Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS wants out?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
THE most frustrating aspect of this season, by a mile, has been our total failure to play to CMS' main strength - his pace. It would be great to occasionally see a dynamic through ball played or even, dare I say, a flighted ball over the top. The only real time I have seen an incisive through ball attempted was by Vicente.

D

Deleted member 22389

THE most frustrating aspect of this season, by a mile, has been our total failure to play to CMS' main strength - his pace. It would be great to occasionally see a dynamic through ball played or even, dare I say, a flighted ball over the top. The only real time I have seen an incisive through ball attempted was by Vicente.

And once Vicente is back I really think CMS will get more chances.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Brezovan played a quick ball over the top to him. Davies came out to the edge of the area to claim it - there was a loud claim for handball, but I was too far away to judge.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
CMS is constantly looking for balls over the top, they never come and typically he has to chase the ball to one of the flanks to support a whinger leaving the penalty box empty.

Brezovan played a quick ball over the top to him. Davies came out to the edge of the area to claim it - there was a loud claim for handball, but I was too far away to judge.

Defo handball - should have been sent off along with Lambert, Harding and emmmmmm..............Hammond !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Before this season I'm sure the only thing I ever saw CMS do was get behind a defence, running onto a through ball, and calmly slot home before being mobbed by his celebrating Peterborough team mates.

Has he done that once yet with us?

I think not. Lazy sod.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Before this season I'm sure the only thing I ever saw CMS do was get behind a defence, running onto a through ball, and calmly slot home before being mobbed by his celebrating Peterborough team mates.

Has he done that once yet with us?

I think not. Lazy sod.

Yup. And just like back when we had Holroyd (not comparing him to CMS) we are a team who DO NOT DO THROUGH BALLS.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He's not going to get loads of chances at this level, so whilst I can sympathise that he is isolated for long spells, he needs to be less profligate with the chances that DO come his way. A Premiership striker would have tucked away that Burnley double chance, even if he had been a lonely figure for the previous 89 minutes. At the moment, that is why CMS is in the Championship.

In any case, it's not as if Leicester are pulling up trees, and would he have started regularly for West Ham? I reckon he loves it at the Amex, and am hopeful of more chances coming his way when our fitness problems sort themselves out. Vicente is the key, IMO.

Tend to agree with this.

I'm reluctant to criticise him as I think he's fantastic, great attitude and commitment to the team and unbelievable pace and stamina. I would definitely not want to lose him and ideally we would have created more chances but I do also think he should have taken some of the easy chances that have come his way this season as an international striker who wants to be in the Premier League. There have been others but off the top of my head he has had chances against Reading x 2, Burnley x 2, and the one at Leicester that he SHOULD have scored and other less easy chances that he may have done better with.

When we have less injuries/suspensions and a more settled side with Buckley, Lua Lua and hopefully Vicente playing and creating more chances I fully expect him to score more but I do think he need's to be more clinical in front of goal if he wants to play at the top level. I don't buy the excuse that its because he is on his own and does so much work for the team that he misses the chances, top strikers should bury easy chances.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
We must also remember CMS was bought to play up top with Hoskins. Im sure the idea would have been for CMS to play just behind Hoskins (in the hole as they say) and play him in constantly whilst taking any chances that came his way.

Obviously we haven't been able to see if this would work yet so he's been forced to play up top on his own most of the season.

CMS has been asked to do a ton of work already this season and he cant be faulted in my opinion.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
We must also remember CMS was bought to play up top with Hoskins. Im sure the idea would have been for CMS to play just behind Hoskins (in the hole as they say) and play him in constantly whilst taking any chances that came his way.

Obviously we haven't been able to see if this would work yet so he's been forced to play up top on his own most of the season.

CMS has been asked to do a ton of work already this season and he cant be faulted in my opinion.

100% this

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Interesting debate about getting the best from CMS,

but it looks like NSC is actually in agreement that this rumour is total and utter bollocks ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The last 20 mins against Burnley we were definitely playing to his strengths and he looked very dangerous, shame he missed what was almost a double sitter at the death.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting debate about getting the best from CMS,

but it looks like NSC is actually in agreement that this rumour is total and utter bollocks ?

People can agree it's likely to be bollocks. I doubt there are many on here who could say that with absolute certainty.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010

Oh yes Hoskins forgot about him wounder how far away friom a game he is?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
People are saying our style of play, or playing up front on his own doesn't suit him, but it seemed to suit him fine at the start of the season when he looked dynamite.

Of course he wants to run at players, and get in behind defences, the issue with that is controlling the midfield and getting players forward in support of him. If Sparrow can start doing that, and Forster-Caskey can do that, and we keep playing Buckley and LuaLua, then that shouldn't be a problem.

He has missed a few chances lately and that is down to him, Burnley, Reading, Coventry, but you're talking about one chance a game really with runs before that where he hardly gets a sniff for two or three games, so it's not totally surprising that he didn't finish as well as he could have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here