Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dark Star missing from now on.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Thatchers Gold on draught is magnificent. Although I prefer the stronger bottled stuff like Katy, draught gold is a great pint for football.
Went to the Bolton game with 2 others, I was looking forward to drinking Dark Star as I had heard much about it on here and to be honest none of us liked it, Harveys was better but not that impressed.

Honestly, not because I live in the SW but I am a Doom Bar man and thankfully one of the pubs at the station ( forgotten which one) sells Doom Bar and I had more than my fill.

By the way, next time you are in M&S pick up a bottle of Sussex Golden Ale brewed by Hepworths in Horsham, it was absolutely delicious, dont know if it is made only for M&S.

You’ll be upsetting all the CAMRA folk on here as Doom Bar sold out to one of the bad guys - Molson Coors

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Hophead is one of eight Dark Star Permanent Beers. Maybe the club should try some guest beers or other Dark Star varieties.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The man should have been burnt on a stake at the Carfax for such blasphemy. Draught Festive was the beer of the gods.

Brings back memories of my youth. Started drinking in the Dog & Bacon, got a drink on my 18th from the landlord.........i'd been drinking in their for a good year by that time!!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You’ll be upsetting all the CAMRA folk on here as Doom Bar sold out to one of the bad guys - Molson Coors

I was more worried about upsetting the Harveys folk on here by saying that I thought it was just OK, do not know the history of Doom Bar, Molson Coors, thats the Canadian lot isn't it? or are they American.
years ago I used to quite like Rolling Rock, don't see that in the shops anymore.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The man should have been burnt on a stake at the Carfax for such blasphemy. Draught Festive was the beer of the gods.

Coincidentally I am sat here drinking WJ Kings Festival ale on draught which is as close to the original K&B Festive as you can get and very pleasant it is too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
interesting prejudice. what is it with the anti-Harveys? preference between Hophead and Sussex Best is down to personal taste, they aren't really similar enough to compare directly. you talk about the stable and they are both pretty varied and cover much the same ground in their own way, though Darkstar insist on the citrusy new world hops. "one trick" suggests you've not ventured beyond the Best?

It has been said on here that Harvey's capacity is about 90% geared to just brewing Best, difficult to find anything else other than their one trick. Did have a couple of hours with friends in the Harveys pub in Trafalgar St a while back, several "Different " Harveys were sampled but they could all have come from the same barrel.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Did have a couple of hours with friends in the Harveys pub in Trafalgar St a while back, several "Different " Harveys were sampled but they could all have come from the same barrel.

really? i know their bottled IPA and Blue Lable are near the same as the Best, but the staple draght alternative Armarda is quite different (nicer imo), and the Old is very different. the seasonal Tom Paine, Olympia and George dragon all different again. on the other hand i find oddly the Evening Star doesnt like to do more than Hophead +1 so only tried a few, Partridge, Old (very nice), American Pale ("bigger" version of hophead) and Seville (awful). elsewhere only seems to do Hophead, same as Sussex best is standard, though im a recent convert to ales i have missed others. bit of a draw for me personally, though i count on their website Darkstar 13 - 20 Harveys.

all said i think we should be quite chuffed we have two local popular breweries plus the smaller ones.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It has been said on here that Harvey's capacity is about 90% geared to just brewing Best, difficult to find anything else other than their one trick. Did have a couple of hours with friends in the Harveys pub in Trafalgar St a while back, several "Different " Harveys were sampled but they could all have come from the same barrel.

Harveys microbrewery is opening later this year. Dark Star beers all taste of sickly, citrusy american hops, because that's what they're made of. Harveys use local hops. Just depends what you like though really.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
really? i know their bottled IPA and Blue Lable are near the same as the Best, but the staple draght alternative Armarda is quite different (nicer imo), and the Old is very different. the seasonal Tom Paine, Olympia and George dragon all different again. on the other hand i find oddly the Evening Star doesnt like to do more than Hophead +1 so only tried a few, Partridge, Old (very nice), American Pale ("bigger" version of hophead) and Seville (awful). elsewhere only seems to do Hophead, same as Sussex best is standard, though im a recent convert to ales i have missed others. bit of a draw for me personally, though i count on their website Darkstar 13 - 20 Harveys.

all said i think we should be quite chuffed we have two local popular breweries plus the smaller ones.

