Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yes, if you want to go 'new', that is the way forward.
I'm a self employed plumber so doubt I'm eligible for that [emoji16] I've had a look at some second hand bikes, they're not that much cheaper than the newer ones ive seen in halfords/decathlon

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm a self employed plumber so doubt I'm eligible for that [emoji16] I've had a look at some second hand bikes, they're not that much cheaper than the newer ones ive seen in halfords/decathlon

Decathlon is definitely better than Halfords at the cheaper end.

How tall are you both? I'll have a bit of a look aver the next few days.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Decathlon is definitely better than Halfords at the cheaper end.

How tall are you both? I'll have a bit of a look aver the next few days.
She works for NHS so might be able to use this scheme, I'll have to hook a tape measure out, I know it's all about length [emoji23]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I repectfully, but entirely, disagree.

I have a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper that cost me £125 about ten years ago. It would probably go for about £200 on FB Marketplace now. It is still a fantastic bike, obviously because I lavish care and attention on it, and I have ridden extensively on the Downs on it.

Stat doesn't like mountain bikes, and would always suggest a road bike or a hybrid. I think that you are missing out on so much if you stray from the MTB route. The off road rides I do could not be done on a hybrid.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against hybrids and road bikes - in fact most of my riding over the years has been on a road bike.

There are excellent deals to be had, [MENTION=26444]Wrong Direction[/MENTION], if you know what you are looking for, and as I said, I can help you with this
Oh deffo.

It's probably very wrong of me but my instant thought process when a fella says:-

'I want a cheap mountain bike'

is always

'that bike will never see mud and will be a ball ache around town'.

A couple of years ago we got Jnr a second hand Spesh Hardrock, for similar money.
It won't be long before it's heading my way and TBH I'm quite looking forward to getting my hands on it, for popping to the shops, et al.
But then again it's only really a mountain bike in name only, as it has no suspension etc, but it has been quite happy in the New Forest (as was my Cube road bike - although I was terrified :lol: )

Oh and when I do get it, the first thing I'll do is get some slicker tyres!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In looking for a photo of Jnr's bike - here's one:-

Hardrock.jpg

I stumbled into http://www.retrobike.co.uk/

The second post I looked at in the classifieds was:-

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=413865
So they are out there - clearly I got that bit wrong.
(Nobody needs the trauma of the first bike I saw, a Marin B17, no me neither)

To me any bike like either of those two would be considerably more ideal than front or full suspensioned cheap MB, for someone not committed to mountain biking.

(The fact that they are both 15 years and slick tyres away from being labelled hybrids, is neither here nor there!)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
In looking for a photo of Jnr's bike - here's one:-

View attachment 124987

I stumbled into http://www.retrobike.co.uk/

The second post I looked at in the classifieds was:-

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=413865
So they are out there - clearly I got that bit wrong.
(Nobody needs the trauma of the first bike I saw, a Marin B17, no me neither)

To me any bike like either of those two would be considerably more ideal than front or full suspensioned cheap MB, for someone not committed to mountain biking.

(The fact that they are both 15 years and slick tyres away from being labelled hybrids, is neither here nor there!)

Depending on the vintage, the Marin B17 is a bloody good bike!

But you are right to say that an older full suspension bike at that price would be foolhardy. Hardtail, though? Yes please.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

A £200 secondhand bike should really be half the price of when it was new, maybe less. So while you're looking at prices and they might not be cheaper, they may well be better bikes.

The thing is about cheap bikes from Halfords / Decathlon etc. is the weight. It won't make you fall in love with cycling on a heavy bike. I also wouldn't touch any kind of suspension on a new bike unless it was in the £350+ category. Suspensions forks under that will just be springs, very heavy, and not improving the ride that much.

If your budget is limited, then go for the lightest least fussy bike you can. Lower weight, less gears, no suspension. Keep it simple, you may get something you can enjoy and get on with. :thumbsup:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Signed the petition...up to 462 this morning.

Re: MTB for Wrong Direction & his missus, I would also go down the 2nd hand route first. Some very good bargains out there if you have a hunt. If it HAS to be brand new though, Decathlon would be the best option. They make some seriously good bikes, and even at the lower end they produce solid machines. I would happily take any of their bikes out for a spin.

