Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit to Oscar

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
There are several posts on this thread that I could quote - its seriously naive to expect a new manager to just pick up where the last one left off - he needs to get to know the players, the players need to get to know the system. Expectations of a top 6 finish has always been misguided, games like today were obviously going to happen. Lets get behind Oscar, not damage anyone's confidence and give him time to build a promotion-push next season, or maybe if we're lucky, in the second half of this one.

It's early days, of course it is, but I couldn't really see what the system was yesterday and the form of some senior players is a concern, for me. I haven't singled out anyone but if Oscar wants us to get the ball forward more quickly ( and I wouldn't disagree with) we need to think how best to do that with the players we have rather than just pump a series of aimless long balls which were easily picked off by a very average Millwall side.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If you want to get the ball forward quickly, then you need to use the pace you have in the side, which Buckley aside is not much. Lopez was poor yesterday for the second game in a row and Andrews has far more experience of this league than Ince(although he is deffo one for the future). They are the obvious two changes for me next game. Orlandi for Lopez and Andrews for Ince. Unless of course we sign a superstar in the next 36hrs.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
How is it weaker? Vicente never played. Bridge was brilliant but Ward looks like a very able replacement if not quite in the same category. Andrews looked superb when he came on yesterday - and we've added Agustein as well. They've replaced Hammond and Dicker. For me the squad IS stronger, but some players are not up to speed (notably Spanish Dave and Buckers) and we have a pile of players injured (Barnes, Orlandi and Bridcutt being the most notable). Good subs yesterday by Gus - Orlandi made a difference, KLL was a threat and Andrews drove the game forward like Ince never good. And two of those three should have been starters if fit.

This is a stronger and more able squad - but my worry is that there are (even) more teams in this league who could take points off us this season. And that's going to be our issue - even when OG gets the team playing his way with more consistency.

I love Calde but as last season, he gets found out as a defender. We need a right back (not convinced we'll ever see Bruno at his best again). Another striking option would be good but expensive - didn't we all think that Solly was a potential solution a few weeks ago?

I like the Freudian slip there, H. :lol:

With regard to your belief that we have a stronger & more able squad this year, the proof of the pudding is in the proverbial eating - & I am yet to see a large number of our players performing in a way thus far that leads me to that conclusion. The passing has been mostly sloppy; the nous & creativity largely lacking; and the support for Ulloa poor; & the options available for the player with the ball - seriously lacking. Perhaps it is a case of giving the Manager & his charges the necessary time to 'gel' & form a cohesive team (and get the injured players back in contention), but I'm genuinely starting to have my doubts. We've looked stale since the start of the season & I'd like to see a few quality additions to shake things up & awaken us from our sloth. Maybe we do already have the talent within our squad to climb our way towards the Play Off places, but I remain unconvinced. Time will tell I guess...

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I think that we are waiting to see how the first few months pan out, We might resign someone to keep some of our impatient fans and JCLs happy but I think the club needs to check where we are financially and plan to get promotion in January via the playoffs a la Palace.

Its a fair plan - With the Gus situation and FFP Bloom is bound to be trying to make a calculated gamble and he needs till January to see what OG can do with what he has got and to make sure we don't get hit by FFP AND not making promotion at the same time, if that happens we could be in big trouble next season. It might even be worth facing a fine if we made the prem because I can't see the league banning transfers to a club that wins promotion.

Its a real dilemma, if Bloom gives OG the budget and he blows it we get hit by falling revenues and will face FFP, if he doesn't back OG and we Blow it we get hit by falling revenues and the possibility of FFP.
If we spend and sign players now we might not be able to sign in January because of the fear of FFP later on and miss out again, If we don't spend now and wait until January we might have no chance whoever we sign.

I'm concerned - the team lack shape, players don't seem switched on, the signings we have made don't seem in line with what the coach would sign and I am worried that communication between the players and coaches especially during games is failing.
We may have picked the right manager at the wrong time or even the wrong manager at a time we needed stability and consistency. Promotion to the prem in recent years has been achieved by managers who signed hard working game changing players already playing in our leagues.

The managers all are from our existing league system, Adkins, Rodgers, Mackay, Pulis, Warnock, Lambert, Allardyce, Bruce, McDermott Jewell, Macarthy, Pardew Boothroyd Davis, Coyle, Jones Brown, Hughton and ........ Holloway. The only manager I can think that is slightly different from those names is Di Matteo and he has only managed here anyway.OG may be a great manager but the odds are against him and that is my worry. FFP isn't going to help this situation so its a bit of a gamble for us and him now.

We will know more after games against the promotion favourites and no need to panic yet but we need to resolve stuff right across the club before xmas

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I'm concerned - the team lack shape, players don't seem switched on, the signings we have made don't seem in line with what the coach would sign and I am worried that communication between the players and coaches especially during games is failing.
The shape is fine, you can see they know where they're meant to be lining up , problem yesterday was lack of understanding of how to move when we had the ball and some below par performances. Ward scared the life out of me first half defensively, but was better second. Thought Ince was a bit slow moving the ball and with a lot of the play going through him allowed Millwall to adjust defensively.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It's early days, of course it is, but I couldn't really see what the system was yesterday and the form of some senior players is a concern, for me. I haven't singled out anyone but if Oscar wants us to get the ball forward more quickly ( and I wouldn't disagree with) we need to think how best to do that with the players we have rather than just pump a series of aimless long balls which were easily picked off by a very average Millwall side.

It takes time, just as it took time for Gus. Five games is no time at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here