Have to agree on this, to say all Harvey's taste as if from the same barrel is pure bull no matter whether you love it or hate it, it is clear that they have a number of beers which are very much different. Dark Star is very much a growing concern currently with 8 permanent beers and 8 seasonal brews plus some bottle only beers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Dark Star do a much wider range than their website suggests, some brews are seasonal and some seem to just appear and disappear forever but, they are constantly trying new brews which is so much more interesting than sticking with one. Some notable other beers from Dark Star are, Saisson (cloudy wheat beer type ),The Art of Darkness ( new brown ale),Solstice,Meltdown,Milk Chocolate Stout, Festival ( tribute to K&B Festive ) Porter, Critical Mass and Expresso and there is a bottle only, Imperial Russian Stout.There's a few to be getting on with, I'm sure there are others.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There's a few to be getting on with, I'm sure there are others.

funny thing is i think each of those mentioned has a analogue in the Harveys range over the seasons and bottle. must confess, i didnt scroll all the way down for some reason, looks likes theres 20 altogether on the Darkstar side. draw then (unless you want to count the missing Seville, which was a mistake unless you like drinking washing up liquid)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dark Star do a much wider range than their website suggests, some brews are seasonal and some seem to just appear and disappear forever but, they are constantly trying new brews which is so much more interesting than sticking with one. Some notable other beers from Dark Star are, Saisson (cloudy wheat beer type ),The Art of Darkness ( new brown ale),Solstice,Meltdown,Milk Chocolate Stout, Festival ( tribute to K&B Festive ) Porter, Critical Mass and Expresso and there is a bottle only, Imperial Russian Stout.There's a few to be getting on with, I'm sure there are others.

It is a shame that it looks like Dark Star are being edged out but please don't compare Harvey's to DS when it comes to quality beer. If your only experience of Dark Star is the Hophead in the ground then you are not that interested in the brews of the best Sussex brewery. There are other breweries in Sussex knocking Harvey's into a cocked hat.
It's all about product loyalty with Harvey's.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Dark Star was available as a pie and pint option I'd choose it every time. Seems like bad timing as theyve just increased their brewing capacity significantly. I hope the club will introduce it as an alternative to Harveys at the main kiosks.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It is a shame that it looks like Dark Star are being edged out but please don't compare Harvey's to DS when it comes to quality beer. If your only experience of Dark Star is the Hophead in the ground then you are not that interested in the brews of the best Sussex brewery. There are other breweries in Sussex knocking Harvey's into a cocked hat.
It's all about product loyalty with Harvey's.

Just to add that Harvey's best is a ordinary bog standard brew that although did well at the Nationals a few years back is just that a best.Brewing has moved on and all the new micro breweries have raised the bar leaving old dogs like Harveys a mile behind. It served its purpose during the bad old days but has nothing new or innovative to offer people who have sampled better. The reason they will have the monopoly at the Amex has nothing to do with their quality. Oh well I,ll stay in the Albert or the Evening Star for that extra pint. I know Harvey's do other beers but they are all average at best. When they can make a beer like APA , Sussex Stout, the Original or any of DS's seasonal s give me a shout.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Just to add that Harvey's best is a ordinary bog standard brew that although did well at the Nationals a few years back is just that a best.Brewing has moved on and all the new micro breweries have raised the bar leaving old dogs like Harveys a mile behind. It served its purpose during the bad old days but has nothing new or innovative to offer people who have sampled better. The reason they will have the monopoly at the Amex has nothing to do with their quality. Oh well I,ll stay in the Albert or the Evening Star for that extra pint. I know Harvey's do other beers but they are all average at best. When they can make a beer like APA , Sussex Stout, the Original or any of DS's seasonal s give me a shout.

Absolutely, I mostly like everything that Dark Star puts out, especially the saison (usually available around March time I think) The reason I personally think Harveys is so popular is because it's following drink Harveys and Harveys alone. I work in a pub and we sell about 4 18 Gallon Barrels a week, if for one reason or another we run out of Harveys the locals who drink it rather than trying one of the guest ales will almost exclusively then move on to lager.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I think you are being overly hard on Harvey's. I agree Dark Star produce great beer, but Harvey's is not deserving of the wrath you bring down on them. Save your ire for John Smiths.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Absolutely, I mostly like everything that Dark Star puts out, especially the saison (usually available around March time I think) The reason I personally think Harveys is so popular is because it's following drink Harveys and Harveys alone. I work in a pub and we sell about 4 18 Gallon Barrels a week, if for one reason or another we run out of Harveys the locals who drink it rather than trying one of the guest ales will almost exclusively then move on to lager.

Are you really sure about this? Which pub do you work in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here