1633470_default.jpg

"We created this ST 100 mountain bike at our B'Twin Village (Lille, France) especially for mountain biking enthusiasts.
Recreational mountain bikers told us they wanted comfort, effectiveness and durability. Those features were our starting point as we designed, developed and tested the ST 100 mountain bike, with real riders involved throughout the project."

This one for £180 would be a perfect starter for (what I suspect) would be WD's type of riding. Microshift gears, Suntour fork - a good, functional, setup for beginners / leisure riders.

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The thing is about cheap bikes from Halfords / Decathlon etc. is the weight. It won't make you fall in love with cycling on a heavy bike.

I get what you are saying, but weight doesn't always play a part...especially for the leisure cyclists, who wont be tackling Bo Peep Bostal or Ditchling Beacon etc any time soon. My home-built bike weighs a f*****g ton (I literally struggle to pick up the back end when Im loaded for my long rides) but I love riding it more than my £1k machines, and its got me up some seriously steep local climbs despite the weight penalty.
For around town, or on grass / gravel bike trails, a weighty bike shouldn't really be a problem.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I get what you are saying, but weight doesn't always play a part...especially for the leisure cyclists, who wont be tackling Bo Peep Bostal or Ditchling Beacon etc any time soon. My home-built bike weighs a f*****g ton (I literally struggle to pick up the back end when Im loaded for my long rides) but I love riding it more than my £1k machines, and its got me up some seriously steep local climbs despite the weight penalty.
For around town, or on grass / gravel bike trails, a weighty bike shouldn't really be a problem.

I guess what I mean is unnecessary weight. I just look at the components on a sub £200 bike with 21 gears, suspension etc. as unnecessary for, as you say the likely type of riding.

e.g. This entry level £180 bike at Decathlon at 14kg and a simple gear set up is probably better than their £180 15kg MTB entry, and probably less to go wrong on the hybrid too. Unless you're doing single tracks and jumps through Stanmer Park, or spending a decent wedge on proper suspension forks, then I'd steer clear.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I guess what I mean is unnecessary weight. I just look at the components on a sub £200 bike with 21 gears, suspension etc. as unnecessary for, as you say the likely type of riding.

e.g. This entry level £180 bike at Decathlon at 14kg and a simple gear set up is probably better than their £180 15kg MTB entry, and probably less to go wrong on the hybrid too. Unless you're doing single tracks and jumps through Stanmer Park, or spending a decent wedge on proper suspension forks, then I'd steer clear.

Funnily enough, Ive been looking at the Riverside 500 for the missus. Still has front suspension, but with no front changer to worry about it would be the ideal beginner bike for her - especially as she would mainly use it to work & back along the undercliff, and family trail rides. Still weighs less than 14kg as well.

500-hybrid-bike-white.jpg

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I've been using a decathlon bike since 2012 - my first road bike. It has done well, with a pretty light aluminium frame, a carbon fork and a triple (yeah, I know...) Sora chainset. It was a bargain at the time, at £440, including an 'elite' bottle cage.

One of these, but I have slightly upgraded the wheelset:

BTwin%20Triban.jpg

I keep thinking about upgrading, but I'm not cycling enough at the moment to justify the spend (even though I pretty much know what my n+1 would be...). I also keep thinking about getting a mountain bike to hit the Trans-Pennine Way,which is on my doorstep.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A £200 secondhand bike should really be half the price of when it was new, maybe less. So while you're looking at prices and they might not be cheaper, they may well be better bikes.

The thing is about cheap bikes from Halfords / Decathlon etc. is the weight. It won't make you fall in love with cycling on a heavy bike. I also wouldn't touch any kind of suspension on a new bike unless it was in the £350+ category. Suspensions forks under that will just be springs, very heavy, and not improving the ride that much.

If your budget is limited, then go for the lightest least fussy bike you can. Lower weight, less gears, no suspension. Keep it simple, you may get something you can enjoy and get on with. :thumbsup:

Totally agree with you about the importance of a low bike weight, even when just city riding in very hilly Brighton (away from the seafront).

To use the old bags of sugar analogy, cycling up even just 4% hills is so much easier, when not carrying 3, 4 or 5 unnecessary bags of sugar in bike weight. We find it means everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here