Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit to Oscar

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Game turning moment was the sending off, blatantly obvious Lopez have to be replaced with Lua Lua at half time and Buckley looks knackered. We have a massive pitch and we don't use it, under Poyet we took too long to get it forward, now we are a bit to eager - hope that changes when Bridcutt gets back, our whole game needs tightening up, too many mistakes, too many poor balls Millwall were there to be taken apart.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I disagree and thought that Millwall were awful but dragged us down to their level, which disappointed me.

Fair enough. It's all about opinions. I didn't think Millwall were good (they weren't, not were we). Just thought Burnley were poorer.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Game turning moment was the sending off, blatantly obvious Lopez have to be replaced with Lua Lua at half time and Buckley looks knackered. We have a massive pitch and we don't use it, under Poyet we took too long to get it forward, now we are a bit to eager - hope that changes when Bridcutt gets back, our whole game needs tightening up, too many mistakes, too many poor balls Millwall were there to be taken apart.

I'm struggling to think of Lopez having ANY good games this season. Buckley was good against Burnley, and er that's it. I'd hoped he'd turned the corner last week.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
And that is precisely the point as, coming back from injury, neither could be risked from the start but what a difference they made !

Beyond that, Kaz made a difference though he was very wasteful with some of his shots (or were they shots ?).

Kaz's shots (when hit hard and low) create chances, he was the difference for me.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
To be fair, I thought Millwall were better than Burnley, who won at Derby today. Don't you just love the Championship?

I'm not convinced Millwall will be play off contenders but I do think they will prove to be a solid difficult to beat mid table side as the season progresses.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Just on way back - made subs early enough to make a difference unlike poyet, we were shit for 60 mins though
I have been trying for ages to explain to my little boy that substitutions need to be made early enough to have an effect.
Little sod believes me now that OG does it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm concerned. For large parts of the game we were woeful. No shape (where was the width?), piss poor passing and far too many long balls. Several players who should be doing much much better looked way off the pace. And now news that the club don't expect more signings before Monday deadline when it's blindingly obvious we need more creativity and another striker. Early days but right now Bloom's expectations of a top 6 finish look misguided.

There are several posts on this thread that I could quote - its seriously naive to expect a new manager to just pick up where the last one left off - he needs to get to know the players, the players need to get to know the system. Expectations of a top 6 finish has always been misguided, games like today were obviously going to happen. Lets get behind Oscar, not damage anyone's confidence and give him time to build a promotion-push next season, or maybe if we're lucky, in the second half of this one.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Expectations of a top 6 finish has always been misguided,.

Which is why I was surprised that TB said that he wouldn't be happy with a finish outside the top 6. IMO, a top 6 finish would be an amazing result; 8th - 12th is more realistic.

Yesterday: we were really poor in the first hour, with little energy, too many passes going astray and Ward getting kippered down our left. It really shouldn't take a goal for the opposition for us to start playing. MoM for me was Crofts; he made lots of lovely diagonal runs that weren't picked out, though Upson also had a great game. Leo's touch was poor in the first half, but he took his goal well. KLL and Andrews played really well...

donnygull

Aug 22, 2009
Doncaster,S. Yorks
Expectations of a top 6 finish has always been misguided, games like today were obviously going to happen. Lets get behind Oscar, not damage anyone's confidence and give him time to build a promotion-push next season, or maybe if we're lucky, in the second half of this one.[/QUOTE]

Yep, totally agree, however, I am concerned with OG's comments that he doesn't need a striker. Barnes is clearly not good enough even when fit and at the very least we should definitely have someone lined up on loan, especially after the bad news re CMS ?!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Please remember there is now 15 day break before the real season starts : as the legendary Fabulous Off Brothers in The Wick would say
'This is our Warm Up Set, We get warm & you get upset'

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yep, totally agree, however, I am concerned with OG's comments that he doesn't need a striker. Barnes is clearly not good enough even when fit and at the very least we should definitely have someone lined up on loan, especially after the bad news re CMS ?!

Barnes, clearly not good enough. Incidentally, do you know how many players have scored more goals for Brighton during the last 30 years?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'm concerned. For large parts of the game we were woeful. No shape (where was the width?), piss poor passing and far too many long balls. Several players who should be doing much much better looked way off the pace. And now news that the club don't expect more signings before Monday deadline when it's blindingly obvious we need more creativity and another striker. Early days but right now Bloom's expectations of a top 6 finish look misguided.

I concur. Big Leo was feeding off scraps until the substitutions happened & was coming deeper and deeper in search of the ball. It didn't come as a major surprise that he ended up snatching us a point once the level of service & creativity improved drastically. God help us if he was to pick up a bad injury any time soon. If Tony Bloom believes this current group of players will match last year's achievements, he's living in Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If Tony Bloom believes this current group of players will match last year's achievements, he's living in Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Stronger squad in an even more competitive league than last year with one or two positions looking (for now) a bit thin. Loans could fill the gaps.

Get used to it, loans are the future as rich clubs with Prem revenues cream off every player with potential then magnanimously lend them back to teams in the league where these guys should be playing in the first place. Clubs without sky money won't be able to compete for even average players from now on.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Stronger squad in an even more competitive league than last year with one or two positions looking (for now) a bit thin. Loans could fill the gaps.

Get used to it, loans are the future as rich clubs with Prem revenues cream off every player with potential then magnanimously lend them back to teams in the league where these guys should be playing in the first place. Clubs without sky money won't be able to compete for even average players from now on.

Stronger squad? Well I haven't seen anything so far that would indicate that - although admittedly we have a number of crocked players at present. Still, I agree with you about getting a couple of quality loanees in. Let's hope it happens asap & they make a noticable difference, cos I'm buggered if I can see how we'll have a successful season without reinforcements. :shrug:

Centurion

Sep 2, 2012
Why do we have to go behind to start playing though. We need to be positive at home and go at teams early doors like we did when they went ahead. Frustrating.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Yep, totally agree, however, I am concerned with OG's comments that he doesn't need a striker. Barnes is clearly not good enough even when fit

So, here's someone who didn't go to either the Blackpool or Arsenal games last season. Look them up on Seagulls Player and then review this post.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Stronger squad? Well I haven't seen anything so far that would indicate that - although admittedly we have a number of crocked players at present. Still, I agree with you about getting a couple of quality loanees in. Let's hope it happens asap & they make a noticable difference, cos I'm buggered if I can see how we'll have a successful season without reinforcements. :shrug:

How is it weaker? Vicente never played. Bridge was brilliant but Ward looks like a very able replacement if not quite in the same category. Andrews looked superb when he came on yesterday - and we've added Agustein as well. They've replaced Hammond and Dicker. For me the squad IS stronger, but some players are not up to speed (notably Spanish Dave and Buckers) and we have a pile of players injured (Barnes, Orlandi and Bridcutt being the most notable). Good subs yesterday by Gus - Orlandi made a difference, KLL was a threat and Andrews drove the game forward like Ince never good. And two of those three should have been starters if fit.

This is a stronger and more able squad - but my worry is that there are (even) more teams in this league who could take points off us this season. And that's going to be our issue - even when OG gets the team playing his way with more consistency.

I love Calde but as last season, he gets found out as a defender. We need a right back (not convinced we'll ever see Bruno at his best again). Another striking option would be good but expensive - didn't we all think that Solly was a potential solution a few weeks ago?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here