Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
TYPAJBMM_P11.jpg

My weapon of choice...Jack Brown Mile Munchers. Think Ive said before how good they are, but I really do LOVE these tyres.
Puncture resistant (none yet after 2k+) & super smooth on the road...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A request to the Geeks living in the bright lights big city of that there Brighton.

Is it open?

It's just I notice from the weather forecast Saturday is an ideal day to ride to Brighton with Stat Club Jnrs.

Now it's always about the journey over the destination, but if Lil Miss Stat can make it there without moaning her arse off and ruining it for everybody else, she's clearly earned her McDonalds, Shake Away (or is it Shake Shack) and a quick spin around the North Laine pick n mix shop.

What chance have we got?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
slight deviation
But are the slime inner tubes much cop ?
Put a pair in my old bike
But unlike ronseal they don’t do what it says on the tin
IE self seal punctures

Imho they’re only as good as the tyre. Put a slime tube in a worn tyre is like using a long out of date condom on a visit to the De Wallen and expecting not to need antibiotics on your return.

Slime tubes really are only going to work in a robust tyre against a minor puncture to enable you to limp home. Every tyre loses its thickness and gets nicks and tears in it over time, slime cannot deal with say a bit of flint embedding itself in one of those weak spots.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A request to the Geeks living in the bright lights big city of that there Brighton.

Is it open?

It's just I notice from the weather forecast Saturday is an ideal day to ride to Brighton with Stat Club Jnrs.

Now it's always about the journey over the destination, but if Lil Miss Stat can make it there without moaning her arse off and ruining it for everybody else, she's clearly earned her McDonalds, Shake Away (or is it Shake Shack) and a quick spin around the North Laine pick n mix shop.

What chance have we got?

McDonalds drive-thru Shoreham wasn’t open yesterday if that helps. BUT Burger King Goldstone was (according to my son who doesn’t abide by the Albion related exclusion zone).:shrug:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Is it open?

What chance have we got?

McDonalds in the Marina is opening today for Drive Thru only (my lad is in for a big shock, returning to work & the expected queues!) and I think you'll find a few take out places open in town....but other than that, as far as Im aware, it is totally shut down still. Havent been in to town for 3 or 4 weeks now though, but it was a ghost town last time....
The seafront bike path will probably be busy though - I've had to give up using it & taken my chances with the cars.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
McDonalds in the Marina is opening today for Drive Thru only (my lad is in for a big shock, returning to work & the expected queues!) and I think you'll find a few take out places open in town....but other than that, as far as Im aware, it is totally shut down still. Havent been in to town for 3 or 4 weeks now though, but it was a ghost town last time....
The seafront bike path will probably be busy though - I've had to give up using it & taken my chances with the cars.

Thanks that's a shame.

Oddly we don't get too many days that are about 15 degrees with a 20mph westerly that fit in with my shift pattern.

Oh well onwards and upwards.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
View attachment 124421

My weapon of choice...Jack Brown Mile Munchers. Think Ive said before how good they are, but I really do LOVE these tyres.
Puncture resistant (none yet after 2k+) & super smooth on the road...

Never heard of those, but...'Increased tread depth' ???

I'm curious also if Conti do any of their tyres without a tread pattern? Do they not realise that tread on road bike tyres serve no purpose, beyond the illusion of increased grip.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Never heard of those, but...'Increased tread depth' ???

I'm curious also if Conti do any of their tyres without a tread pattern? Do they not realise that tread on road bike tyres serve no purpose, beyond the illusion of increased grip.

They are sold on the Planet X website (£20 each at the moment - I got them for £15 last year) and are made by Panaracer. The tread barely registers tbh, so shallow it may as well be smooth!

TYPAJBMM_P1.jpg

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Imho they’re only as good as the tyre. Put a slime tube in a worn tyre is like using a long out of date condom on a visit to the De Wallen and expecting not to need antibiotics on your return.

Slime tubes really are only going to work in a robust tyre against a minor puncture to enable you to limp home. Every tyre loses its thickness and gets nicks and tears in it over time, slime cannot deal with say a bit of flint embedding itself in one of those weak spots.

Brand new double fighters I think that's the name
Conti s Hybrid type tyre awaits flaming
First went down inside 18hrs possible pinch
During fitting at a guess as Nothing found in tyre Or any tape damage ie loose spoke either
Second flat couple of hundred miles later over 2 weeks Similar No damage to tyre Or anything found inside This time rear wheel
Is it possible a dodgy batch of tubes?
Chucked ancient tube back on non slime
As yet No flats touch wood fair few miles done as well
Seems like double the price Yet still get punctures that should self plug
Oddly very little slime found on the inside of the tyre Either time
Perhaps lacking in slime
Hence my problems

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Theres your problem...terrible tyres in my experience. I had a pair of the older generation Double Fighters which I bought for a charity on/off-road ride a few years ago. I had 3 punctures between Brighton and Ditchling, and in the end had to call my dad out with a spare wheel from his bike to finish the ride. Persevered for a while afterwards with them, thinking I was just really unlucky that day...but had no end of flats whenever I used them. Obviously still no better these days!

Dump them in the bin.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Fukken ace. Ideal riding weather for ages, then when I must ride (service booked) it goes dodgy. I bet the front tyre fails too - best call that in and not carry the spare.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Conti s Hybrid type tyre awaits flaming
First went down inside 18hrs possible pinch
During fitting at a guess as Nothing found in tyre Or any tape damage ie loose spoke either
Second flat couple of hundred miles later over 2 weeks Similar No damage to tyre Or anything found inside This time rear wheel
Is it possible a dodgy batch of tubes?
Chucked ancient tube back on non slime
As yet No flats touch wood fair few miles done as well
Seems like double the price Yet still get punctures that should self plug
Oddly very little slime found on the inside of the tyre Either time
Perhaps lacking in slime
Hence my problems

Did you check the valve core on the inner tube? If it's a Conti tube, it'll have a removable core and these easily work loose meaning you'll loose air out of it over night.

Screw on pumps, not track pumps, will also unscrew the valve completely letting all the air out when you unscrew the pump, leaving you stranded by the roadside. It happened to me once and is the reason why I will never ever use a Conti tube again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Every fukken time we turned a corner this morning we were hit with wind. It was the blusteriest ride I can remember and the miles were hard. In rare moments of quiet, I had the lovely sound of no bike noise to contend with. Best ever service, but maybe as the bike was close to falling apart, the good felling was inevitable.

Respect to Sir Julian. Only 10 rides in '20 and he's up for another all nighter. I suggested Box and he added Leith. We agreed to do it in three weeks.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Theres your problem...terrible tyres in my experience. I had a pair of the older generation Double Fighters which I bought for a charity on/off-road ride a few years ago. I had 3 punctures between Brighton and Ditchling, and in the end had to call my dad out with a spare wheel from his bike to finish the ride. Persevered for a while afterwards with them, thinking I was just really unlucky that day...but had no end of flats whenever I used them. Obviously still no better these days!

Dump them in the bin.

In this instance I don’t believe them ( tyres ) to be the issue
I think it’s the slime tubes themselves Not self sealing
I’m wondering if perhaps there s not enough slime within the inner tubes
Faulty batch maybe ? But never having used them before
Perhaps expected too much of them !
I have found no evidence of tyre penetration on either occasion F&R wheels
The hole seemingly on the inside of the circle
Which might suggest loose spokes
But they seem fine and there is no evidence of rim tape damage either
Have done a few hundred miles since and between the mystery punctures OK
Now I have cursed them I expect to pick up a flat on my next ride