Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
He has started the blueprint for the way the playing side is organised and that wont change if he was to go. The only thing that would concern me was if he picked up all the targets we were about to go for.

Me too - but I don't think Newcastle are looking for the same type of player as us. Their immediate concern is to bring in decent premier league experience to keep them up. They don't need Ashworth to do that.....what they DO need him (or someone like him) to do is help change the whole structure of the club below the first team. That's a long term project, and COULD be of interest to someone like Ashworth. I'd imagine he'd want a very good, long term contract to cover off the risk factor of walking into unknown territory.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s gone.

In a nutshell this sums up the $$$$$$$$$$ EPL.

Being his chance at earning a colossal salary and to escape a restrictive player budget.

In January Newcastle will attempt to sign Trippier etc, buying their way out of trouble.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I'm honestly unsure what to make of Ashworth, I suspect his arrival is what prompted Hughton to change tactics in the second half of his final season and that went badly and got him sacked.

His successor has been better at fulfilling the Ashworth vision but the results aren't much of an improvement and noticeably worse for the home crowd.

Third time lucky?

I think that's down to the decline and departure of Glenn Murray.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Good point, not a lot is my guess.

TB will be saving a big salary every month . . . and no doubt has extracted a wad from the beheaders in compensation.

Highly unlikely we will be saving a big salary every month as we will replace him if he goes.

boik

I love the way everyone judges people by their own standards. "XXX will definitely leave cos he can get more money".

I, and several people I know have turned down opportunities for large pay rises. Money isn't everything, and lots of people realise this.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Players are different though, Stephens would have been able to talk to Burnley had they offered a transfer fee we considered too good to turn down. Our policy on players is clear in that respect.

I'm not sure that holds true in every situation, and certainly not at that time. In the book Brighton Up, Bloom is quoted as saying: "The offer [for Stephens] was a substantial amount, for a player with only one year left on his contract.

"But at that stage we were never going to be able to replace him with a similar player. So we agreed with the board and with Chris [Hughton] that we weren't going to sell him.

"Of course I understood the financial risk it entailed, but I was looking at the bigger picture."

On the subject of Ashworth, I imagine TB has a list of possible replacements for every key position, including those of Ashworth, Potter and Barber. He wouldn't be looking after the club properly if he didn't.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I love the way everyone judges people by their own standards. "XXX will definitely leave cos he can get more money".

I, and several people I know have turned down opportunities for large pay rises. Money isn't everything, and lots of people realise this.

Commendable Boik, but it doesn't seem to be the prevailing attitude in the world of football

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I've just happily taken a pay cut to be closer to home and save an hour aday in commute . . . . most Brighon players eran more in a week than I do in a year.

TBH Asworth will have gone for big beans ( IMO) but equally he has probably been convinced the opportunity to build something special will be afforded him . . . . time will tell.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I'm not stressing. this is the one thing we knew would happen as we climb the pyramid. people will want our staff. uncle tony will definitely have a long list of potential replacements, and we could get to see just how good the clubs 'succession planning' actually is

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
For me, the major surprise in all this is that Alan Nixon got a story right. First time for everything, I suppose ...

boik

Commendable Boik, but it doesn't seem to be the prevailing attitude in the world of football

Maybe not, but there's loads of examples of people seeing the big picture even in football. Paul Scholes famously didn't have an agent for years because he said he already got more than enough money just for doing the thing he loved. Pretty sure our own Glenn wouldn't have gone up the road if anything half decent had been offered. Didn't seem like he was after mega bucks, just to be near home.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Sauce?

Just the moment in English football that a rival offers you the world and they absolutely have the money to do it, all principles are out of the window. At talks stage, he’s gone.

Abram and Mansour did this, nsc barely blinked an eye. Also PSG.

Now finally a realisation how blood or crooked money can buy anyone in this “wonderful” EPL.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only person we need to really worry about and get our knickers in a twist about if he decided to move on is TB :smile:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
For me, the major surprise in all this is that Alan Nixon got a story right. First time for everything, I suppose ...

Well.. maybe. No done deal yet, right?

As for Nixon... not too surprised. First heard of him while I was following GP in Swansea and he was right about pretty much everything. Not surprised it also appears to be the case with Ashworth - not really a clickbait rumour as 90% of English football fans wont give a shit about DA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here