Clement watch......

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Lesser Albion'? You're either trying to wind up any Baggies that may glance at this thread or in serious need of a history lesson.
What do you think?

There's only one true Albion, it's just a shame we're not a good as Lesser Albion.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Speaking about moving into management to Pete Jensen in today's Independent, Clement said: "It's too soon. A few opportunities have come my way. But this is a difficult place to leave. It's a great club, a great city, a great tradition and it gives you the opportunity to win things."

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Sunday Supplement yesterday had most of the journalists in agreement that WBA insisting that they retain their current coaching set-up might put some prospective managers off. Pepe Mel had to work with a coaching resource he hadn't requested and didn't know. Consensus was that to attract Clement, they'd need to at least meet him half way and allow him to bring some of his own staff in. Resistance on this from WBA could be a deal breaker.

Really, what the hell do I know? We'll see what we'll see and unless it's Worzel Holloway who's appointed I'm sure we'll all get behind him.

West Brom appointed Terry Burton as Technical Director last week so they must be doing something new with the coaching

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sunday Supplement yesterday had most of the journalists in agreement that WBA insisting that they retain their current coaching set-up might put some prospective managers off. Pepe Mel had to work with a coaching resource he hadn't requested and didn't know. Consensus was that to attract Clement, they'd need to at least meet him half way and allow him to bring some of his own staff in. Resistance on this from WBA could be a deal breaker.

Really, what the hell do I know? We'll see what we'll see and unless it's Worzel Holloway who's appointed I'm sure we'll all get behind him.
That's doesn't make any sense.

Clement IS THE STAFF he doesn't have a team to bring.

Parachuting straight into a settled backroom would be ideal for Clement.
He'd then have a base to work from and move forward with those that share his philosophy.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Speaking about moving into management to Pete Jensen in today's Independent, Clement said: "It's too soon. A few opportunities have come my way. But this is a difficult place to leave. It's a great club, a great city, a great tradition and it gives you the opportunity to win things."

On the other hand a short article in today's The Times headed 'Ambitious Clement eyes role as No 1' says that he is ready to strike out alone and is planning a career in management, quoting Clement as follows:

''I think it's soon, it will be soon ..........a few opportunities have come my way, but this is a difficult place to leave...............I don't rule out anything. It's more than likely to be in England.......Carlo has given a lot of confidence in me and given me the belief that one day I can do it.........but he hasn't kicked me out the door yet''

No mention of specific enquiries for him and those quotes seem to cover most options, including staying where he is.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Was the next quote "but Brighton is better and I look forward to the challenge"?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
With W/Brom his remit will be to stay in the premiership and that is likely to mean fighting relegation, which could be a challenge, however it will not allow him to build and develop a squad.
At Brighton he will have a great new training ground, he will be working with youngsters who are knocking on the door for England, it will be a challenge for him as a coach/manager to keep our youngsters progression going forward. I do believe we offer the best challenge to any manager. Look at Brighton and see a club that needs to step up to the next level, will look good on the CV. W/Brom can only offer medico racy and the sack.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
What do you think?

There's only one true Albion, it's just a shame we're not a good as Lesser Albion.

WBA are better supported, bigger club, richer history, in the top league with better known players. We are the Lesser Albion....by a long way. In a way Burton Albion must feel the same way about us. We are not the Lesser Albion, West Brom are our bigger brother....good real football club.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I agree with all this, but it all sounds strangely familiar. Substitute the name Oscar Garcia for Paul Clement and it raises the question: do we want another manager that sees us as a stepping-stone and will be off when next season ends? I was fully behind Oscar, but viewed him as a long-term project; in other words, his managerial skills would bear fruit not in his first season, but in his second and/or third. I view Clement in exactly the same light.

Of course not but why should lightening strike twice; they're not clones are they?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
WBA are better supported, bigger club, richer history, in the top league with better known players. We are the Lesser Albion....by a long way. In a way Burton Albion must feel the same way about us. We are not the Lesser Albion, West Brom are our bigger brother....good real football club.

WBA average attendance 2013-14: 25,193.
BHA average attendance 2013-14: 27,276

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
With W/Brom his remit will be to stay in the premiership and that is likely to mean fighting relegation, which could be a challenge, however it will not allow him to build and develop a squad.
At Brighton he will have a great new training ground, he will be working with youngsters who are knocking on the door for England, it will be a challenge for him as a coach/manager to keep our youngsters progression going forward. I do believe we offer the best challenge to any manager. Look at Brighton and see a club that needs to step up to the next level, will look good on the CV. W/Brom can only offer medico racy and the sack.

If he's used to dealing with top football stars he's not necessarily going to want to work with youngsters - surely he's had all his success with getting already proven players to perform better not forming a team out of the development squad.

When you look at it this way he might not be right for us

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
WBA average attendance 2013-14: 25,193.
BHA average attendance 2013-14: 27,276

They play in a 27k capacity ground so have much less empty seats. Also consider in that they have a fair few other clubs within a very close distance. Historically, they are a bigger club than us.

They are the "other" Albion to me though, but they are miles ahead of us......until we potentially swap places next Summer.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
That's just last season though............cant be bothered to trawl through years of stats but I bet we only had better support in only a handful of seasons. Is that 25k average near their capacity?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
personally feel that most people would opt for the premiership club if on offer. I hope we have not be hanging around waiting for Clement only for him to turn us down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
'Lesser Albion'? You're either trying to wind up any Baggies that may glance at this thread or in serious need of a history lesson.
You have completely missed his point. He was simply saying that, as a Brighton fan, all other clubs in the world are lesser in his mind. He wasn't saying that WBA are smaller than us, or that they have less history :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You have completely missed his point. He was simply saying that, as a Brighton fan, all other clubs in the world are lesser in his mind. He wasn't saying that WBA are smaller than us, or that they have less history :facepalm:
The things you have to explain!!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
todays Sun, nothing to suggest he's leaving yet and especially to here

DSC_0186.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports