[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If it's money, he'll go. If youth identification and development is his thinking, why go to Newcastle? Plenty of others could identify the hasbeens, maybe's and moneygrabbers that they will be looking at before Smug Eddie takes them down to the Championship. Not a lot of job satisfaction for him there.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes but think about it. Newcastle are the richest team in the league. They could offer bissouma 250k a week without blinking. While they are still an unattractive prospect for big boys to join you will probably see some eye watering deals going through.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Yeh, they could do that whether Ashworth goes there or not. It makes no difference.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Because he might say " yes pay them what they are asking because signing Dunk might be the difference between staying up and not staying up."

Seriously ?

They would need Dan Ashworth to tell them someone who has played over 100 PL games is good enough ?

Brilliant… I’ll have some of what your on please

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Apart from Sanchez, Lamptey becoming key first team players at 21 & 24. Richards having a few PL appearances, a U23 team that has really kicked on in the U23 PL, a WSL team that has gone from relegation fodder to Top 4/6 team .....

He was also part of the team that oversaw a transition from one of the oldest squads in the PL to one of the youngest in fairly quick time without any detriment

Oh and having many players out on loan in the EFL, top flight European leagues (more so than we have ever had)

It's very early days in his tenure as technical director. The young players we have in the senior side are exciting prospects but apart from Sanchez who you named, who was a youth player long before Dan arrived I'm sure you realise, we are yet to see anyone feature permanently who has come through on his watch yet.

Lamptey was a product of Chelsea's academy but somewhat of a coup in terms of transfer.

I would be surprised if Dan Ashworth left after such a short term with us.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think they learned that lesson with the Colin Calderwood to Villa episode.

In saying that. They blocked Dale Stephens move to Brighton when he wanted to speak to them that year when Brighton missed out on Promotion.

Andd when Dunk wanted to go to West Brom they blocked that and gave him a massively improved contract.

Players are different though, Stephens would have been able to talk to Burnley had they offered a transfer fee we considered too good to turn down. Our policy on players is clear in that respect.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Seriously ?

They would need Dan Ashworth to tell them someone who has played over 100 PL games is good enough ?

I agree with NOO ... Ashworth going to someone like Newcastle is damaging for us. For whatever reason some of our players are still criminally underrated at this level (like dunk). Ashworth knows better than anyone. He will definitely be looking at some of our best players thinking he can get a bargain.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Seriously ?

These Clubs might have 4 different players that they are targeting for a certain position. All it would take is for someone to say. Forget those other three and go all in and pay what Brighton would want for Dunk because they think he could potentially keep them up

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I agree with NOO ... Ashworth going to someone like Newcastle is damaging for us. For whatever reason some of our players are still criminally underrated at this level (like dunk). Ashworth knows better than anyone. He will definitely be looking at some of our best players thinking he can get a bargain.

It is a loss

Don’t get me wrong

I just think people are looking at the wrong players we stand to lose.

It wont be a Dunk or a Bissouma, they aren’t under the radar anymore and I doubt Ashworth knows any more about these players than these clubs don’t already.

The players I’d be concerned about are the Khedra, Van Hecke, Ferguson etc who clubs might not know enough about and could be convinced to make the move.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
These Clubs might have 4 different players that they are targeting for a certain position. All it would take is for someone to say. Forget those other three and go all in and pay what Brighton would want for Dunk because they think he could potentially keep them up

Clubs already know enough about Dunk

Ashworth will have no more info or better opinion than anyone on the Newcastle scouting staff.

In fact he would also know that the club wouldn’t listen to any offers from Newcastle and that Dunk has recently said he loves it here and doubt he would want to drop into the Champ even if it was for just one season

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It is a loss

Don’t get me wrong

I just think people are looking at the wrong players we stand to lose.

It wont be a Dunk or a Bissouma, they aren’t under the radar anymore and I doubt Ashworth knows any more about these players than these clubs don’t already.

The players I’d be concerned about are the Khedra, Van Hecke, Ferguson etc who clubs might not know enough about and could be convinced to make the move.

Don't Newcastle U23s play in a lower division than Brighton U23s ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Ashworth will have no more info or better opinion than anyone on the Newcastle scouting staff.

In fact he would also know that the club wouldn’t listen to any offers from Newcastle and that Dunk has recently said he loves it here and doubt he would want to drop into the Champ even if it was for just one season

Lewis Dunk would 100% go for the right money

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Plus, if you do go to Newcastle, just like Eddie, you are a stop gap, possibly two seasons at the most and you will be upgraded.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The pull on the players, in the upcoming window at least, isn’t that strong with the very real prospect of Championship football for Toon next season.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Lewis Dunk would 100% go for the right money

I'm not convinced he would, he's already set for life as club captain of his home town team, a club he has played for since a kid, he's not turning his back on that when there is a good chance Newcastle will be playing Championship football next season.

I'm certainly not convinced Tony Bloom would ever sell him to them anyway, not unless a staggering amount of money was offered, and even though Newcastle can offer that much money they wouldn't for a 30 year old centre back when they can offer that same staggering money for someone younger.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Surely we're not SERIOUSLY thinking that Lewis Dunk - club captain, talisman, local lad made good, etc - would be allowed to leave part-way through the season, to go to a "relegation rival"????

I don't say that for sure the club would let him go. But I do say that Lewis himself would if the money was right. I know what his attitude in the past has been when other clubs have come in for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports