Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'm not convinced he would. And i'm certainly not convinced Tony Bloom would ever sell him to them anyway, not unless a staggering amount of money was offered, and even though Newcastle can offer that much money they wouldn't for a 30 year old centre back when they can offer that same staggering money for someone younger.

Like Lamptey :tantrum:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm not convinced he would, he's already set for life as club captain of his home town team, a club he has played for since a kid, he's not turning his back on that when there is a good chance Newcastle will be playing Championship football next season.

I'm certainly not convinced Tony Bloom would ever sell him to them anyway, not unless a staggering amount of money was offered, and even though Newcastle can offer that much money they wouldn't for a 30 year old centre back when they can offer that same staggering money for someone younger.
1) Newcastle could double Lewis dunks salary with ease. They could triple it with ease and they wouldn't even think twice.

2) dunk would definitely leave he would be stupid not to. Life as a footballer is short.

3) Tony bloom would definitely not let dunk go mid season, unless it was ridiculous money like 60m... So I suspect this move is unlikely to happen !!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The only irreplaceable man at the club, is Mr. Tony Bloom.

When the club gained promotion from League 1 to the Championship, neither Ashworth or Potter were there. Mr. Tony Bloom was.

When the club gained promotion to the Premier League, neither Ashworth or Potter were there. Mr. Tony Bloom was.

Absolutely spot on.

No one employee is bigger than Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club; not Barber, Potter or Bissouma and certainly not Ashworth. And Mr Tony is the only owner we want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Calm down. We sold our 3rd best centre back last summer for 50m, so we can rest assured that if we do accept any transfer offers for our players in January, they are going to be for staggering amounts of cash.
Not sure about our third best CB we clearly miss BW.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think they learned that lesson with the Colin Calderwood to Villa episode.

In saying that. They blocked Dale Stephens move to Burnley when he wanted to speak to them that year when Brighton missed out on Promotion.

Andd when Dunk wanted to go to West Brom they blocked that and gave him a massively improved contract.

When was that? I knew it happened with Fulham but not WBA?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Firstly, he isn’t gone yet, although I expect the chances he’ll go are probably greater than 50%. However he is one of a number of candidates. He might just go and have a chat and we then get info on what a competitors plans are. I know examples of that before.
If he does go then the compensation will probably cover the salary we’ve paid him since he’s been here so we will have got his services for next to nothing and he did being Lamptey to us for £3/4m and he must be worth £50m.
It’s Bloom’s policy not to block moves for senior employees. He let Ben White go for the right price as well and will then reinvest.
The loss of a senior employee is always a blow but it’s also a potential opportunity and we’ll have a short list of potential replacements that would bring their own black book of contacts.
If he goes and targets any of our players as transfer targets then we’ll hold out and get top price.
So it’s no irreversible loss. A short term blow, of course but we have the management structure in place to cope with it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Webster and Dunk are better as out and out centre backs. Ben White brought things to the table that neither Dunk or Webster have though which is why we played them as a 3. We clearly haven't replaced those attributes Ben had.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Firstly, he isn’t gone yet, although I expect the chances he’ll go are probably greater than 50%. However he is one of a number of candidates. He might just go and have a chat and we then get info on what a competitors plans are. I know examples of that before.
If he does go then the compensation will probably cover the salary we’ve paid him since he’s been here so we will have got his services for next to nothing and he did being Lamptey to us for £3/4m and he must be worth £50m.
It’s Bloom’s policy not to block moves for senior employees. He let Ben White go for the right price as well and will then reinvest.
The loss of a senior employee is always a blow but it’s also a potential opportunity and we’ll have a short list of potential replacements that would bring their own black book of contacts.
If he goes and targets any of our players as transfer targets then we’ll hold out and get top price.
So it’s no irreversible loss. A short term blow, of course but we have the management structure in place to cope with it.

Ah, some sense at last, and relax.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Our defensive record has been very good again this season. White is a good player, but others have stepped up.

I think the only reason we really miss White is because we've got a massive injury crisis in his position.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Lewis Dunk would 100% go for the right money

What would constitute the right money ? It would be a potentially career ending move with half a season in the PL, a season in the Championship, then being replaced by a £200m Spanish or Brazilian player. Not to mention the upheaval of a move to the north east of England for a player that supposedly wasn’t keen on moving as far as London to play for Fulham.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What would constitute the right money ? It would be a potentially career ending move with half a season in the PL, a season in the Championship, then being replaced by a £200m Spanish or Brazilian player. Not to mention the upheaval of a move to the north east of England for a player that supposedly wasn’t keen on moving as far as London to play for Fulham.

I do think it is incredibly unlikely. But a 3 or 4 year deal on double your money has to make you think about it for a little bit

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ashworth is a bit of a **** isn't he?

We're going to have listen to a load of bulls*t as to why he went there - having only been here for a short period of time. He's going for the money, end of, to a horrible organisation with an abysmal human rights record.

It stinks, and if that's the type of person he is, I'm glad he's gone.

When did he go? I didn't see the announcement.

And does everybody need to turn into a **** just because they leave the club?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When did he go? I didn't see the announcement.

And does everybody need to turn into a **** just because they leave the club?

He has started the blueprint for the way the playing side is organised and that wont change if he was to go. The only thing that would concern me was if he picked up all the targets we were about to go for.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
These Clubs might have 4 different players that they are targeting for a certain position. All it would take is for someone to say. Forget those other three and go all in and pay what Brighton would want for Dunk because they think he could potentially keep them up

Lewis Dunk would 100% go for the right money

Brighton wont sell Lewis Dunk in January. Ffs. For the right money in the summer, sure everyone is sellable, but selling the captain and best defender mid-season while trying to stay up? It just isnt happening.

I dont think Newcastle are going to be that interested in him anyway, think he is entering the age where he is highly unlikely to leave because no one is going to pay up what he is worth.

They'll probably go for Tarkowski instead. 6 months left on his contract and similar ability as Dunk.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ashworth to newcastle

He will be missed though.

However, are U23’s and younger teams are very well stocked up after his good work. We should have decent talent coming through for the next 5 years. Some highlights include:

Rushworth
Van Hecke
Cochrane
Dendoncker
Tsungui
Moran
Jenks
Caicedo
Lenoard
Ferguson
Zeqiri
Sarmiento
Mitoma
Tolaj
Khadra

Hopefully he has already signed off the ‘goal scorers’ list we’ll be pursuing in January before Newcastle get their hands on it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They'll probably go for Tarkowski instead. 6 months left on his contract and similar ability as Dunk.

Very good point.

Not as good as Dunk (in my opinion) but he is running his contract down for a reason. Newcastle could pay double what West Ham & Leicester are offering.

On the subject of contracts being run down - I think they’ll take Origi too along with Lingard, Alli and Trippier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here