Dark Star missing from now on.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Are you really sure about this? Which pub do you work in?

I'm certain about this in my experience and in my pub. That's not to say that the above applies to ALL Harveys drinkers. For me personally it's a pretty bog standard beer that lacks taste and there is so much better out there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It seems to me that the club gave Harveys a massive advantage over dark Star.

Not true. Both were given equal opportunity but Dark Star, for whatever reason, were very slow in getting set up and Harveys were not and took advantage.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Questions, when you say "quality" dont you really mean "taste"? you mention the APA, its not a taste for everyone. Darkstar have a penchant for the Cascade and other american hops, which isnt what everyone likes.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
From what I understand Dark Star weren't prepared to work the way the club asked them to due to the fact they thought it would affect quality.

Clearly Harveys don't care and it's all about sales for them which shows in the quality of their product served up in the stands.

Shame as I haven't had a bad pint of nobhead when it's been on. Certainly can't say the same about Harveys which is why I haven't had a pint of it for about a year.

Right decision from Dark Star IMO.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Absolutely, I mostly like everything that Dark Star puts out, especially the saison (usually available around March time I think) The reason I personally think Harveys is so popular is because it's following drink Harveys and Harveys alone. I work in a pub and we sell about 4 18 Gallon Barrels a week, if for one reason or another we run out of Harveys the locals who drink it rather than trying one of the guest ales will almost exclusively then move on to lager.

Darkstar beers are awesome. Thy did one in conjuction with another Brewery called Rockstar which was based om an American style Brown ale. One of the best ales to ever pass my lips.

Harveys is ok but it's all pretty generic bitter. Armada is nice.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
From what I understand Dark Star weren't prepared to work the way the club asked them to due to the fact they thought it would affect quality.

Clearly Harveys don't care and it's all about sales for them which shows in the quality of their product served up in the stands.

Shame as I haven't had a bad pint of nobhead when it's been on. Certainly can't say the same about Harveys which is why I haven't had a pint of it for about a year.

Right decision from Dark Star IMO.

I believe it was already, the Hophead never tasted as good at the Amex as it does usually.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I believe it was already, the Hophead never tasted as good at the Amex as it does usually.

Real ale at a football ground is never going to be any good especially given the folks serving it up and the fact it comes in a plastic bag. That said the few times I had hophead in the WSU it was drinkable. Which was more than can be said than some of the Harveys I had at the start of last season.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have been off alcohol for 12 days now, so I can't remember what it tastes like.......:ohmy:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think you are being overly hard on Harvey's. I agree Dark Star produce great beer, but Harvey's is not deserving of the wrath you bring down on them. Save your ire for John Smiths.

Ok I take your point. Did you know that it is the top selling beer in the country - that is in the supermarkets - incredible isn't it ?
My future son in law has never drunk proper beer so I have a blank canvass to work on. He drunk half my APA at Xmas from the minipin and I was pleased he fell in love with it but then I thought.........

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We should have built a micro brewery in the Amex what name would you give to the Beer.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ok I take your point. Did you know that it is the top selling beer in the country - that is in the supermarkets - incredible isn't it ?
My future son in law has never drunk proper beer so I have a blank canvass to work on. He drunk half my APA at Xmas from the minipin and I was pleased he fell in love with it but then I thought.........

At this stage in his drinking career he won't be putting to much of a dent in your stocks, get him onboard now for when you are old and infirm and he can do the leg work then and you can be the sponge !

Kempo

Nov 3, 2012
They certainly need to get more organised. They ran out of Harvey's from the portable bar near me at half time yesterday just as a stream of people came to get a pint! why wouldn't you check 10 minutes before half time whether your cask was empty?? Pretty poor. I'm with all of you on Hophead, that's a great pint and it's a real shame. The barman said they were serving it on the East lower concourse though - is that right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports