actually playing every saturday at the time and they wanted him to train all week and then play midweek too, which we know isnt possible.

If you asked Redknapp if he would say taking him to the world cup as cover was a good idea i dont think he would have any objections.

I doubt he would because it wouldnt affect Spurs, His Injury isnt going to get better so its not like the rest will do him good, I should imagine they had a talk about it when he signed his new contract recently

brighton_haha

Feb 8, 2008
I dont want him to play 7 games in 31 days though.

But if i need him for 1 or 2 games id rather have Him than Upson, Lescott, Jagielka, Shawcross.

You really dont engage the brain before spouting of do you ?

50% of the squad will be there effectively sight seeing as you call it.

Are you deluded ?

King ahead of Upson, Lescott, Jagielka, and Shawcross.....

PMSL....

:clap2:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1st XI

1. Green
2. G Johnson
3. A Cole
4. R Ferdinand
5. J Terry
6. G Barry
7. S Gerrard
8. F Lampard
9. W Rooney
10. E Heskey
11. A Lennon

Subs: James, Hart, Upson, King, Milner, Baines, Walcott, Beckham, Carrick, J Cole, Crouch, Defoe.

Cappello clearly favours Green and that's fine as there's no standout keeper, although if he has a mare you've got the experience of James. However, James will probably retire from international football after the tournament, so it will pay to have given Hart the experience of the trip.

I don't rate Brown, Warnock, Lescott, Ashley Young or Carlton Cole.

SWP, Agbonlahor and Zamora could count themselves unlucky.

If fit/available, Woodgate would be in for Upson, Carragher for King, Hargreaves for Carrick.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think you will find its Capello who wnats him to go not just me.

A quote from Harry in October..

King has never announced his retirement from international football and his club manager Harry Redknapp said last month that he would be the perfect cover for South Africa.

"He's special, that's why when he's fit I play him. He's desperate to play for England and he'd love to go to the World Cup.

"He'd be available; you're not going to weaken your team. If you're in a semi-final and you have a suspension you can bring him in, he's a fantastic player."

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Am I alone in not rating Green? for me it should be between Robbo and Hart, they have been the best English Keepers this year.

No, you're not alone.

Thought he could have done better with the goal last night. Didn't get his hand in the way! (although I might be being a little harsh)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
No, you're not alone.

Thought he could have done better with the goal last night. Didn't get his hand in the way! (although I might be being a little harsh)

Green would be my third choice keeper. I personally think Robinson and James are better.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Id like to see how much game time a 3rd and 4th choice england centre half actually got at a world cup in previous tournaments.
Id put my money on not much....no more than 2 games.

Lets face it if the likes of Upson and Jagielka for example have to play a significant amount of games at the World Cup we know were screwed. At least with either Carragher or King you stand half a chance.

We know now that form and playing regular for your club side really dosent matter like Capello said it did or Walcott wouldnt have started last night.

Id still take King and Carragher without hesitation if available

With Rio's fitness situation and the fact that players are much more likely to get sent off nowadays than they were before, if England were to go all the way if I was Capello I would assume my back up Centre Half would play at a minimum 90 minutes (not all necessarily in one game) in a tournament and at a maximum 7 games minus 1 minute (i.e an injury to a centre back in the 1st minute of the first game). You cannot take a man as a replacement that can only offer you one game, every 14 days.

I do agree the rest are not that appealing (and are not as good at the moment as a young King, but King is never going to be 100% again ever) but they have to not have the issues that King does with regarding to his potential availability.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
With Rio's fitness situation and the fact that players are much more likely to get sent off nowadays than they were before, if England were to go all the way if I was Capello I would assume my back up Centre Half would play at a minimum 90 minutes (not all necessarily in one game) in a tournament and at a maximum 7 games minus 1 minute (i.e an injury to a centre back in the 1st minute of the first game). You cannot take a man as a replacement that can only offer you one game, every 14 days.

I do agree the rest are not that appealing (and are not as good at the moment as a young King, but King is never going to be 100% again ever) but they have to not have the issues that King does with regarding to his potential availability.

I still think for a 1 off game which is all he would be needed for in my opinion its worth the risk.
If Cappello " is the one" as most of you seem to think, then i dont know why your all so anti his incluson as Capello clearly wants it to happen.
The more i think about it the more i actually think it makes sense and that Capello will go for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports