Votes: 62 42.5%

• Total voters

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
And if so, which one?

Who are the Brothers and Sisters on NSC?

For the record - me, no.

Oh, and for the purposes of this thread Students Unions don't count.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Yes, Unite, formerly Amicus, formerly AEEU

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not allowed to, it's against the LAW:wrong:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Not at the moment. There has been an attempt over here to get the clergy into a union. If we ever vote in favour, which I think is unlikely, we would become members of the Canadian Auto Workers union. :shrug:

Here it is either closed shop or nothing.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm not, but I may well become a member of BECTU if/when I get made permanent staff where I currently work. At the moment, on a fixed-term contract, threatening to strike probably isn't the wisest idea.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes , GMB - 3 years and previously a member of the CWU (was UCW) - 22+ years.

Unison, formerly Amicus. Not entirely sure why as I am the sole employee of my organisation and belong to another professional body that I suspect would better protect my interests. Probabaly just never get round to cancelling the DD.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
ASLEF, albeit a retired member

I owe my career as a manager in local government to the fact that I had been a trade union activist - convenor of a stewards' committee for the East Sussex branch of NALGO.

My then boss, the County Engineer (who hated the unions, incidentally), promoted me to the position of service manager on the grounds that he wanted someone in the job who would take no shit from contractors. His thinking (or at least this is what he told me) was that if I could stand up to the contractors the way I had stood up to the management in the County Planning Department, he'd be very happy.

I took the job offer, but stuck with my trade union activities as well - eventually ending up as leader of the staff side (representing managers across ESCC) in the negotiations that we had with our employers. One high spot of that period was when the County Personnel Officer got sacked, because councillors (the employers) realised that she was being completely unreasonable in the way she conducted the employers' side of the negotiations over a restructuring of managers' employment contracts.

Another high spot was a party at NALGO headquarters when John Prescott and I got pissed together, over vast quantities of free beer. But that was before he became Deputy Prime Minister.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here