Clement watch......

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Theres a piece in the Guardian today where he says it would be difficult to leave but also say probably next place will be a managers job in the UK and most likely outside the premiership.... hmmm

However if we have narrowed to a shortlist doe sit not sound as if we have let them come to us rather than we go to them. Sure Clement hasn't applied for the job but may be tempted if we went for him.

Doesn't sound like we have though.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
If he is interviewed he is interested, if not he is staying put. Has he been interviewed yet?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
If he is interviewed he is interested, if not he is staying put. Has he been interviewed yet?

Anyone seen him buying rock on the Palace pier yet or asking for direction to the AMEX?

Wot about our fleet of taxi drivers from Gatwick?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Given that we are not [yet] a top flight club, aren't we ALWAYS going to be a stepping stone for any manager. We are either his/her route to a job at a mid to low premier league club or we find one that get's us promoted and he/she moves up to a upper middle PL club. Let's be realistic. Like our best players, keeping a manger for more than 2 years will probably represent a failure rather than a success given where we are.

I disagree. There are certain managers that will view us as a stepping-stone: Gus, Oscar and, probably, Clement and Sherwood. There are other managers who have already served as managers and can justifiably claim to have been let down by chairmen. Of these, I'm thinking of Mackay, Clarke and, possibly, Sherwood. This latter group will be more minded to stick with a club and show loyalty to it, and wouldn't jump ship at the earliest opportunity precisely because they have experienced such chairmen in the past, and are wiser to and more sceptical of their siren calls. Of current Championship managers, Steve McLaren would be a prime candidate that falls into such a category. West Brom, for instance, might be interested in him, but he'd probably rather stick it out at Derby.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I disagree. There are certain managers that will view us as a stepping-stone: Gus, Oscar and, probably, Clement and Sherwood. There are other managers who have already served as managers and can justifiably claim to have been let down by chairmen. Of these, I'm thinking of Mackay, Clarke and, possibly, Sherwood. This latter group will be more minded to stick with a club and show loyalty to it, and wouldn't jump ship at the earliest opportunity precisely because they have experienced such chairmen in the past, and are wiser to and more sceptical of their siren calls. Of current Championship managers, Steve McLaren would be a prime candidate that falls into such a category. West Brom, for instance, might be interested in him, but he'd probably rather stick it out at Derby.

We do disagree here. The idea of finding a loyal manager who will stick with a club through thick and thin is, to my mind, akin to believing that unicorn sh*t is good for roses. Yes, you are probably right, a manager who would show loyalty and ignore the market of chopping & changing teams (and getting big payoffs) is what we really need. But in all honesty, I don't believe that they really exist - at the level we are at.

They all make noises about difficult chairmen but I don't believe there is one among the current generation that actually believe the grass is greener elsewhere (and will still be greener when they get there!). These are, in the main, intelligent men who are among the best in the their field and the average contract is about 12m, with a big settlement at the end. Why would they not be happy playing musical clubs and making all the right noises about consistency and board support and youth progression. Less experienced managers working up from the lower divisions have a much greater loyalty to their clubs because they have less options (and in many cases young families that they don't want to uproot every 12m) and the top elite (Fergie, Wenger, et al.) would only ever be moving sideways.

Tony did a lot to start a change of culture in refusing to just settle with Gus in the first instance and go down the legal route (at a cost to us I think, but for the greater good). More of the same attitude and a different breed of manager will prevail, but at this moment, let's just get someone who can do the job for, say, 2 years and then plan for both of us to be moving on.

Serial monogamy is what we should crave. Gus was a tart, flirting with anyone and everyone. Oscar was afraid of commitment. Let's just find 'a nice girl' who we can be happy with for a couple of years without pre-planning lifelong commitments.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would that be the Steve McLaren who'll start the season as Southampton's manager?

Why would a manager wait to be sacked from a 'lesser' job, when he is being courted by a 'bigger' job, that'll he'll eventually get the sack from, but be considerably better off from the experience.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Just to keep it neat and in one (or two) threads. This is kinda being ignored by many, but surely if Naylor said this we'd be all over it?
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...on-Talksport&p=6372296&viewfull=1#post6372296

Chris Lepkowski ‏@chrislepkowski 16h
Paul Clement is unlikely to be considered as #wba boss at this stage of the club's search.

This is another reason why I think we're still favourites (and has been agreed).

