Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My usual evening ride into that there Kent yesterday was one of the best rides I've ever had.

I was riding through Snargate when I sighted a barn owl coming to join me. Completely empty road so was I able to just ride with him/her for about 300 yrds before we finally lost touch. Absolutely marvellous scenes!

Summed up the whole ride perfectly! Loads of wildlife, no traffic, not a breath of wind and perfect temperature for me. The bike was running buttery smooth and the legs felt good too. Cycling don't get better than that!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My usual evening ride into that there Kent yesterday was one of the best rides I've ever had.

I was riding through Snargate when I sighted a barn owl coming to join me. Completely empty road so was I able to just ride with him/her for about 300 yrds before we finally lost touch. Absolutely marvellous scenes!

Summed up the whole ride perfectly! Loads of wildlife, no traffic, not a breath of wind and perfect temperature for me. The bike was running buttery smooth and the legs felt good too. Cycling don't get better than that!

Maybe you could have slowed down a bit so that the owl could keep up?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’ve just seen a guy riding one of these down the A23 towards Preston Park!!

Wtf are they all about, how does the guy stop at lights etc, what possibly could be the attraction to riding one of these?
3da8e5c8a18ff2deca68447f802ef4b4.jpg

It's Chris Balchin who owns Baker St Bike Shop. He regularly crested the Ditchling Beacon on that thing!

Goldberg_Transport_01.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

I had a similar thing yesterday when a Buzzard kept me company for a while....soaring and swooping on the thermals right above me as I went through Iford. Amazing to watch as I cruised along the lane in the sunshine :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FYI Geeks.
Wannabe Geeks
Non Geeks
&
Cheapskates.

It looks like Aldi's poorly timed postponement of 'Summer Cycling' offers has been lifted and will be in Store tomorrow (some bits already there today)

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
FYI Geeks.
Wannabe Geeks
Non Geeks
&
Cheapskates.

It looks like Aldi's poorly timed postponement of 'Summer Cycling' offers has been lifted and will be in Store tomorrow (some bits already there today)

I grabbed a new jersey from the Lewes store on Wednesday evening...lovely quality for £6.99 & perfect for my gravel riding. Shame they didn't have the matching "touring" shorts in my size...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Left just after 5am this morning for my regular foray into that there Kent. I quite literally had the first car go past me just by the Rare Breeds Centre. That's about 25 miles in!

Only a handful came past me by the time I'd got home too. And the route I took was by no means all small country lanes.

Absolutely marvellous scenes! Who needs closed road sportives when you can have some of that for free :) And right on your doorstep too!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Left just after 5am this morning for my regular foray into that there Kent. I quite literally had the first car go past me just by the Rare Breeds Centre. That's about 25 miles in!

Only a handful came past me by the time I'd got home too. And the route I took was by no means all small country lanes.

Absolutely marvellous scenes! Who needs closed road sportives when you can have some of that for free :) And right on your doorstep too!

There is nothing better than car free roads. Are you friends with Armchair c?? I thought you used to ride with him, or I could be mistaken. Just that I’ve not seen him post on here, or log a ride on Strava since last year.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Okay, obviously an enjoyable ride this morning but a couple of reasons to smile.

I PBed Toys. Top 22% of the cat 3 segment.

We had to tip toe through some road surface works due to sections of ramps and removed surfaces etc. A group come past through a surface free bit and one thought he was a bit clever to go fast on the side. Silly twit asked too much and nearly went down in the loose. A clear 'oh fukk' moment. I didn't have a chance to feel sorry for him because the rest of the group had CPFC jerseys on. We let them carry on being macho. A bit later as I caught them up a roundabout, I saw one in the road. No question of an accident and I can only assume he gambled on no cars coming from the right and then failed to stop properly. How he lost his chain is something I can't explain. I didn't taunt him.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There is nothing better than car free roads. Are you friends with Armchair c?? I thought you used to ride with him, or I could be mistaken. Just that I’ve not seen him post on here, or log a ride on Strava since last year.

Yes, I've ridden with him a fair bit over the years. Or should I say, I've tried to keep up with him, always unsuccessfully :rolleyes:

He's fine. Just had enough of Strava and the like I think. He's not alone in that either.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The misses and I are fed up using those green bulky city bikes everywhere and have decided to get our own. She wants a hybrid but I think mountain bikes will give us more options on places to go adventure. Price range is around 200 quid each. Having had a quick look , I know we're at the cheapest end of the scale but are there any brands to avoid? Live in the centre of Brighton but are likely to take them to natural beauty spots.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The misses and I are fed up using those green bulky city bikes everywhere and have decided to get our own. She wants a hybrid but I think mountain bikes will give us more options on places to go adventure. Price range is around 200 quid each. Having had a quick look , I know we're at the cheapest end of the scale but are there any brands to avoid? Live in the centre of Brighton but are likely to take them to natural beauty spots.

Avoid Appollo, Halfords' cheapest range. They are utterly shit.

At that price range you should be looking second hand - you can get some fairly good deals on Facebook Marketplace. Size is important, obviously, but if you want to go down that route, let me know and I will see what looks good for your needs!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

At that price point the standard advise used to be Gumtree, Fri Ad et al, but I doubt you'll find much value there at the moment.

New the answer is Decathlon or, sadly, Halfords.

The problem with Halfords is you're unlikely to get it built with the necessary due care and attention.

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/7-best-cheap-hybrid-bikes-2020-215418

As for a 'cheap' mountain bike my advise is - DON'T
Esp if you have a lot of riding to do before you even see a dirt track.

It'll be hard enough to find an enjoyable bike to ride, at that price point, all chunky tyres, suspension and an 'arm chair' seat will do is add weight and despite what your eyes are telling you, make the bike even harder to ride and less comfortable.

You too probably should just get a hybrid as well.

The nature of the bike means they range from 'flat bar' road bike hybrid, through to 'suspensionless, better geared' mountain bike.

It would be a million times better to ride around town, yet still able to cope with a well used track.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria

Do you have access to the Cycle to Work scheme?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
At that price point the standard advise used to be Gumtree, Fri Ad et al, but I doubt you'll find much value there at the moment.

New the answer is Decathlon or, sadly, Halfords.

The problem with Halfords is you're unlikely to get it built with the necessary due care and attention.

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/7-best-cheap-hybrid-bikes-2020-215418

As for a 'cheap' mountain bike my advise is - DON'T
Esp if you have a lot of riding to do before you even see a dirt track.

It'll be hard enough to find an enjoyable bike to ride, at that price point, all chunky tyres, suspension and an 'arm chair' seat will do is add weight and despite what your eyes are telling you, make the bike even harder to ride and less comfortable.

You too probably should just get a hybrid as well.

The nature of the bike means they range from 'flat bar' road bike hybrid, through to 'suspensionless, better geared' mountain bike.

It would be a million times better to ride around town, yet still able to cope with a well used track.

I repectfully, but entirely, disagree.

I have a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper that cost me £125 about ten years ago. It would probably go for about £200 on FB Marketplace now. It is still a fantastic bike, obviously because I lavish care and attention on it, and I have ridden extensively on the Downs on it.

Stat doesn't like mountain bikes, and would always suggest a road bike or a hybrid. I think that you are missing out on so much if you stray from the MTB route. The off road rides I do could not be done on a hybrid.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against hybrids and road bikes - in fact most of my riding over the years has been on a road bike.

There are excellent deals to be had, [MENTION=26444]Wrong Direction[/MENTION], if you know what you are looking for, and as I said, I can help you with this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here