Do you belong to a Trades Union?

• Yes

Votes: 84 57.5%
  • No

Votes: 62 42.5%

• Total voters

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Bounced from page 5. Looks like a clear majority for Trade Union membership so far. So we're not all "Thatcher's Children"! We're launching a membership drive in our office next week over 4 weeks with a modest initial target of 100 new members out of 400 yet to join. About 1000 work here. PCS ! :thumbsup: :rave:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Looks like a clear majority for Trade Union membership so far.

just like a union to call a "clear majority" when only 10% have voted :p

(sorry, couldnt resist.)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No I am not, but well done to all of you who are. I've not had a pay rise of any sort for over 5 years, but I guess that I work in a world where if my employer cannot afford to pay us more then we all get over it and crack on, understanding that sometimes you can't get what you want, in the expectation that when the markets pick up we'll be rewarded accordingly.

But for this of you in a union, who use membership as a bargaining tool simply to get more money, good on yer. I doubt there are many 'brothers' who see membership as a means to anything else.

Mmmm...

Worth remembering that there are also "directors clubs" that are there for the mutual benefit of the members. Just because they aren't called "Unions" doesn't mean they aren't.

There are many who like to have a good old moan up about Unions and tend stick to members like me when they might actually need their help or advice.

Personally, I've been paying in for years and am currently watching other non-members get the benefit of my unions negotiation.

Not that I care, I never joined the Union for what it could do for me personally, that's not the point.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Why do people join trade unions? and are there actually any benefits or is it just what everyone does in their industry so they have to?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
We have just had a round of redundancies - the Unions were actively involved in ensuring that the correct practice was followed and that people got the packages they were entitled to. They also negotiated a pay rise for us this year (first in three years) when the College could quite easily have used the current climate to stop this. They made sure that changes to contracts were legal and realistic, and that changes within working practices that were already supported by contracts were carried out rationally. I spent a long time in a job which did not allow a Union, but we had a structure which worked - to a point. I always said that I would never join a Union, but for my own protection I have to have their backing, and having seen what they can achieve I would support them. That said, they work in tandem with the College I work at, and not in opposition to, we are kept exceptionally well informed so I suppose I am lucky in that respect.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Why do people join trade unions? and are there actually any benefits or is it just what everyone does in their industry so they have to?

Yes, there is, not all Trade Unions are like the one that BA Cabin staff belong to. Some actually try to look after the interests of their members to stop them being abused and exploited. However others like to hold their employers and customers to ransom and in fact some will try and stop the entire country. However in so doing some of them cost their members' their livelihoods, dockers, miners and printers for example.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
They may not be ideal by my 3 lads all work for employers who have weak or no union and they are treated like dirt.

I'm really amazed at some of the things that are done, like moving staff without discussion, changing shifts, hours or holidays or making staff drive longer than the permitted hours and without legal breaks. The standard response is, if you don't like it then leave because somebody else will take the job.

As a trade union branch officer, I twice had to intervene to prevent someone (the same individual on both occasions) getting sacked for nothing more than the fact that his manager didn't get on with him.

Winning those two appeals against what would have been unfair (and, therefore, unlawful) dismissals were among the most satisfying moments I experienced in the world of work.

There are some very bad managers in local government, promoted to a management role only because they are competent at the technical side of their job, but they are USELESS at managing people or understanding the difference between what's right and what's wrong. Most individuals find things extremely difficult when they are managed by such people. That's why trade union membership is important.

And I'm sure the same is true in private sector companies.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I used to be in the PCS but left after being a member for 7 years on account of the actions of the far left leadership who had more interest in their own political ambitions than members. Would consider rejoining if the leadership was less militant as I think unions have a great role in the workplace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here