Votes: 62 42.5%

• Total voters

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
yes.
was steward, then convener of AUEW which changed to AEU then AEEU. (i think in that order) for 9 years

now a member of GMBU

Market Porter

Or The Globe
Feb 14, 2008
South Walk
Unison, I think, I'd have to check as it's constantly changing names and merging just to keep the membership up. I originally joined NATSOPA or something similar, you had to be in the union, proposed by someone who knew you, to get a job.

I became the deputy father of the chapel when it was SOGAT 82 and then got on the 'gravy train' of senior union members poached for management roles. Our company obviously valued the union's training.

I've never cancelled my membership but it felt a bit odd visiting ACAS and sitting on both union and management sides in less than a month! I believe at one point that our companies' HR team were all card carrying labour unionists, poachers turned gamekeepers.

Power to the people, as long as my career and salary aren't affected comrade. :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I used to be with the GMB, but I left the union (controversially) when they started petitioning for strike action, despite it not being in the best interests of anyone involved. They were over stepping their boundaries and were becoming a nuisance, rather than doing what they should be doing, uniting everyone.

I work for a different company now, with no union activity at all. Which is why a day before the World Cup started, our opening hours were extended to 10pm monday-saturday and an extra HOUR AND A HALF, to close 7:30 on sundays. Had we had a union, maybe that sunday nonsense could have been avoided. And now they're keeping the late close on a sunday on in certain shops, certainly if we had a union that would be looked at and, probably, changed back to something more acceptable.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
TSSA and my insurance against unfair dismissal or made redundancy.

Well worth every penny as well.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Unite, formerly Amicus. Joined when HSBC were trying to shaft their employees at Haywards Heath (insurance arm) by enforcing a 5% pay cut at at time when they were making massive profits.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Have been a member of PCS and its predecessor CPSA for 23 years since I started in the civil service in 1987. Been a union rep and activist for 20 years and am a PCS national lay official and national Trade Union Side negotiator in the CSA/CMEC.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
I was but now a manager so not.
Why does being a manager mean you shouldn't be a trade union member? Like Lord B I was promoted to a management grade, not despite being a TU member, but as a result of developing skills through being a TU rep and activist. Trade Unions offer protection to employees regardless of their grade. They can act as your ìnsurance policy against a bad employer. We all need help, advice and support at some point in our working lives. Do yourself a favour and sign up. :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not allowed to, it's against the LAW:wrong:

not a member of the Police Federation? i've never really understood the difference, other than the wording.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yes, CWU, 26 years. Former Branch officer and activist in Brighton in the 1990's

ATL for me, seem ok tbh, sorted out a sticky timetabling issue last year which much impressed me as having been a chef for twenty years prior to teaching, you did as you were told or you got the chicken bhuna!!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Why does being a manager mean you shouldn't be a trade union member? Like Lord B I was promoted to a management grade, not despite being a TU member, but as a result of developing skills through being a TU rep and activist. Trade Unions offer protection to employees regardless of their grade. They can act as your ìnsurance policy against a bad employer. We all need help, advice and support at some point in our working lives. Do yourself a favour and sign up. :thumbsup:

I agree with that especially with the planned cuts and I've been on strike several times in support of PCS. I am a middle manager and there are too many seniors so the organisation is effectively the shape of an inverted triangle.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

Absolutely. I am a manage a large department and am a Prospect member. I also encourage my staff to join a union.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I belonged to one briefly when I worked in Liverpool, the one time I needed help from them they were utterly useless.

I am a member of arguably one the most powerful unions in the country today, the CWU. I was previously in the NCU and then we merged with the UCW.
I am Sub Divisional Rep at Gatwick Mail Centre, representing engineers.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I am a member of arguably one the most powerful unions in the country today, the CWU. I was previously in the NCU and then we merged with the UCW.
I am Sub Divisional Rep at Gatwick Mail Centre, representing engineers.

It's great to have that 'muscle', but it MUST be used responsibly at all times.
I would also argue that ASLEF is equally powerful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here