• No

Votes: 41 15.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 62 24.0%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think it's fair to say that his voice is a bit shit these days in comparison to what it was. Didn't he have some vocal nodes removed a decade or so ago? Used to have a brilliant range

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Churlishly gone for sometimes. When he is brilliant however, he really is brilliant. Elton is an undeniable British rock legend.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Still a genius composer and performer as far as I'm concerned. Even with the syrup and the dad-dancing.

It was a unique composing partnership. They supposedly wrote 20 songs together before they even met personally. The other unique aspect was Taupin wrote the lyrics with no idea of melody he just wrote the verse and would send complete lyrics which John would then compose the music to. They only composed together in person it seems a handful of times.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and Paul McCartney (to name but three) his best days are well behind him, but yes, in his day he was an immense talent. As a pianist I can mangle a few of his tunes, but there's lots of little licks he puts in which I always have to leave out! (Lack of talent).

Also, aside from his music, he was into football long before it became fashionable. And he supported his local, unglamorous club, not some big team, so he gets my respect for that.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I've seen him a few times, sometimes brilliant, other time poor (during the time he was mostly off his head I guess)

Some amazing music (Tiny Dancer my personal favourite) - some poor too - perhaps when he wasn't writing in combination with Bernie Taupin?

A British Rock legend - hugely talented and the amount of £££ he has raised for charity is amazing.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Stevie Wonder is great. Liking one doesn't preclude another.

Although hearing Reg murder Signed, Sealed, Delivered with his dreadful pub singer voice back when he was doing studio sessions for ToTPs type cover albums could upset fans of Stevie's. Personally, however much I love some of Stevie's stuff, I couldn't stop laughing long enough to be outraged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coGthP2VVAk

Elton John, unlike, fan of Enoch Powell, Rod Stewart seems like a decent bloke. He has his diva moments, but he has generally used his fame for good. I believe that the proceeds from all singles he has sold for the last few decades have gone to HIV charities. I know that he is a huge fan of all sorts of music and does more for newer artists than a lot of his peers. However, like Rod Stewart he has had a five decade plus career and produced only one or two songs that don't irritate the hell out of me. Its his constipated midwest accented nose singing, combined with Taupin's obscure, yet trite lyrics that turn me off.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Definitely talented - I'm not sure that can even be debated.

And sometimes - Your Song, Tiny Dancer, I'm Still Standing, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - brilliant.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I'd say all right, Elton.

- Hello, didn’t know you moved in.

Yeah, just moved in, last week. I’m having a barbecue, fancy coming over?

- I’d love to, do you mind if I bring my piano ?

I’d rather you didn’t, it’s not that kind of an evening. Do like Mini Kiev’s?

- I love them, but David's a vegetarian.

Doesn’t matter he can have fish.

- No, he won’t eat that either.

OH FORGET IT! You people!

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I love the song!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a youngster I played this double album over and over, from the Gothic wonder of Funeral for a Friend to the gentle pop of Harmony.....loved the haunting sadness of Candle in the Wind and I've Seen that Movie Too, loved the rockers Your Sister can't Twist, Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting and Grey Seal.... and was moved by the sadness of Roy Rogers and Sweet Painted Lady and laughed at Social Disease.....but, why oh why was that screeching rubbish ever on that album ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Elton John has some cracking tunes. I used to get drunk and play Benny and The Jets on the piano (badly), love that tune.

He does make a bit too much fuss about himself for my tastes but it’s quite nice having fabulous darlings out there.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'd say all right, Elton.

- Hello, didn’t know you moved in.

Yeah, just moved in, last week. I’m having a barbecue, fancy coming over?

- I’d love to, do you mind if I bring my piano ?

I’d rather you didn’t, it’s not that kind of an evening. Do like Mini Kiev’s?

- I love them, but David's a vegetarian.

Doesn’t matter he can have fish.

- No, he won’t eat that either.

OH FORGET IT! You people!

Lovely stuff.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Watched the rather splendid Rocketman tonight (Egerton - superb. Give it 10 years and he could be Bond material).

Now enjoying Elton's live Red Piano gig in Vegas on C4. I just think he's great.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Has had a significant impact on music. This is going to sound really wanky i know but my pretty limited piano improvisation is very influenced by his style (and that of Benny Anderson) due to growing up in the 70s/80s.

You can here both in many 90s music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here