[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Did you check the valve core on the inner tube? If it's a Conti tube, it'll have a removable core and these easily work loose meaning you'll loose air out of it over night.

Screw on pumps, not track pumps, will also unscrew the valve completely letting all the air out when you unscrew the pump, leaving you stranded by the roadside. It happened to me once and is the reason why I will never ever use a Conti tube again.

Not conti tubes Slime
Just figured the overnight deflation may have been a pinch fitting the tyre
But for the same thing to occur on the other wheel a couple of weeks later
Is perplexing ?
Valves OK
I use the 12v car pump to inflate them

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Got bitten to death by mosquitoes on a backcountry part of my route yesterday. But managed to get up to 59.8kmh at one point. And shaved an hour off the last time I did this route (three weeks ago.).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not conti tubes Slime
Just figured the overnight deflation may have been a pinch fitting the tyre
But for the same thing to occur on the other wheel a couple of weeks later
Is perplexing ?
Valves OK
I use the 12v car pump to inflate them

Why do you suspect a pinch flat? I may be wrong, but my understanding of a pinch flat is when you hit something hard on an under inflated tyre and it pinches the tube causing a puncture. Otherwise known as a snake bite when you look at the two holes left in the tube.

Doesn't sound like what you're describing. A slow puncture almost always points to a tiny tiny hole in the tube or a loose valve core. How do you know the valves are ok?. Have you tried tightening them with a pair of pliers? You won't know if they're tight enough just by hand.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
some gentle lol's

[tweet]1269221451896422401[/tweet]

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Yorks, on the basis its the only bit of road where I thought I might fall off the back if I sat up too much, has the steepest sections I've ridden. Luckily, the debris was low but it was wet so I had to ignore the odd slip. Its funny, you know its time for business as you enter the tunnel. I might have to make a few more visits to see what I might achieve. I don't know it at all. Lots of little corners to keep you guessing. My max heart rate was slightly lower than I thought it might be. Certainly at the top waiting for Sir Julian I thought it was fukken mental.

Anyone got any advice about (hopefully) a hamstring niggle? Right at the top under a cheek. Its only 'there' when I roll my leg. Yesterday I 'iced' and ibubrofened it which helped, but I can't get comfortable with it in bed.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yorks, on the basis its the only bit of road where I thought I might fall off the back if I sat up too much, has the steepest sections I've ridden. Luckily, the debris was low but it was wet so I had to ignore the odd slip. Its funny, you know its time for business as you enter the tunnel. I might have to make a few more visits to see what I might achieve. I don't know it at all. Lots of little corners to keep you guessing. My max heart rate was slightly lower than I thought it might be. Certainly at the top waiting for Sir Julian I thought it was fukken mental.

Anyone got any advice about (hopefully) a hamstring niggle? Right at the top under a cheek. Its only 'there' when I roll my leg. Yesterday I 'iced' and ibubrofened it which helped, but I can't get comfortable with it in bed.

Having ridden Yorks myself, on the same ride as Ide Hill and Toys Hill, my best advice for that hamstring is....don't be riding Yorks again anytime soon :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Piece of wee-wee you Kent boys wouldn't know a climb if it appeared in front of you only wearing pants and carrying a stuffed wild boar.

#niche

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Piece of wee-wee you Kent boys wouldn't know a climb if it appeared in front of you only wearing pants and carrying a stuffed wild boar.

#niche

Have you ridden Yorks?

It's proper nasty. For the surface as much as anything.

I think the Koppenberg is the only hill I've ridden that is harder, although Butts Brow in Eastbourne isn't too shabby either.

What's the best Hampshire has to offer then?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you ridden Yorks?

It's proper nasty. For the surface as much as anything.

I think the Koppenberg is the only hill I've ridden that is harder, although Butts Brow in Eastbourne isn't too shabby either.

What's the best Hampshire has to offer then?

Yeah the same as you, I did Kidds with Ides and Toys, along with Ditching Beacon Steyning Bostal and The Wall in the same ride, back in the days when I could ride 145 miles in 1 day, instead of 1 month!!!

Sure we both know The Wall doesn't count, but for reasons unknown it's still logged as a Top 100 climb.

All of Best Sussex makes Beast Sussex look like Kent, we have proper hills for proper cyclists.
I have a 40% climb just to get into the village.

(Narrators voice) No he doesn't.

:lol:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Do JJ and GL from the Strava NSG club post on this thread? Serial podium botherers them two, keeping [MENTION=16679]Hangullton[/MENTION] on his toes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can someone link me up as to how to join the NSG on Strava?

Also - first mountain bike trail coming up this weekend. Can't wait!

If you search clubs we are North Stand Geeks.

You can join from there, I don't think you need an invite of anything like that.

I was a 'moderator' of the group and once tried to do something.
Sadly all I managed to do was unmoderate myself! :lol: :facepalm:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If you search clubs we are North Stand Geeks.

You can join from there, I don't think you need an invite of anything like that.

I was a 'moderator' of the group and once tried to do something.
Sadly all I managed to do was unmoderate myself! :lol: :facepalm:

Ah, so that's how I got moderator access then. I knew it couldn't have been deliberate.

Anyway, this motorcycle rider is ramping up his fitness:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBN-K_fnFXK/?igshid=1kg1ca3jbdpxn

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’ve just seen a guy riding one of these down the A23 towards Preston Park!!

Wtf are they all about, how does the guy stop at lights etc, what possibly could be the attraction to riding one of these?
3da8e5c8a18ff2deca68447f802ef4b4.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ve just seen a guy riding one of these down the A23 towards Preston Park!!

Wtf are they all about, how does the guy stop at lights etc, what possibly could be the attraction to riding one of these?
3da8e5c8a18ff2deca68447f802ef4  b4.jpg

'Look At Me' in Brighton - I'm shocked so out of character with the rest of the city.

Anyway enjoy

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is strava any good? I've tried it and done the exact same route three days in a row and got different distances each day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is strava any good? I've tried it and done the exact same route three days in a row and got different distances each day.

Ive always found it to be very accurate.
I guess it depends on your settings and how good the GPS is in your devise.

When 3 of us regularly rode together, 2 would always have identical numbers, while the third, Phil, was way off on everything.
We were all using Garmins so Christ knows how he had his set up.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ive always found it to be very accurate.
I guess it depends on your settings and how good the GPS is in your devise.

When 3 of us regularly rode together, 2 would always have identical numbers, while the third, Phil, was way off on everything.
We were all using Garmins so Christ knows how he had his set up.

I'm using the app on my iphone x it tends to vary from 9.4 to 9.6 on my daily ride (I do a weekend ride that is longer) so it's not a major difference, I suppose. Just curious.

It seems better than the previous app I used. I can't remember its name but it automatically recorded rides, but seemed to think I would cycle through buildings and fences rather than follow the roads around those obstructions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports