Mar 10, 2013
So I just purchased this Screenshot_20200618-163750_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So I just purchased this View attachment 125051

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I've found you the perfect light set to go with that, now that you're finally one of the geek family :lolol:

I have two sets of these and they are without doubt the best set of 'be seen' (as opposed to see with) lights I've ever owned in terms of run times and functionality. USB full charge in less than two hours as well. I honestly can't recommend them enough.

I got mine at a decent price, individually, but nothing like as cheap as Fawkes currently have them for a set. Absolute bargain at this price !

https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/249...on-rechargeable-front-and-rear-light-set.aspx

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Box Hill. Lovely surface and all that but it ain't all that is it? Never got out of middle ring or saddle.

Leith Hill. A bit more challenging but not a big deal.

Escaping Redhill on the A25 was more of a struggle.

Toys is where its at fellas.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Box Hill. Lovely surface and all that but it ain't all that is it? Never got out of middle ring or saddle.

There's about 4 or 5 climbs t'other side of the road which are far more challenging.
Our Surrey expert will remind us, Leith, Ranmore Common, gonna say White's Lane but that might be wrong.

Box Hill's a show pony much like The Wall.
I always get to the top and think 'I should have ridden that much faster'.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I was due to take in the Surrey Hills en route to The Cotswolds this Easter on a planned bike packing tour. Needless to say it didn't happen, so I still haven't ridden there. I heard that Box Hill is a let down, akin to Ditchling Beacon and Kidd's Hill, and that Leith Hill is much better, just as you say.

I discovered a nice little one on the back lanes in your neck of the woods yesterday. It was a surprise route so I had no knowledge of it previously. Turns out it even shows up on veloviewer. https://veloviewer.com/segment/646919/Barn+Hill
I expect you've already ridden it, being right on your doorstep?

I'm in full agreement about Toys too. That and Yorks are two of the toughest climbs I've encountered within riding distance of home.

Edit: I forgot to add that yesterday's ride also took in Coldharbour Lane up out of Wye. A really nice climb that is worth doing even if just for the stunning view of the Devil's Kneading Trough once you reach the top :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The thing is, I felt that I had to do Box one day. Solstice night in Lockdown seemed as good as an opportunity as any to do it, especially getting there.

Crawley can fukk itself. Me and Sir Julian hit the same pot hole there. My full bottle ejector seated out of the seat tube cage and his chain got thrown off. He was going to retrieve my bottle but a van decapitated it. I rationed what I had left before topping up at a late night garage in Dorking.

The route was dual carriageway central there and so plenty of head down escaping.

I really like Barn 10. I plan to revisit it to see what being 2 stone lighter will see me reach. I love that part of the world. When commuting I come home by going up the next one along. There's a long line of them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The thing is, I felt that I had to do Box one day. Solstice night in Lockdown seemed as good as an opportunity as any to do it, especially getting there.

Crawley can fukk itself. Me and Sir Julian hit the same pot hole there. My full bottle ejector seated out of the seat tube cage and his chain got thrown off. He was going to retrieve my bottle but a van decapitated it. I rationed what I had left before topping up at a late night garage in Dorking.

The route was dual carriageway central there and so plenty of head down escaping.

I really like Barn 10. I plan to revisit it to see what being 2 stone lighter will see me reach. I love that part of the world. When commuting I come home by going up the next one along. There's a long line of them.

Yeah, I see from the map that Huncton Hill and Smith's Hill are either side. What are they like? I love goung off into Kent, as you know, but there's still a lot up there I don't know.

I won't be going up Linton Hill on a bike though. Having driven it many a time, it's far too main road for cycling on for my liking.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Yes you are spot on. Linton and the Sutton Vallence one are busy roads so they are a bit stressful. There are plenty others. Hunton is one of the harder ones as it has a long lead in up a slight incline. The rest range from 'is that it?' to a nice workout.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Just had a look great ride, chapeau.

It seems Leith Hill rather scuppered your chances of getting off dual carriageways.

We have 3 lovely straight, unused, routes up to Leith and Box so we can do a circular 80/100 miles while only being a few miles east or west from the journey up.

The ridge that contains Leith Hill also has Barhatch about 5 miles to the west, north of Cranleigh.
While the ridge to the North of the Guildford road, as you were heading east to Dorking, has 3 or 4 great climbs.
All of which are preferable to Box, which despite my bibbling is at least lovely and smooth.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Having PBed a couple of climbs this morning, I'm a little peeved that I can't see by how much by and where that might place me in % terms. I reckon I might have caned one after sneaking up it in the middle ring for the first time. I'm not that peeved to pay for find out ultimately.

Today's ride had it all. Oversleeping, roughly following the old flat faithful route with a few hills and new roads chucked in. We also rode in and out of a fukken monsoon. Dry as a bone for miles, power shower stinging rain, then bone dry roads again.

My hamstring is still giving me grief. I reckon I need a break off the bike. Fukk that.

If the creaking doesn't cure itself I might lose the plot though. I reckon its front wheel spokes but they all feel tight.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Having PBed a couple of climbs this morning, I'm a little peeved that I can't see by how much by and where that might place me in % terms. I reckon I might have caned one after sneaking up it in the middle ring for the first time. I'm not that peeved to pay for find out ultimately.

Today's ride had it all. Oversleeping, roughly following the old flat faithful route with a few hills and new roads chucked in. We also rode in and out of a fukken monsoon. Dry as a bone for miles, power shower stinging rain, then bone dry roads again.

My hamstring is still giving me grief. I reckon I need a break off the bike. Fukk that.

If the creaking doesn't cure itself I might lose the plot though. I reckon its front wheel spokes but they all feel tight.

Have you tried greasing all contact points at the drop outs? That's worked for me in the past.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'll give it a go. Its so random.

Anyone else loving the blueberry muffin nakd bar? Its a lovely snack. My favourite by some distance.

Take your wheels out. Clean up the scewers and drop outs. Dab of grease on all four drop outs before putting the wheels back on. Job's a good 'un :thumbsup:

Coconut Sesame Seed Snaps for me Clive.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I need advice.

Climbing.

There is nearly sixteen stone of me, so I know that I could lose a bit of weight and reap the benefits. However, I have always climbed seated. When I first took up cycling and lived in the Midlands, I could get away with that. Big now I live in Yorkshire, it's hilly everywhere!

Should I be devoting time to learn to climb out the saddle? Does it make that much of difference, or is it just a pro thing?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION]. Age might come into it. Shedding timber is the main thing I reckon. Since I shed a couple of stone I can spent longer out of the saddle. I also notice my legs now go into 'roller' mode when going uphill often.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I need advice.

Climbing.

There is nearly sixteen stone of me, so I know that I could lose a bit of weight and reap the benefits. However, I have always climbed seated. When I first took up cycling and lived in the Midlands, I could get away with that. Big now I live in Yorkshire, it's hilly everywhere!

Should I be devoting time to learn to climb out the saddle? Does it make that much of difference, or is it just a pro thing?

You already know the answer!!

It's not going to make too much difference esp with the extra work our legs have to do just keeping us out of the saddle.

If you really hate yourself you could brow sprint.
It won't help in anyway but the challenge might encourage you to not just sit in for the long haul, which is what I'll hazard a guess you are doing.

Pick a point, a hundred yards or more from the top of the climb.
Sprint the climb with everything you have but keep it up over the top and sprint the same distance down the other side.

As said it's brutal, properly brutal, but you might get a kick from the challenge.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I need advice.

Climbing.

I have a vague memory of hearing years ago that as a general rule you should stay seated and only get out the saddle when the gradient goes over 10%.

Which is of course....in general...a load of old bollox.

Do what feels best at the time I say. I prefer to mix it up, depending on how good I'm feeling.

Nothing quite beats 'dancing on the pedals' when you're feeling great and thinking you're Bertie though. :)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Maybe I'll chuck the bike on the turbo and see if I can get the technique nailed before trying it on the road!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here