Votes: 155 60.1%
  • No

Votes: 41 15.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 62 24.0%

• Total voters

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
He was very good. Performers that started often in the 70’s and are still going just have ‘it’ that special magic quality .

Ie Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow , Barbra Streisand etc

It was also nice of him to honour George Michael , rightfully acknowledging he was one of the greatest singer songwriters England has ever produced .

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Saw him at the Dome way back when he had hair! He was a showman back then but last night it was just hit after hit after hit. Sat down he obviously struggles to walk, noted this at the 'Elton meets Man City at airport' video where he stood still and the players came to him. And he skips the very high notes as well but you don't notice this. Sir Macca has lost his singing voice and struggles but Elton still has it.
Wifey was still up at 11:00 tapping her toes (lucky for me as I wanted the speaker system UP LOUD!)
As for the special guests, none of the expected ones, he kept it to people who needed the publicity of being on stage with him to aid them.
PS It is in UHD on the iplayer for those with new TV's.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I thought that was excellent. It's obviously catered around his age now, but i don't think that detracted and it was nice to see him promote new talent. Rocketman was brilliant.

It's a hell of a thing if an artists songs can ever emote - look at the audience there... all ages, everyone knowing the words. People crying their eyes out because the songs mean something to them, people getting engaged.

Notice a few people talk about autocue... he must have written thousands of songs in his life - surely better that he delivers the performance amazingly rather than proving that he can remember everything.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought that was excellent. It's obviously catered around his age now, but i don't think that detracted and it was nice to see him promote new talent. Rocketman was brilliant.

It's a hell of a thing if an artists songs can ever emote - look at the audience there... all ages, everyone knowing the words. People crying their eyes out because the songs mean something to them, people getting engaged.

Notice a few people talk about autocue... he must have written thousands of songs in his life - surely better that he delivers the performance amazingly rather than proving that he can remember everything.
Whilst playing the piano, without any sheet music, and improvising during bridges.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Saw him at the Dome way back when he had hair! He was a showman back then but last night it was just hit after hit after hit. Sat down he obviously struggles to walk, noted this at the 'Elton meets Man City at airport' video where he stood still and the players came to him. And he skips the very high notes as well but you don't notice this. Sir Macca has lost his singing voice and struggles but Elton still has it.
Wifey was still up at 11:00 tapping her toes (lucky for me as I wanted the speaker system UP LOUD!)
As for the special guests, none of the expected ones, he kept it to people who needed the publicity of being on stage with him to aid them.
PS It is in UHD on the iplayer for those with new TV's.
Was that the concert where it was just him and the nutty arm waving bald drummer whose name escapes me? If so I agree he was brilliant on the night. Must say I MUCH prefer him when he’s not trying to be a rocker.

His voice was brilliant before he had the throat operation which severely limited his range

I haven’t seen last night’s performance yet, will watch on Iplayer later. Looking forward to it given the reviews. Too many of my heroes are absolute shite now and well past their sell by date, I was worried this might be another as I have not been impressed on stuff I’ve seen him doing for decades now.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Was that the concert where it was just him and the nutty arm waving bald drummer whose name escapes me? If so I agree he was brilliant on the night. Must say I MUCH prefer him when he’s not trying to be a rocker.

His voice was brilliant before he had the throat operation which severely limited his range

I haven’t seen last night’s performance yet, will watch on Iplayer later. Looking forward to it given the reviews. Too many of my heroes are absolute shite now and well past their sell by date, I was worried this might be another as I have not been impressed on stuff I’ve seen him doing for decades now.
Ray Cooper, still with him (since 1969 ffs!)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
How can a guy with all that cash not get a decent wig? It's almost like he's purposely taking the piss, or to very badly paraphrase Mickey Flanagan on wigs: 'You and I are going to conspire in the belief that that is a real head of hair' (someone must know the actual quote)

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
He failed to enunciate a single word and shouted like Vic Reeves pub singer. The crowd seemed happy though. Had noticed also the Glastonbury crowd has changed over the years, it looked like 20,000 stag and hen does.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It was a 10 out of 10. For me his singing was poweful, the best he has been in years. Will be tough / impossible to top that next year or many years after

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Fantastic to see him back. He might have a dodgy barnet, but he's a legend and could be included in that list of things that make you smile just from existing. Not just talented, but a fantastic human being who will be an asset even after his retirement.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Fantastic to see him back. He might have a dodgy barnet, but he's a legend and could be included in that list of things that make you smile just from existing. Not just talented, but a fantastic human being who will be an asset even after his retirement.
Oops, no sorry. Of course not, he's a terrible old pub singer.

My post was meant for the Calderon thread. ;)

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Who cares what he wears on his head, who cares if he's not as mobile as he was, who cares if he wears a skirt and a boob tube, I thought (and it's my opinion) that he was fantastic last night. Captain Fantastic.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Respect to the guy - yes, his voice isn't what it was and some of the high notes were swerved, but what a back catalogue. And has been said, it's quite something to see he's still got the core of his main band after more than 50 years – drummer Nigel Olsson, guitarist Davey Johnstone and percussionist Ray 'Manic' Cooper, all rocking on well into their 70s. Genuine legend, and a great festival closer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ray Cooper, still with him (since 1969 ffs!)
Also the drummer and lead guitar, Olson and Johnstone been with him for decades.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here