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Just a small point regarding Clement and our vacancy...

Assuming there is interest on our part which it appears there is. How does this come about? It seems unlikely (albeit not impossible) that TB and DB thought "hmm, what about the assistant at Real Madrid, I wonder if he is looking for a managerial position and would swap one of the world's biggest clubs for us?"

It would seem rather more likely that his agent/representative has been contacting English clubs who have or are likely soon to have a position saying that he is potentially in the market for a move. And therefore his interview would seem to either a) make little sense or b) be part of a bargaining plot.

The family ties would seem to make WBA a more obvious port of call but from what I understand of the finance there the new man could have it all on to avoid relegation next season. This may not be the ideal scenario for an ambitious manager to be. That said, is our position any more attractive? Certainly Oscar seemed to think not. All very tricky...

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We do disagree here. The idea of finding a loyal manager who will stick with a club through thick and thin is, to my mind, akin to believing that unicorn sh*t is good for roses. Yes, you are probably right, a manager who would show loyalty and ignore the market of chopping & changing teams (and getting big payoffs) is what we really need. But in all honesty, I don't believe that they really exist - at the level we are at.

They all make noises about difficult chairmen but I don't believe there is one among the current generation that actually believe the grass is greener elsewhere (and will still be greener when they get there!). These are, in the main, intelligent men who are among the best in the their field and the average contract is about 12m, with a big settlement at the end. Why would they not be happy playing musical clubs and making all the right noises about consistency and board support and youth progression. Less experienced managers working up from the lower divisions have a much greater loyalty to their clubs because they have less options (and in many cases young families that they don't want to uproot every 12m) and the top elite (Fergie, Wenger, et al.) would only ever be moving sideways.

Tony did a lot to start a change of culture in refusing to just settle with Gus in the first instance and go down the legal route (at a cost to us I think, but for the greater good). More of the same attitude and a different breed of manager will prevail, but at this moment, let's just get someone who can do the job for, say, 2 years and then plan for both of us to be moving on.

Serial monogamy is what we should crave. Gus was a tart, flirting with anyone and everyone. Oscar was afraid of commitment. Let's just find 'a nice girl' who we can be happy with for a couple of years without pre-planning lifelong commitments.

The average life span of any manager is 18 months. Russell Slade went from us to Orient and is now the 4th longest serving manager in the 4 divisions.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

If there were unicorns, their droppings would be good for roses.
Broadly, I agree with everything else you say here, apart from the fact that you paint too stark a picture. Ever heard of Dario Gradi, for instance? And -- contrary to what Stat Brother says -- I still think Steve McLaren is a good example, and will stick my neck out and say that he'll be Derby's manager come the start of the season.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The average life span of any manager is 18 months. Russell Slade went from us to Orient and is now the 4th longest serving manager in the 4 divisions.

Never looked at the detailed figures but I'll bet if you segment the list into divisions and split further into top half, bottom half - then you'll have something close to a straight line reducing as you approach the top of the PL, with a little kick up at the very end.

If there were unicorns, their droppings would be good for roses.
Broadly, I agree with everything else you say here, apart from the fact that you paint too stark a picture. Ever heard of Dario Gradi, for instance? And -- contrary to what Stat Brother says -- I still think Steve McLaren is a good example, and will stick my neck out and say that he'll be Derby's manager come the start of the season.

I do believe the view is generally stark - I will openly admit that I have a stark view of many aspects of the game. I remember the days when it was normal for a manager and a club were virtually the same thing for years on end and think the entire sport would be better if we could find a way back, but unfortunately, managers are now as mercenary as the players (in general - there will always be one or two exceptions) and that two full years of consistency is something to be treasured as a rare treat! (And being really negative, I think it will get worse before it gets better!)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Never looked at the detailed figures but I'll bet if you segment the list into divisions and split further into top half, bottom half - then you'll have something close to a straight line reducing as you approach the top of the PL, with a little kick up at the very end.

I do believe the view is generally stark - I will openly admit that I have a stark view of many aspects of the game. I remember the days when it was normal for a manager and a club were virtually the same thing for years on end and think the entire sport would be better if we could find a way back, but unfortunately, managers are now as mercenary as the players (in general - there will always be one or two exceptions) and that two full years of consistency is something to be treasured as a rare treat! (And being really negative, I think it will get worse before it gets better!)

This would all suggest that Gus was positively saintly, according to your criteria...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports