• No

Votes: 41 15.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 62 24.0%

• Total voters

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If it was targeted for young people with young bands and no glamping , old people wouldn’t want to go.
What’s wrong with that ?
Which self respecting 18yo wants to bump
Into their mum at a music festival ?
I’m talking about a general principle in an ideal would though .
You are right - there are plenty of edgier events for younguns.
I guess I just see the takeover of big festivals by the monied as a bit sad.
Elton John predominantly cheered on by people my parents age - a bit sad .

Stato has put it pretty well, above
The cold hard reality of it, is its the biggest festival in the UK and one of in the world. I read there were 120k there yesterday and tix were £350 for this year's festival.

That's over £43m before costs etc.....

would any of us choose to write off more than half of that to appeal to a smaller demographic but remain edgier!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Glastonbury started in 1970 which was my generation, and my generation has kept up with it.
Let the youngsters see their idols at the edgier festivals and build them up. Let them save up for tickets all year round so they can afford to go.
Btw, I saw quite a few youngsters in the sets I watched on tv.
Fair enough, but it's not just Glastonbury that's unaffordable for a lot of the young is it? Not easy to save up your spare income if it's all going on rent for your housing - collected by the people who can afford the tickets without a moment's consideration.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fair enough, but it's not just Glastonbury that's unaffordable for a lot of the young is it? Not easy to save up your spare income if it's all going on rent for your housing - collected by the people who can afford the tickets without a moment's consideration.
The young people are still living at home with their parents. I know several in their early 20s working and still at home.
They have more disposable income than the old folk. £350 is less than £30 a month to save up.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The young people are still living at home with their parents. I know several in their early 20s working and still at home.
They have more disposable income than the old folk. £350 is less than £30 a month to save up.
Please understand that my complaint is against the rich. These are not old hippies who've been going every year to Glastonbury since the seventies, these are the Henley and Ascot crowd adding glamping at Glasto to the list of places to be seen.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The cold hard reality of it, is its the biggest festival in the UK and one of in the world. I read there were 120k there yesterday and tix were £350 for this year's festival.

That's over £43m before costs etc.....

would any of us choose to write off more than half of that to appeal to a smaller demographic but remain edgier!
Go to Reading instead, have a few fights and wait for someone to set fire to your tent.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That’s not a good thing according to young people.

If they have disposable income then they can save for a house

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
If you can't afford Glastonbury you can work there for your ticket price (I did 4 festivals on the recycling team because the festival and ad-ons became too expensive).
It's certainly gone more mainstream since Emily took over (some would say blander) but to say Glastonbury is no longer "edgy" is only something someone who has only ever watched it on tv would say!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Next year Taylor Swift is expected. Now, I'm not a huge fan, but my kids and half of their generation would walk over hot coals to see her live. They'll have little chance of affording or getting a ticket, because it'll be swamped with rich old gits who will know none of her songs
But no-one should be going to Glastonbury to see one act. That's not the point at all! And it's why tickets are on sale before the headliners are (usually) known.

Also, TS is literally touring the UK, so kids have plenty of chances to see her. She operates a 'fan first' system, giving ticket priority to those who buy her music and merch. Won't be many oldies crashing those gigs.

Can't deny the Glastonbury demographic is getting older though. Blame BBC coverage and good weather for that. Needs a few years of rain to shake off the tourists...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It did for me. He seemed well past his best to me so I'm surprised by the reaction on this thread. I'm glad people enjoyed the set and he got the send off his career deserved.
Are you surprised by the unanimous 5* reviews from the mainstream and music press? Rolling Stone, NME, The Guardian, BBC, The Independent, The Times, The Telegraph, etc?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Go to Reading instead, have a few fights and wait for someone to set fire to your tent.
Or.....walk a fairly short distance to the Fox and Hounds in Caversham, Reading and pay homage to the Nerk Twins, who debuted there in 1960 and went on to slightly better things ( blue plaque on wall tells you all )

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
It says everything about modern day Glastonbury that Elton John headlined.
Good if you’re rich and old, bad if you’re young and not rich.
Glastonbury should be a rite of passage for young people, not their parents.
The problem is most of the young bands and singers are not very good nowadays . It’s the older ones that have the real talent .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here