Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS wants out?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is there really a rumour to this effect, or was it a post on footballrumours, pub chat "he cant be enjoying the lack of supply", or this thread starting the rumour?

He'll want out when a Prem club come sniffing offering £30k a week a £mill signing on fee. He's a pro footballer and he'll want to play at the highest level, with the biggest wedge for as long as he can. If the Prem club also offer us £5m+ he'll be off. But I've heard he's actually very happy at the Albion!

No way would a Prem club come in for CMS when there's Murray up the road. He's bound to go to United though, as he's a manure fan.
CMS is more in the Keane mould, so Tottenham.
Elphick for Arsenal of course, and all the rest of our squad to Chelsea.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
is there really a rumour to this effect, or was it a post on footballrumours, pub chat "he cant be enjoying the lack of supply", or this thread starting the rumour?

Its probably a Palace WUM posting it on transfer sites, and people on here take the bate and are suddently in the know.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Exactly. I can only think of the Cov chance and the couplwe against Reading and Burnley at the death that he should have maybe done better.

But other than that the poor sod has had to almost cross it then get on the end of it himself while Gus plays his negative tactics.
He's not going to get loads of chances at this level, so whilst I can sympathise that he is isolated for long spells, he needs to be less profligate with the chances that DO come his way. A Premiership striker would have tucked away that Burnley double chance, even if he had been a lonely figure for the previous 89 minutes. At the moment, that is why CMS is in the Championship.

In any case, it's not as if Leicester are pulling up trees, and would he have started regularly for West Ham? I reckon he loves it at the Amex, and am hopeful of more chances coming his way when our fitness problems sort themselves out. Vicente is the key, IMO.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I, for one, agree with this. He is likely to be fed up with himself for missing good chances as much anything else

I don't necessarily disagree with you and Gritt but I think the reason he isn't converting the chances is that he's snatching at them too quickly, he's getting so little service he's getting too anxious with the ones he does get. He should be getting 5 or 6 decent chances a game and then could be thinking he might put 1 or 2 away .. as it is he's only getting 1, maybe 2 opportunities and needing to convert 100% is going to put huge pressure on ... result = bugger all

Make any sense?

We'll never know for sure, but if someone told me CMS was pissed off I wouldn't be surprised ... publicly however, as in the applause he gives the fans doesn't, really mean bugger all except he's a good Pro and knows the regard we all have for him.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
To be fair 6 goals isnt a great return for 2.5 m and he is missing some sitters. Be suprised if he did go we would recoup the transfer fee .

Obviously hope he doesnt

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm not going to flame you for an honest opinion. I'm sure CMS is his own sternest critic, but what I'd say in his defence is that sometimes he's not where he/you would like him to be simply because he's having to do a lot of extra hold-up play, tracking back and general running around. He doesn't have the luxury of drifting around and waiting to snatch a killer chance.

But as a lone striker, if he isn't there who is? In the case of the drilled cross from Lualua, it was no-one.

As I said, I do understand why he's doing it, but the trouble is, if teh lone striker drops back to help create a chance, there is no-one up there if he does indeed help create something. There have been times when this has come out of frustration, and a feeling that staying up top will result in him looking like he's doing nothing, but when we are playing well, when we are creating chances - and for me Lualua has been far more creative and successful than he's getting credit for - CMS has been too slow to appreciate this and switch back into the lone striker, up top, hanging on the shoulder of the last man type player than he naturally appears to be. And his finishing has been poor.

I'm not saying it's all his fault, not at all, but I just feel we have all got into the habit of merely "blaming the system" to the point where no blame gets applied to CMS at all, and that's not right.

If I were helping CMS in training, I'd fire balls at his feet at all speeds from all angles in the area and get him used to burying them with no time to control and from all sorts of awkward bounces etc.
Then, get him to keep the ball at his feet negotiating a tight mazy course where the ball mustn't be more than 18 inches away from his foot, and always under control.

In the past watching The Albion, I have had cause to wonder "don't we train?" Mostly under McGhee though, he was a proper useless lardarse

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There were 2 glaring moments vs Saints for me when he simply wasn't where he should have been. As great as it was to see JFC score that goal, it was a rebound off the keeper who couldn't hold a KLL shot ..... but isn't that exactly the sort of chance you expect your lone striker to be all over.

I don't have anything against the rest of your post, but I remember there being a player, who I'm pretty sure was CMS who was only a foot or two to the left when JFC made the move for the follow up. He was there, but a team mate was a little closer and got there first and he made himself available should jfc decide to play it to him instead of shooting.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Pretty much every time he gets the ball, he is facing our goal keeper. If you look at the goals he scored for Peterborough, he is running on to passes or getting on the end of crosses in the 6 yard box. We give him pretty much none of this service.

We are meant to be building the team around him, so at least play to his strengths.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Pretty much every time he gets the ball, he is facing our goal keeper. If you look at the goals he scored for Peterborough, he is running on to passes or getting on the end of crosses in the 6 yard box. We give him pretty much none of this service.

We are meant to be building the team around him, so at least play to his strengths.

One hundred percent this. This is what we have to rectify, and once it is, he will start scoring for fun. Hopefully by the 31st.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
All strikers lose their mojo sometime, even Wardy and Zamora but suddenly regain it. Sooner (hopefully) or later CMS's radar will be spot on and those frustrating near misses will be on target. He'll get a hat-trick that will see him back on top form.

Can't fault him for effort. It's hardly his fault that the team has been disrupted by so many injuries and maybe Gus's tactics haven't suited his attributes. Can't help but think that if Hoskins had been fit they would have a hat full of goals each by now.

CMS deserves our support. I get a buzz when he gets on the ball, keep the faith.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I posted the initial question as it was tweeted by none other than NSC.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't have anything against the rest of your post, but I remember there being a player, who I'm pretty sure was CMS who was only a foot or two to the left when JFC made the move for the follow up. He was there, but a team mate was a little closer and got there first and he made himself available should jfc decide to play it to him instead of shooting.

You could be right, as I do remember him being the first to celebrate with JFC, so he couldn't have been far away. Obviously you can't always be in teh right place at the right time, but my point is more about the constant defence of him that he's no getting chances, when the truth is, there are chances, but he's not in the right place often enough when they come along.

D

Deleted member 22389

All strikers lose their mojo sometime, even Wardy and Zamora but suddenly regain it. Sooner (hopefully) or later CMS's radar will be spot on and those frustrating near misses will be on target. He'll get a hat-trick that will see him back on top form.

Can't fault him for effort. It's hardly his fault that the team has been disrupted by so many injuries and maybe Gus's tactics haven't suited his attributes. Can't help but think that if Hoskins had been fit they would have a hat full of goals each by now.

CMS deserves our support. I get a buzz when he gets on the ball, keep the faith.

Correct, he has hardly had top notch service. Never seen a player work so bloody hard as CMS, and I have never wanted a player to succeed as much as CMS.

God knows what is going to happen to these teams once he starts to get some proper service and has 10-15 chances. May be this is why we need Vicente back and playing where he can cut in and supply that killer pass.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
He'll want out when a Prem club come sniffing offering £30k a week a £mill signing on fee. He's a pro footballer and he'll want to play at the highest level, with the biggest wedge for as long as he can. If the Prem club also offer us £5m+ he'll be off. But I've heard he's actually very happy at the Albion!

If a Premier League club was interested, CMS would have to be doing a lot more than the current "Runaround like a headless chicken" than we are seeing at the moment.

When was his last goal?????????

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

and when he was scoring goals for fun at Peterbrough they weren't playing him as a lone striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here