Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
It may be a lump for going up the hills, but Im loving riding this old thing at the moment. No back or saddle ache, the 26x2.1 tyres soak up all the little lumps & bumps well, very comfy to cruise along on, the Tektro V brakes work well, and the basic Tourney gearing changes like a dream.

VERY tempted to splash the cash on a decent gravel bike like a couple of mates have done, but I kind of like the old school charm of this one....especially as it was dirt cheap & I built it all up myself. Would seem silly to spend a load of money on a new one if I dont really need to?

View attachment 124131

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's actually where I live :lolol: To be fair i'll try most hills - i've conquered Bury Hill (albeit on the SDW as opposed to the A29) a few years back, but i'll give anything a go. I just need to map out some routes that work...and are in a loop. I like loops.

You are well placed for some lovely rolling ride.

After faffing around Lords Piece pop out at Barlavington, down as if heading to Duncton but turn left signed for Grafham and Selham.
That takes in the likes of Heyshott and Ambersham.
Bringing out just north of Cocking.
From there either south to Goodwood or north to midhurst, to loop home.

East you can either drop into Coldwaltham before heading towards Washington then onto Henfield.
Just north of there is Wineham and Twineham, which is some great riding.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
You are well placed for some lovely rolling ride.

After faffing around Lords Piece pop out at Barlavington, down as if heading to Duncton but turn left signed for Grafham and Selham.
That takes in the likes of Heyshott and Ambersham.
Bringing out just north of Cocking.
From there either south to Goodwood or north to midhurst, to loop home.

East you can either drop into Coldwaltham before heading towards Washington then onto Henfield.
Just north of there is Wineham and Twineham, which is some great riding.

Nice one! I want to go around Selham as i want to go to the station there (train nerd alert) and also do the Downs Link (esp as it now goes through the newly-opened Guildford branch of Christs Hospital station).

I've done a loop starting from Fittleworth going via Coldwaltham-Rackham-Amberley-Bury-West Burton - involves some off-road paths but that's no issue for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice one! I want to go around Selham as i want to go to the station there (train nerd alert) and also do the Downs Link (esp as it now goes through the newly-opened Guildford branch of Christs Hospital station).

I've done a loop starting from Fittleworth going via Coldwaltham-Rackham-Amberley-Bury-West Burton - involves some off-road paths but that's no issue for me.

Yeah Selham/Grafham/Heyshott/Amersham is a little circular route in itself.
But as said you could comer out at the top of Cocking, then Goodwood and down Duncton Hill.
If you went straight on, instead of the evil s-bend, you'll be able to get home via Barlavington, Coates etc.

Time it right and I doubt you'll see more than 20 cars.

Alternatively.

There's a punishing climb at Bedham but that does get you to Wisborough Green, which in turn is the gateway for Plaidstow, Northchapel (via Shillinglee Rd).
If you don't know it, from there Pipers Lane, right then left onto Scratchings Lane to Kirdford, is one of my favourite roads in Sussex.
It's also known to a few Geeks as I included it in a route we covered x years ago.

From there you can get to Petworth via Balls Cross.

I doubt much of that route has seen 20 cars all year.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Blimey, that has got to be the first time I have ever seen you being positive about the conditions when the temperature is above 10 degrees!

I really don't get out on the road bike much these days, unless I'm in France. I've grown rather fond of my 60mm knobbly tyres, deserted trails and never a car in sight.

I have even converted [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION], who always swore that he would NEVER get an MTB. Well, he's got one, and we are meeting for a socially distanced tour of local trails tomorrow.

I can safely say that I enjoyed my MTB ride a lot, so thanks to [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] for keeping on at me.

In all honesty, I am still a roadie at heart, so [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] and [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION] fear not - I still love slipping into lycra. I just have another wonderful option now. It's well worth a spin.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just in case anyone needs cheering up:-

campag.jpg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
FYI tyre shoppers.

I stopped searching t'internet when I got to this deal:-

https://www.merlincycles.com/vittoria-rubino-pro-g-isotech-folding-road-tyre-700c-87381.html

Do you even ride bro?

10, are they better than the Michelins you put me onto? And by better I mean no fukken punctures.

Sir Julian had an odd one yesterday. It sounded like he had hydrolic brakes but it was tyre rubbing on pad - the trye was trying to escape. As he let air out to resite it, it gashed by pinching the tube. The swine.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you even ride bro?

10, are they better than the Michelins you put me onto? And by better I mean no fukken punctures.

Sir Julian had an odd one yesterday. It sounded like he had hydrolic brakes but it was tyre rubbing on pad - the trye was trying to escape. As he let air out to resite it, it gashed by pinching the tube. The swine.
As you know I was out today, looking down on my incredibly 'shiny' front tyre.

I've been a fan of Vittoria's for years, weeing myself off super expensive Michelins.

I couldn't get my preferred Rubino Pro Slick, so these will be new to me.
Apparently they're pretty robust.

The deal looks too good to be true.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

I've been a fan of Vittoria's for years, weeing myself off super expensive Michelins.

Bit more pricey for 28s.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Do you even ride bro?

No good asking me. I've never used them. :shrug:

Only Vittoria tyres I've ever used was a diamante pro that came on a second hand bike I bought. Tyre was practically new yet was the worst tyre I've ever had for punctures. I got rid asap and never been near a Vittoria since :lol:

In fairness, that was a good while back, I think that model was more of a 'racing' tyre, and technology has obviously since moved on.

So I'd say you take your chances on Vittoria just like you do with any other brand.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

But what you don't mention is how they felt on the ride.

Well?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But what you don't mention is how they felt on the ride.

Well?

Sorry not ridden them yet, it was just very obvious today I needed to replace my old Vittoria's, hence the shopping then being somewhat pleased with finding such a bargain.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
GP 4000’s II indestructible so far. Yeah yeah I know 5000’s out now but 4000’s getting a better review for price. Roll like a dream too.

My unhinged pathological hatred of Conti's is only matched by my refusal to even look at a Trek. :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My unhinged pathological hatred of Conti's is only matched by my refusal to even look at a Trek. :lol:

I have a confession to make.

You know our shared hatred of Conti's? Well, last Summer I found myself in a position where they were pretty much my only very very last minute choice for a bike packing trip, so I bought a pair :blush:

I have to say, I was actually quite impressed with them on the trip. So much so, I kept them on and have been using them ever since, even through 6 months of commutes in daily downpours.

They're still not my tyre of choice though when all said and done, and I still refuse point blank to buy or use another conti inner tube for as long as I live! So all's well that ends well :D

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a confession to make.

You know our shared hatred of Conti's? Well, last Summer I found myself in a position where they were pretty much my only very very last minute choice for a bike packing trip, so I bought a pair :blush:

I have to say, I was actually quite impressed with them on the trip. So much so, I kept them on and have been using them ever since, even through 6 months of commutes in daily downpours.

They're still not my tyre of choice though when all said and done, and I still refuse point blank to buy or use another conti inner tube for as long as I live! So all's well that ends well :D
:lol:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
slight deviation
But are the slime inner tubes much cop ?
Put a pair in my old bike
But unlike ronseal they don’t do what it says on the tin
IE self seal punctures

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here