Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Were a big club. Not a big club right now.

• Won the European Cup over 40 years ago.
  • Runners up in the FA Cup and League Cup almost 30 years ago.
  • Out of the top flight for 21 years.
  • Most recent honour "2nd in League One", in 2007/08.
  • Average attendance last season less than 22,000.

Not even sure they were ever a big club. They have spent more seasons outside the top flight in their history, than in it. ( 61 outside...56 in top flight ) Outside of the Clough era ( 1975 to 1993 ) when everyone remembers two European Cups, a League title and four League cups, they won ONE FA CUP IN 137 YEARS.
Posters on here are suggesting that Forest are bigger than Leeds and Villa. I assume thats the Villa with 7 league titles, 7 FAC, 5 League Cups, 1 European Cup, 3 more European trophies and the second longest spell in English top flight football, 106 seasons.
Leeds, unlike Forest, have spent more seasons in the top flight than outside it ( 49/43 ) as have Derby ( 65/56 ) and Newcastle ( 89/28 )
Forest are a medium sized club, who had one good spell in their history and have done nothing else of note either side of it.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Historically they were big and would provide England with quite a few internationals. Time has moved on though, like with other once "big" clubs like Sheffield Wednesday. These days they are a solid Championship team but I'd imagine a promotion would see the return of sell out crowds at their stadium.

Are they a big club right now? No, but they do have the potential to improve. I can't ever see them getting back into Europe again though unless they can attract an owner similar to those at Manchester City or Chelsea.

Which is where we are at now. Premier league club 30k crowds on the up, BUT we are in the same position as Forest, very slim chance of competing in Europe. The difference is Forest have competed in Europe and won the most prestigious competition, thats why they are deemed a bigger club than us, call it past glories if you must but at least they have past glories.

Lets have a poll :D

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wouldn't matter if they were struggling around League Two right now. I'd still have them above Chelsea who bought their status with foreign money.

Forest retained the European Cup. To put that in perspective, only 7 other teams have achieved that; Real Madrid, Benfica, Inter Milan, Ajax, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, AC Milan.

Seriously, they have their place in footballing folklore. Past achievements or not, they are a big club on that legend alone.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This isn't really a question of who is bigger than who - it doesn't matter. The OP appeared to be calling out Chris Hughton for his comment, whereas what he said was fully justified - Forest are a big club, not the biggest by a long shot these days, but still reasonably big. They spent most of their time in the top two divisions, 50 years plus of that in the top flight, have won trophies, have a decent ground and have a realistic chance of being in or around the play off places in the Championship season after season.
That seems plenty to justify Chris's comment - they may not as big as United or City or Liverpool; very few are - but still they're a pretty decent sized club.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How annoying is it when teams say they are a big club because they won the European cup in 1754.

IMO history means nothing when it comes to defining a ‘big’ club, Forest are a historic club with a rich history, but I wouldn’t define them as a big club anymore. For me big club is a mixture of current standing and fan base, not historic trophies. Maybe just me though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How annoying is it when teams say they are a big club because they won the European cup in 1754.

IMO history means nothing when it comes to defining a ‘big’ club, Forest are a historic club with a rich history, but I wouldn’t define them as a big club anymore. For me big club is a mixture of current standing and fan base, not historic trophies. Maybe just me though.

Wouldn't describe yourself as one of the romantics then? :D:hilton:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

They're not historic trophies though

They are trophies in our lifetime

It doesn't matter how big our West Stand is

Until someone opens the door on our trophy cabinet and puts something bloody in there

We will always be seen as pretenders by other clubs supporters

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Midlands wise i'd probably put them in-between Villa and Wolves in the scheme of things.

Hard to gauge though..the points system for each trophy/league win etc is quite a good way to do it..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Any club that has won the equivalent of the Champion’s League twice is a big club in my eyes. Leeds put themselves forward as a big club and how many times have they won it? City? Arsenal? Chelsea? Nope they haven’t done as well as Forest

Forest have played 20 games in the equivalent of the Champion’s League and won it twice

European Cup used to mean something. The very pinnacle of European success. Forest won it TWICE. The UK Clash Of Titans in Europe was when Celtic met Leeds over two legs in the semi-final of the European Cup in 1970. Two Tribes at the height of their powers. Attendances yet to be matched to this day

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
In interviews he has given is clearly very pleased to be there

Very understated in some ways but no doubt busy getting some confidence back into the players

On paper they finished 7th last season and have strengthened since then but doing badly this season

Suspect he reckons it wont take too much to get them back to winning ways

Should be get them a top six finish he will be worshipped by the Forest faithful who generally rate last season as their best one for ten years or so

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They're not historic trophies though

They are trophies in our lifetime

It doesn't matter how big our West Stand is

Until someone opens the door on our trophy cabinet and puts something bloody in there

We will always be seen as pretenders by other clubs supporters

True, that. Rest of the football world, judging by HYS comments here, there and everywhere, sees us a just another Bournemouth or Southampton, just making up the numbers, just hanging on in there until suddenly one day we don't. Would be great to prove them wrong, just for one day. Hard to see where that day's coming from tho

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It is incredible to think that it is 21 years since Forest were last in the Prem when their boss was Big Ron Atkinson. Anyone under 25 will not remember them in the top flight.

I remember when I was 16 when Massive got promoted back into the old Division 1 after a 14-year absence and I remember thinking what all the fuss was about. Who ARE Sheffield Wednesday?

Same here. It's all relative to your age. When I was young Burnley had just left the top flight. But they are a big old footballing name.

It is easy to forget that Forest only spend 7 years outside the top flight between 1957 and 1997.

Makes them as big as Leeds United really.

But let's not go there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here